Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

2023 Rivian R1T: Car and Driver 10Best Trucks and SUVs

The great-driving and fully capable R1T is a perfect pickup.

It just so happens that we elected three pickups to our 10BestTrucks list, in sizes small, medium, and large. When you take out the typical truck negatives of a jarring ride, a noisy cabin, and wallet-busting fuel economy, you're left with a practical package consumers want. In the same way that the '90s popularized SUVs as a cool vehicle choice, the 2010s normalized the pickup. And the medium-size Rivian R1T is the best-driving pickup we've encountered.
Rivian R1T R1S 🏆 2023 Rivian R1T Named a Car and Driver 10Best Trucks and SUVs 2023-10best-trucks-suvs-009-1673376790
Sponsored

Last edited:

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Ford Maverick and RAM 1500 were the only other trucks on the list, the rest SUVs, but no R1S:

" The acceleration and range aren't solely what make the Rivian a winner. The interior design looks like the future, the seats are comfortable, and the cabin materials are ones no contractor would recognize. Then there's the exemplary on-road dynamics (unfortunately, they're not shared by the R1T's shorter-wheelbase SUV counterpart, the R1S, which is part of the reason it's not on the list). "

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ford Maverick and RAM 1500 were the only other trucks on the list, the rest SUVs, but no R1S:

" The acceleration and range aren't solely what make the Rivian a winner. The interior design looks like the future, the seats are comfortable, and the cabin materials are ones no contractor would recognize. Then there's the exemplary on-road dynamics (unfortunately, they're not shared by the R1T's shorter-wheelbase SUV counterpart, the R1S, which is part of the reason it's not on the list). "
Just more crapping on the R1S because they tested it before the most recent update.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Just more crapping on the R1S because they tested it before the most recent update.
Is it up to R1T standards yet? I didn't think they got there yet with the last update.

I predict we'll see another review this year sometime, probably some sort of "SUV shootout" type thing where hopefully the R1S can redeem itself.

bbenoit726

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
"Then there's the exemplary on-road dynamics (unfortunately, they're not shared by the R1T's shorter-wheelbase SUV counterpart, the R1S, which is part of the reason it's not on the list)."

How hopeful can we be that this will be addressed with software updates? Is there anything inherently different about the S that CAN'T be addressed by tuning things to match?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

"Then there's the exemplary on-road dynamics (unfortunately, they're not shared by the R1T's shorter-wheelbase SUV counterpart, the R1S, which is part of the reason it's not on the list)."

How hopefully can we be that this will be addressed with software updates? Is there anything inherently different about the S that CAN'T be addressed by tuning things to match?
Rivian doesn't have the system that cross links front and back, only side to side, so they have to do tuning outside of what the system was designed for in order to get rid of the porpising. It could be they didn't want to make such a big leap with it in their first real update and they have more room to improve it. I have yet to drive an R1S but the amount of improvement in my T was significant.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I thought some of the handling 'issues' had to do with the shorter wheelbase vs the R1T??

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
As an R1S owner the ride is still horrible. It’s disappointing hearing the comments from friends and family who we are excited to take on rides comment on bouncy and unsettled it drives. Really hope Rivian can address with updates but fear it’s a hardware issue.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Maybe Rivian should have made sure they fixed that prior to sending them out for reviews?

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I thought some of the handling 'issues' had to do with the shorter wheelbase vs the R1T??
True that the wheelbase, being different than the R1T is a direct component of handling, but in context of the suspension tuning and the rest of the vehicle (center of gravity, etc.). That is to say, it is not un-realistic to think that progress can be made with OTA suspension tuning that would virtually eliminate any concerns.

A limiting factor however may be the geometry of the suspension components themselves in context of the shorter vehicle. Only time will tell if they addressed geometry in the R1S or simply shortened the sled and are counting on tuning the software.

I don't mean to say that if the geometry is identical to the R1T, software cannot make up the difference. But by and of itself, the shorter wheelbase doesn't have to be a problem. Plenty of vehicles shorter than the R1S are fine.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
As an R1S owner the ride is still horrible. It’s disappointing hearing the comments from friends and family who we are excited to take on rides comment on bouncy and unsettled it drives. Really hope Rivian can address with updates but fear it’s a hardware issue.
It's not a hardware issue. The air suspension just needs to get tuned in a bit more. That's the beauty of air suspension. If it did this on coils then you'd be right - it'd be a hardware problem.

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
Well this sucks. I was hoping the R1S would drive better & smoother than the R1T which I drove at the first mile event and liked but it was jerky and bumpy. I thought they would make the R1S less for off-road utilitarian driving like the R1T and more road comfort like a regular SUV. Perhaps the air suspension algorithm for the R1S is not completely dialed in or its the same as the R1T settings and needs to be rewritten for the R1S

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
True that the wheelbase, being different than the R1T is a direct component of handling, but in context of the suspension tuning and the rest of the vehicle (center of gravity, etc.). That is to say, it is not un-realistic to think that progress can be made with OTA suspension tuning that would virtually eliminate any concerns.

A limiting factor however may be the geometry of the suspension components themselves in context of the shorter vehicle. Only time will tell if they addressed geometry in the R1S or simply shortened the sled and are counting on tuning the software.

I don't mean to say that if the geometry is identical to the R1T, software cannot make up the difference. But by and of itself, the shorter wheelbase doesn't have to be a problem. Plenty of vehicles shorter than the R1S are fine.
Would be nice to see them address as much as they can on the R1S with OTA updates. I wonder if at some stage they might come out with a long wheelbase R1S the R1SL and use the R1T wheelbase.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Surprised / impressed Hyundai motor group has 4 out of the 10 spots

Genesis GV70
Hyundai Ionic 5
Kia EV6
Kia Telluride

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

So... should I take a R1S delivery or no?
Sponsored