Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

The same can be said for Canadian deliveries, unfortunately in the quarterly filings they only state total R1 Preorders of 90K+, both Canadian and US combined. Demand is most certainly stronger in the US, but not so insignificant that it didn't warrant the push to deliver into the Canadian market as soon as possible.
Yeah, I can't help but think Rivian really wantsto start delivering cars in Canada even though "there is more opportunity in the US". I say this because they're already delivering late 21 orders on the R1T in the US and they have yet to deliver a single Canadian R1. At the end of the day with more and more EVs flooding the market at least some of those pre-order holders in Canada will cancel to move onto something else (a friend of mine has already picked up a Lightning)
Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I don’t think there’s any rule about lights in bumpers. The rule is just that the bumper needs to meet a 5mph crash standard (without damage), which is twice as fast as the US standard (or at least that’s what the rule was 10 years ago). It seems the the issue with the Thunderbird was that the lights would get damaged in a 5mph collision.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don’t think there’s any rule about lights in bumpers. The rule is just that the bumper needs to meet a 5mph crash standard (without damage), which is twice as fast as the US standard (or at least that’s what the rule was 10 years ago). It seems the the issue with the Thunderbird was that the lights would get damaged in a 5mph collision.
The bumper standard has been harmonized between CMVSS and FMVSS since.

There's two big lighting ones - fog/driving lights can't be less than 100mm from the headlight centre to centre. And DRL, with automatic or always on head/tail/instrument lights being required from last September or so. Although that may have been pushed back again.

Dcavalheiro

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad / Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
IT
Clubs

At the end of the day with more and more EVs flooding the market at least some of those pre-order holders in Canada will cancel to move onto something else (a friend of mine has already picked up a Lightning)
I am not canceling, but I just got a Model Y while I'm waiting, and on top, I moved my reservation to the max-pack back and all extra junk they can throw at me, since I got locked into the old price.

Basically I will get my 2025(hopefully) R1T with 2018 price.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I’m keeping my preorder but the Polestar 3/Volvo EX90 are generating more buzz for me now.

Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
I'm sure they are getting it sorted out.
My guess is it's some metric vs imperial thing.

A bit of coding. how to say km/hr in Francais, or kw/100km maybe

I'm betting my max-pack delivery will still be when I predicted before, which was late spring/early summer 2023

Luckily I have my Kona EV to commute in. Patiently waiting, because when I get it, all the app, software growing pains will be sorted out, as well as all the other issues.

My wife on the other hand is extremely impatient, as I am commuting in "her" car.

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Update -- looks like Rivian has now been certified to delivery R1T and R1S in Canada. 👍

Rivian receives Transport Canada certification to deliver R1T and R1S in Canada
September 29, 2022​
Today we have some good news for Canadian reservation holders. Rivian reached out exclusively to Drive Tesla this afternoon to let us know that as of today they are now certified and registered with Transport Canada and can legally begin delivering their EVs in Canada.​
The Transport Canada website for the ‘Preclearance List of Recognized Vehicle Importers’ has already been updated to include Rivian, showing that both the R1T (Truck OEM) and R1S (MPV) are included in the certification.​
Rivian R1T R1S 🇨🇦 [Update Sep 29 - Rivian Receives Clearance Certification to Import R1T / R1S!] Rivian failed to meet Transport Canada requirements to import preclearance-importers
With this big hurdle now out of the way, Rivian deliveries in Canada will hopefully begin soon.​
A company spokesperson was not able to tell us when they might start, saying they will first reach out to early reservation holders to let them know before making the news public.​
But based on the other work Rivian has been doing behind the scenes, we expect that to happen soon, and we also expect the first deliveries to take place in Vancouver.​

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Update -- looks like Rivian has now been certified to delivery R1T and R1S in Canada. 👍

Rivian receives Transport Canada certification to deliver R1T and R1S in Canada
September 29, 2022​
Today we have some good news for Canadian reservation holders. Rivian reached out exclusively to Drive Tesla this afternoon to let us know that as of today they are now certified and registered with Transport Canada and can legally begin delivering their EVs in Canada.​
The Transport Canada website for the ‘Preclearance List of Recognized Vehicle Importers’ has already been updated to include Rivian, showing that both the R1T (Truck OEM) and R1S (MPV) are included in the certification.​
preclearance-importers.jpg
With this big hurdle now out of the way, Rivian deliveries in Canada will hopefully begin soon.​
A company spokesperson was not able to tell us when they might start, saying they will first reach out to early reservation holders to let them know before making the news public.​
But based on the other work Rivian has been doing behind the scenes, we expect that to happen soon, and we also expect the first deliveries to take place in Vancouver.​
Awesome!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Hell yeah Canada!

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Amen.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unexpected! Well that was a pretty crazy fast turnaround from yesterday.
I was was saying yesterday, the report was new but we did not know how old the failure really was. The things listed in the Rivian 10k had a lot of items that were in the last software update. I had a feeling they were much closer than that report was insinuating.

Longreach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata
Huh… That means it must have been a very minor label/display or documentation issue.

A opportunity for the mandarins at Transport Canada to demonstrate their apparent sovereignty over important national transportation issues.

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Do we know if they got approval for both the R1T and R1S?
Sponsored