Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Quest
Occupation
Marketer
Lets give Rivian the support they need.
I would argue vocal complaints IS the support Rivian needs. Such complaints have already caused them to reverse at least one bad decision. They NEED to hear when stuff is likely to scare off future buyers.
Sponsored

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

While I never wanted the powered cover and I’m good with them halting production of it until they come out with a true revision for those who do, if it’s true they won’t retro fit it after delivery, then that is a kick to the balls and almost an insult. Does this mean for those who had a Q4 delivery, are now pushed to 2023 and those who we’re 2023 with the manual/no cover could now be Q4?

gordonrands

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius Plug-in hybrid, 1997 Dodge Dakota
Occupation
university professor
Clubs

Good idea until Rivian says the max pack is no longer available!
At that point I'll probably just delay it and go with the Silverado or the Cybertruck if either of them are reasonably priced once introduced. Sure glad that I made early reservations on each of those.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Does this mean for those who had a Q4 delivery, are now pushed to 2023 and those who we’re 2023 with the manual/no cover could now be Q4?
It shouldn't affect delivery timing unless you are trying to intentionally delay delivery until the powered cover is available. The email makes it seem like until further notice everyone only has two options, manual or none, and when it's time for your build you need to pick one of those two. So anyone with a Q4 delivery date should still get their truck on time, just without a powered tonneau (unless they change their config in an attempt to delay delivery).

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
While I never wanted the powered cover and I’m good with them halting production of it until they come out with a true revision for those who do, if it’s true they won’t retro fit it after delivery, then that is a kick to the balls and almost an insult. Does this mean for those who had a Q4 delivery, are now pushed to 2023 and those who we’re 2023 with the manual/no cover could now be Q4?
It more likely means those with manual/ no cover jumped in front of those who still want the powered version. I want manual but that still is BS for those who have been waiting for 3+ years.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

As several others have asked, what happens to those of us who already have the powered tonneau in a disabled/bricked state?

will conversion to Manual cover plus credit be an option?

conversion to no-cover plus credit?

A part of me does like the idea of converting the auto-cover space to a toolbox.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
It shouldn't affect delivery timing unless you are trying to intentionally delay delivery until the powered cover is available. The email makes it seem like until further notice everyone only has two options, manual or none, and when it's time for your build you need to pick one of those two. So anyone with a Q4 delivery date should still get their truck on time, just without a powered tonneau (unless they change their config in an attempt to delay delivery).
A change to Max Pack will result in a “Late 2023” EDD.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

As several others have asked, what happens to those of us who already have the powered tonneau in a disabled/bricked state?

will conversion to Manual cover plus credit be an option?

conversion to no-cover plus credit?

A part of me does like the idea of converting the auto-cover space to a toolbox.
This would make me absolutely crazy if I'd already taken delivery. Did they send this email out without figuring this out first? Has legal and accounting even been consulted before this half-baked cancelation went out? If so, why keep it a secret? No way they can just disable the feature you purchased and cut you a check. You bought a powered tonneau and it's under warranty. This is going to piss off so many people. When did amateur hour start? Imagine if Tesla had a problem with the falcon doors on the Model X when it came out and they said, "No we can't fix it so you're going to just have to lift them."

QGessner

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Hi Adam,​
We recently shared with R1T owners that we are upgrading the powered tonneau cover. As we go through the process, we are removing the powered tonneau cover from production. We plan to re-introduce this feature later, but a date has not been set. For the foreseeable future, all R1Ts will come with either a manual tonneau cover or no tonneau cover.

Since you have selected a powered tonneau cover, your configuration will need to be updated to either a manual tonneau cover or no tonneau cover. It’s important to note this choice will not impact your delivery timing estimate coming later this month.

Our manual tonneau cover is comprised of four interlocking panels constructed of a durable aluminum composite that slide in and out of the bed’s integrated siderails. When not in use, the panels store in a cargo bag and fit easily in the Gear Tunnel. The manual tonneau cover is fully lockable and offers protection against light weather. If you are taking delivery soon, your panels will ship later. Our current estimate is early 2023. Photos and a full demonstration of the manual tonneau cover will be shared before then.

If you choose no tonneau cover, vehicles delivered in the next few months will include the integrated siderails in the bed. In early 2023, we will transition to a design without the integrated siderails. It’s worth noting that when driving an R1T with no tonneau cover, there is little to no impact on range when the bed is empty.​

If you have any questions on this update, our team is here to help. Please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement​

Rivian continues to strip away the reasons that I wanted the vehicle in the first place. Since they didn’t mention it in the email, I highly doubt they are going to make it available at the $1500 price that was locked in prior to this. He Elon, when you have the cyber truck out?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

This would make me absolutely crazy if I'd already taken delivery. Did they send this email out without figuring this out first? Has legal and accounting even been consulted before this half-baked cancelation went out? If so, why keep it a secret? No way they can just disable the feature you purchased and cut you a check. You bought a powered tonneau and it's under warranty. This is going to piss off so many people. When did amateur hour start? Imagine if Tesla had a problem with the falcon doors on the Model X when it came out and they said, "No we can't fix it so you're going to just have to lift them."
They emailed us a couple Fridays ago that a retrofit to Tonneau2.0 will happen sometime 2023.

current owners did not get this email about halting Tonneau1.0 production and would not know about it unless they are on a forum like this.

To me, the two sets of separate communications raise some questions. Like, why are they willing to retrofit v2.0 in 12,000 existing trucks, but not for upcoming deliveries? Maybe I missed something there.

The lack of tonneau has not impacted the enjoyment of our truck. In fact we configured with a no-tonneau option but Guide “found a truck” in our configuration that had the tonneau and we jumped on it, knowing full well that it was likely to fail, which it promptly did. I’m am curious as to how this will actually all shake out though.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Guys Guys, stop complaining for every single thing !!! we all knew this is a brand new vehicle, designed by a 35 year old guy that never designed a car, leave alone an electric pickup..... So we are going to have issues, deal with them and in the meantime enjoy what the truck has to offer and remember, there is none, zero, cars like this in the market.

One more thing, I hear a lot of people crying about "PRE" March pricing.... I want my pre march prices on the tonneau, the gear camping, bla bla bla...... Listen, the world has changed, is not the same world of 2 years ago, we are in a complete different escenario, If we don't pay the current market prices we are going to bankrupt the company and then what ? get a cybertruck ? a Lighthing ? FUCK NO ! I LOVE MY RIVIAN, Lets give Rivian the support they need.
IDGAF about the price going up, or features being removed. Whatever nothing that couldn’t be lived with.

it’s the way those things have been handled that is the issue.

telling Rivian they’ve shit the bed in a big way is in fact giving them “the support they need”.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Guys! Guys, calm down and look at the bright side, we are still supposed to get u dated delivery dates at the end of the month.

“It’s important to note this choice will not impact your delivery timing estimate coming later this month.”

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

To me, the two sets of separate communications raise some questions. Like, why are they willing to retrofit v2.0 in 12,000 existing trucks, but not for upcoming deliveries? Maybe I missed something there.
If the new one isn't anywhere near ready, there could be 25k+ future R1T owners over the next year waiting for a retrofit, on top of the existing trucks. WIth the limited service network, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to avoid creating an even bigger service mess down the line with tens of thousands of trucks needing fairly substantial service appointments for installation.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

If the new one isn't anywhere near ready, there could be 25k+ future R1T owners over the next year waiting for a retrofit, on top of the existing trucks. WIth the limited service network, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to avoid creating an even bigger service mess down the line with tens of thousands of trucks needing fairly substantial service appointments for installation.
Makes sense. I hope they let me delay my order until it's ready. I can wait. Seems like an obvious question to address in a FAQ or mention it in the announcement. I understand for many that this isn't important but the powered tonneau was a big selling point for me.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Exactly this,

it sucks to see features stripped, and I really have no idea where this leaves the rest of us that have the covers if they break - but they'd be digging themselves a massive hole continuing to sell this option which not only burns cash but jams up the service department for everyone else. I don't see what else they should do here.

I think it's a bad sign if they remove the rails as the email indicates - it seems to suggest there's no fix coming and the option will be simply discontinued, or it would require a redesign that is impossible to retrofit.
Sponsored

Last edited: