Sponsored

GreenBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mine were well under 90...more like 10. Actually thought my 21mm socket wasn't on the nut at first.....but it was! Also this reduced front end noise I have been hearing by alot. I would call it normal now I think(except small half shaft noises still).

I have my appointment this week to officially have them factory torqued and logged.

What is sad is truck was in not too long ago for front end noise and they sent it back as normal. Too bad when suspension noise is noted, that a torque check isn't even performed as part of the investigation and instead it deemed normal.
Same here. Sent it in for clicking noise, they kept it for 2 days, said they re-greased the shafts, same noise came back 2 days later.
Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Haha…..you don’t tell NHSTA when they will issue a recall. Rivian wanted to get in front of the recall being formally released by NHSTA, which was smart on their part.

People already get in an uproar about stupid stuff, so I can only imagine what they’d say about this.
The market went nuts over the recall. Felt like a major overreaction to me. I had mine fixed this morning at my house with a mobile service truck. Took the guy less than 5 minutes. I was surprised about how much he had to torque both sides down.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
The market went nuts over the recall. Felt like a major overreaction to me. I had mine fixed this morning at my house with a mobile service truck. Took the guy less than 5 minutes. I was surprised about how much he had to torque both sides down.
The market and media go nuts over the smallest things when it comes to recalls and anything similar.

I think they were also increasing the torque from 70ft-lbs to 120ft-lbs or something along those lines. That’s a lot of tightening to increase 50ft-lbs.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
The market and media go nuts over the smallest things when it comes to recalls and anything similar.

I think they were also increasing the torque from 70ft-lbs to 120ft-lbs or something along those lines. That’s a lot of tightening to increase 50ft-lbs.
That explains all the rotations.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Just had mine done in Denver. Easy peasy.

Anyways, my tech said that the factory line was using torque wrenches that are not Snap-on. That led to improper torque. He also said the Snap-Ons they have are Bluetooth enabled and report their torque on every nut.
I thought that was interesting.

Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I torqued mine to 90ft/lbs. it was much looser than that, so I don’t see how it could have moved up to 120ft/lb. The factory spec could not have been 90ft/lb as many have said it was 45ft/lb prior to tightening. 90 seems right. I think mine was probably 45 prior to tightening as well.

Rivianut

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Pilot
I dropped by the Miami service center because I happened to be in the area. They handled it like pros and repaired some other issues I had. Recall fix was 10 minutes, my other issues were another 25 minutes. Really a great experience. Got to check out an R1S, really excited to take delivery of that when it’s our time. They handled this recall really well in my opinion/experience.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Some of you have torqued your own which is good. But if they were real loose I would mention it to the techs when you go in to get it checked and signed off. One of the things they are looking for is abnormal wear on the control arm/knuckle fastener. If you bring it in already torqued they may think all has been fine and may not inspect for wear.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Mobile tech came to my workplace and was done in 2 minutes. He said it was at 70.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Updated spec is 120 lb-ft per techs. Just had mine done.
Not 120 lb-ft, 120 nM.
See the attached service order.
That is 88.5 lb-ft as mentioned in earlier posts.
Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Rivian Recall: insufficiently torqued front upper control arm & steering knuckle fastener [official torque value = 90 lb-ft / 122 Nm] 4A37B98A-A0A1-47B7-8284-8A48E890C2DE

Sponsored

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure; 2020 BMW X5
Yep…figured that out after my buddies and I had this exact conversation. It was not on our work orders, however. Good correction.

Not 120 lb-ft, 120 nM.
4A37B98A-A0A1-47B7-8284-8A48E890C2DE.png

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not 120 lb-ft, 120 nM.
4A37B98A-A0A1-47B7-8284-8A48E890C2DE.png
This is making me nervous for all the people that said the tech was tightening to 120 ft*lbs. That's a big enough difference it could cause an eventual bolt failure. Maybe the tech just told them "120" and they extrapolated the units.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I noticed that the title of this thread changed to include, “official torque value = 90 lb-ft/122 nm” the closest to an official number I’ve seen is 120 nM from my service order. While the title quite close to that why isn’t it “120 nM/88.5 lb-ft?” Is there an official number I haven’t seen?
@Administrator

AZBruin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
Drove to the Phoenix Center this afternoon. I was immediately greeted by a staff member who confirmed that I was there for the recall. After verifying some vehicle info, she had me set the vehicle in rock mode at the highest setting. I drove into the service area and was greeted by a technician. His only tool was a torque wrench and he checked both sides in just a couple of minutes. He didn't say and I didn't ask if mine was out of spec. My truck had 2900 miles with absolutely no shake, shimmy, or rock and roll so I was confident there wasn't an issue. A quick stop at the exit to esign the service order and I was on my way. Mine was the only vehicle in for the recall while I was there.

epona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
i was offline this weekend and just heard about the hoopla. i do not have any emails from rivian regarding this recall, and i took delivery about a week ago. should i check in with my service center? not sure if this was for all deliveries and they just forgot to tell me, or if i'm in the clear.
Sponsored