First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
Mine was there for service when the recall was announced. I was there mainly for the alignment issue (slight drift to the right). Between those two things the truck (50+ miles) since it was returned has been night in day in feel and alignment seems spot on. I thought for a while I was overthinking this but glad to see i wasn’t.
For those going thru the same issue, it can be fixed. Hopefully the how is making its way thru the service centers.
Sponsored

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Well mine is unfortunately one of the few. Mobile tech was going to be in my area so they called and asked if they could stop by. My drivers side was down to 15Nm which was below the threshold for doing just a retorque. So now mine needs to be towed back to service center where they will replace the upper control arm. Tech said he couldn't see any wear but out of an abundance of caution they want to replace it. He retorqued it anyway but it sucks since we were planning a trip for next week in the truck that we now have to do in a rental.

Last edited:

scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 1250GS
Clubs

Popped into the Chicago SC this morning and got it taken care of. Literally 60 seconds job. Pressed my luck and asked about a tire rotation (with spare) and they had a free lift and nothing waiting so had that handled too. Cost: $80. Staff there are always great.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Well mine is unfortunately one of the few. Mobile tech was going to be in my area so they called and asked if they could stop by. My drivers side was down to 15Nm which was below the threshold for doing just a retorque. So now mine needs to be towed back to service center where they will replace the upper control arm. Tech said he couldn't see any wear but out of an abundance of caution they want to replace it. He retorqued it anyway but it sucks since we were planning a trip for next week in the truck that we now have to do in a rental.
I am surprised they aren't replacing the upper control arm (to basically replace the ball joint) and then the steering knuckle, too.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I am surprised they aren't replacing the upper control arm (to basically replace the ball joint) and then the steering knuckle, too.
It's entirely possible they didn't state everything that they would be replacing. We'll see what the statement of work says when I get it.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's entirely possible they didn't state everything that they would be replacing. We'll see what the statement of work says when I get it.
Agree. Please keep us informed. I still need to find a knocking noise in mine over larger impact type bumps.

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Just finished recall service this morning. Tightened from 70 to 122nm. Took literally 6 pulls on the left from, and only 2 on Right front. He said he's done 50+ so far and none of them have been out of spec or shown excessive wear. He had 21 appointments today in Charlotte area, and said he's in Charlotte for 3 days along with another tech. Didn't think there were that many in town.

Service center in NC or SC he said can't happen until legislature changes. Tesla got exemption before the NC auto dealers got the state legislature to ban any non-dealer setups.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Done in about 5min, miscommunication between service scheduler and field tech on time window, so I was already out running errands when field tech called me. Met me in a Walmart parking lot nearby and got it done.

They were both very close to what had been set at the factory low 60's on the left, high 50's on the right. Truck has always pulled slightly to the right (even after going back to the service center for an alignment) - which lines up with lower torque setting on right control arm. Truck no longer pulls to the right and *feels* like slightly less play in the steering wheel.

Tech said original factory spec was 62 or 66? (can't remember exactly), but new guidance was torquing to 120 to completely eliminate any possibility of slippage.

1shadowsabre

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
Exactly - the stock fell 7% today as a result. Nobody is reporting the real story. And they will never report a similar recall by Ford, GM, Toyota or even Tesla as headline news.
ANY EV recall is headline news.... especially Tesla

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So I crawled under to try and torque it, but it's surprisingly hard to get leverage at that angle. Maybe I'm just a wimp?

While under there, I spotted this. What is it and why am I pulling it back where it goes?
Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Rivian Recall: insufficiently torqued front upper control arm & steering knuckle fastener [official torque value = 90 lb-ft / 122 Nm] PXL_20221023_232749830

The other side was fine
Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Rivian Recall: insufficiently torqued front upper control arm & steering knuckle fastener [official torque value = 90 lb-ft / 122 Nm] PXL_20221023_232743456

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So I crawled under to try and torque it, but it's surprisingly hard to get leverage at that angle. Maybe I'm just a wimp?

While under there, I spotted this. What is it and why am I pulling it back where it goes?
PXL_20221023_232749830.jpg

The other side was fine
PXL_20221023_232743456.jpg
Easier to get access when the wheels are at the stops left or right.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

PXL_20221023_232749830.jpg

The other side was fine
PXL_20221023_232743456.jpg
Structurally, I think it’s ok…I’m not a mechanic…but it should be moving with the strut tower. Looks like it got loose or maybe the rubber accordion cover has a crack and allowed it to move off the attachment point? I’ve been drinking…maybe I’m just describing the photo. 😂

Last edited:

AMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Hi everyone, so I'm the guy that decided to bring my R1T with me to Europe. I'm super excited and can't wait to drive it here. My truck is also impacted by the recall. I have not had any issues driving it in the US (no drifting to left or right or any clunks), but I'd want to torque the upper control arm/steering knuckle fasteners to the correct level. Obviously there's no service here yet - something I was well aware of when making the decision - so I'll be doing this myself. I found on this thread that the torque should be set to 120NM and that the nut is 21mm. Is this correct? Also I gather there's not a ton of space to torque the fasteners, so should I buy a special, extra short torque wrench? Thanks! Dolf

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Hi everyone, so I'm the guy that decided to bring my R1T with me to Europe. I'm super excited and can't wait to drive it here. My truck is also impacted by the recall. I have not had any issues driving it in the US (no drifting to left or right or any clunks), but I'd want to torque the upper control arm/steering knuckle fasteners to the correct level. Obviously there's no service here yet - something I was well aware of when making the decision - so I'll be doing this myself. I found on this thread that the torque should be set to 120NM and that the nut is 21mm. Is this correct? Also I gather there's not a ton of space to torque the fasteners, so should I buy a special, extra short torque wrench? Thanks! Dolf

A stand torque wrench should be plenty of space/what you need. Correct on the values and size of socket. I DIY prior to the tech coming and just set car to a high rise height and turn wheels lock to lock each side.

AMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Thanks Godfodder0901, good to know. Would you have a link to a stand torque wrench I can check out?
Sponsored