Sponsored

“Service Suspension System Soon”

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
This notification popped up today after going over a speed bump. Truck seems to be driving normally, and air suspension still lifts and drops without issue. I’ve already spoken to service folks and they are on it. We did the sleep cycle reset, and that didn’t clear it. Next step is diagnostics pulling data to see what they can determine remotely. I can update this thread as the issue progresses in the event it helps others.

It’s been a wonderful 24 hours driving it, though! Hope they don’t take it from me. :(

Rivian R1T R1S “Service Suspension System Soon” 4941AEC7-CFA4-4EF0-95FF-52199BEA256C
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Seems like a quick service schedule. ?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Bummer, hope it’s something simple.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
This notification popped up today after going over a speed bump. Truck seems to be driving normally, and air suspension still lifts and drops without issue. I’ve already spoken to service folks and they are on it. We did the sleep cycle reset, and that didn’t clear it. Next step is diagnostics pulling data to see what they can determine remotely. I can update this thread as the issue progresses in the event it helps others.

It’s been a wonderful 24 hours driving it, though! Hope they don’t take it from me. :(

4941AEC7-CFA4-4EF0-95FF-52199BEA256C.jpeg
I had the same issue with my 2014 Tesla when I first got it. Ended up taking in a few times and one of the air struts was replaced. (not that it is necessarily comparable). But hopefully it's just a sensor issue.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I have seen this before in my R1. Except I was out of warranty. Thank GOD it was a nightmare I woke up from.

Please keep us posted, specially if you can get technical details from them on exactly what went wrong instead of usual “you are too stupid to understand” response in a friendly format. Then again if it was a missing bolt a robot forgot during assembly, you may not hear about it.

hope you get it sorted out soon and can enjoy it worry free.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ATL_Canes

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No update yet from service - diagnostics is still reviewing. They really take this "soon" mantra pretty seriously!

For those that have had suspension issues in cars (I admit I'm relatively dumb when it comes to cars), wouldn't it be painfully obvious if something was really wrong? I've driven 150 miles since the service light popped on, and there was no noticeable change at the moment it did come on and thereafter. The suspension lifts and lowers without issue. To my uneducated mind, it seems like if there was something really wrong with the suspension, it would be REALLY noticeable when driving.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

For what its worth I am sure almost all of these errors (though could not be the case here) are minor glitches in software or voltage for suspension/hydraulic system etc. I have seen voltage differences cause so many errors and its only temporary. I would try a Reset if and when it becomes an issue to a point where it affects driving. My philsophy is unless the car prevents me from going, ill ignore every single message (Alfa Motto).

Rivian R1T R1S “Service Suspension System Soon” 1649185197830

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
For what its worth I am sure almost all of these errors (though could not be the case here) are minor glitches in software or voltage for suspension/hydraulic system etc. I have seen voltage differences cause so many errors and its only temporary. I would try a Reset if and when it becomes an issue to a point where it affects driving. My philsophy is unless the car prevents me from going, ill ignore every single message (Alfa Motto).

1649185197830.png
Just a heads up I saw on another thread that this hard reset will clear the diagnostic logs that the service department is using to diagnose the issue.

From another service-related thred:

UPDATE: April 1, 2022 - Rivian service followed up on my audio system fail. They diagnosed overnight. The fix was NOT a system reset but having the truck go into “sleep mode”, which it automatically does when in park and away from all keys for 15 minutes. That was a “soft reset” and resolved my problem. They requested that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD AN OWNER PERFORM A SYSTEM RESET WITHOUT RIVIAN SERVICE ADVISEMENT. The full reset wipes out all vehicle logs making it challenging for service to perform future diagnostics

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No update yet from service - diagnostics is still reviewing. They really take this "soon" mantra pretty seriously!

For those that have had suspension issues in cars (I admit I'm relatively dumb when it comes to cars), wouldn't it be painfully obvious if something was really wrong? I've driven 150 miles since the service light popped on, and there was no noticeable change at the moment it did come on and thereafter. The suspension lifts and lowers without issue. To my uneducated mind, it seems like if there was something really wrong with the suspension, it would be REALLY noticeable when driving.
If it's performing fine and will go up and down it's totally fine to drive until they get back to you. (based on my experience with Tesla Air Suspension issues)

Also, I saw somewhere that there was a bulletin about a notice for missing damper plates on some cars. It's possible (though less likely) that it's a notification that you need to get yours in for the recall?

"Rivian is initiating a customer satisfaction campaign for some model year 2022 R1T vehicles that may have been built without the damper reinforcement plate on top of the front damper. Without the damper reinforcement plate, the suspension loads may damage the shock tower over time. A damaged shock tower may result in additional suspension travel, a reduction in suspension stiffness, and abnormal noise noticeable to the customer. Rivian will inspect all affected vehicles. If a vehicle is found without a damper reinforcement plate, a new part will be installed. Rivian is launching this campaign for customer satisfaction and to ensure the quality of Rivian vehicles."

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/RIVIAN/R1T#manufacturerCommunications

OP
OP
ATL_Canes

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it's performing fine and will go up and down it's totally fine to drive until they get back to you. (based on my experience with Tesla Air Suspension issues)

Also, I saw somewhere that there was a bulletin about a notice for missing damper plates on some cars. It's possible (though less likely) that it's a notification that you need to get yours in for the recall?

"Rivian is initiating a customer satisfaction campaign for some model year 2022 R1T vehicles that may have been built without the damper reinforcement plate on top of the front damper. Without the damper reinforcement plate, the suspension loads may damage the shock tower over time. A damaged shock tower may result in additional suspension travel, a reduction in suspension stiffness, and abnormal noise noticeable to the customer. Rivian will inspect all affected vehicles. If a vehicle is found without a damper reinforcement plate, a new part will be installed. Rivian is launching this campaign for customer satisfaction and to ensure the quality of Rivian vehicles."

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2022/RIVIAN/R1T#manufacturerCommunications
And here's where my stupidity shows... can I tell easily if I'm missing damper plates?

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
And here's where my stupidity shows... can I tell easily if I'm missing damper plates?
I believe it's a blackish disk at the top end of the suspension. Somewhere here or on reddit someone wrote about a bumping sound they were hearing while going over certain things and in that thread it was mentioned about this recall. I have no idea if it's your issue at all. It wouldn't be something that alerted you unless they triggered a way to tell you to service soon as a recall notice - but I'm not even sure the system works that way. but worth asking about.

I'm still more inclined to think it's a bad sensor or software glitch than any real problem if you haven't heard or experience and issues while driving in various modes.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Just a heads up I saw on another thread that this hard reset will clear the diagnostic logs that the service department is using to diagnose the issue.

From another service-related thred:

UPDATE: April 1, 2022 - Rivian service followed up on my audio system fail. They diagnosed overnight. The fix was NOT a system reset but having the truck go into “sleep mode”, which it automatically does when in park and away from all keys for 15 minutes. That was a “soft reset” and resolved my problem. They requested that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD AN OWNER PERFORM A SYSTEM RESET WITHOUT RIVIAN SERVICE ADVISEMENT. The full reset wipes out all vehicle logs making it challenging for service to perform future diagnostics

Correct you can also upload logs prior to doing a reset but I caveated with if you are stuck somewhere and cannot actually move in case it becomes a bigger issue in the future.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck

The problem, could be a comma in 5000 lines of proprietary code. The good ol days that Frank in the gas station around the corner could immediately spot it and fix it is long gone.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I'm calling shenanigans. That's no a Rivian notification, otherwise it would have said "s00n" ;)

All jest aside, you did the right thing by communicating this to them. I pray that, if it is an issue, it is one they can catch and address promptly. I look forward towards your report :)