Sponsored

“Production Hell”…I’m a big fan of Tailosive EV’s YT channel

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
…but I was a bit bummed to see how hard he was on Rivian in this one. I will admit the potential issues he circled with fit and finish (especially on the rear lower and hood area) are a bit disconcerting. Hope it was just a photo perspective issue…

Sponsored

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Interesting watch. I have no idea who he is, but feels a lot like reading Electrek - yes, they cover the entire industry, but also seem to lean heavily into the Tesla fandom.

I don't understand the strawman argument of "since Tesla did it, everyone now thinks it's easy to make EVs" (starts at 4:19). Does anyone think it's easy to bring a new vehicle to mass production (EV or ICE)?

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
I thought it was balanced and realistic - it didnt sound like he was bashing Rivian, per se, but how hard bringing an EV to market is and that Rivian will go through some growing pains. Not really news.

OP
OP
MilliM

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Interesting watch. I have no idea who he is, but feels a lot like reading Electrek - yes, they cover the entire industry, but also seem to lean heavily into the Tesla fandom.
That’s about right. I started following him when searching for more Cybertruck content over past year+. Leans heavily Tesla, but does cover other stuff too, and generally in a pretty fair manner IMO.

Based on the pic I can’t really call him nitpicky, but seems to be an element of apologizing for Tesla by pointing out what look to be fit & finish issues with R1T #1.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

I don't understand the strawman argument of "since Tesla did it, everyone now thinks it's easy to make EVs" (starts at 4:19). Does anyone think it's easy to bring a new vehicle to mass production (EV or ICE)?
Yah- you called it. The guy acts like it's a certainty Rivian will have the myriad of production problems that plagued Tesla, proclaimed by this guy with a tinge Tesla superiority...

It's not full Teslafanboi the way some of the other pundits are...I'm thinking of the guy who lambasted Rivian on the useless air pump along the lines of 'why would anybody need an on board air pump'? ?

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

This guy is way way too Tesla fan boy for me to handle...

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MilliM

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
The issues in the photo in his video have already been pointed out on this forum and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this site, or someplace similar, is the source of his info.
Haven't been on the forum much in the past 24 hours so didn't see the thread where these issues were covered, but I absolutely agree that a Rivian forum, this or others, could be catalyst for covering the issues.

I'm not familiar with production line processes in the least, but I would have through that once you're rolling off the line the fit & finish were handled at some final inspection point on the line...not post line. The more I think about it they may not have the right access to the right tools/procedures at the final point on the line to address any and all issues that are uncovered.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Meh.. 6+ minutes of talking and pretty much parroting things alrady said in the press and online.
"Mass production is difficult"....thanks for reminding us, duh.
"Tesla... Tesla ... Tesla.... Tesla.... " We get it, you have no facts about Rivian, so you bring up Tesla's problems. Yawn.

I didn't count, but I'm pretty sure he said "Tesla" and "Elon" many more times than he said "Rivian".

Sponsored

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
It's easy for these "youtubers" to just sit and comment. And yes, most of these are Tesla boys because they only drove a tesla.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Rivian has experienced auto MFG people. Tesla had experienced MFG people…and a ‘leader’ who doesn’t understand the realities of production and probably thinks he knows more than Deming ever did.
Sponsored