Sponsored

“Critical battery issue”

wallyman424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T and 2023 R1S
I tried reading some opinions on that when it was first announced. I found there were some varying opinions on the term "structural" as to how the pack is used in conjunction with the castings to crated a stiffer structure but may still be replaceable. On the surface it doesn't sound great, but has to be replaceable/repairable or they wouldn't go down that production path (I hope).
Structural, but still removable. What will be different vs the current model Y is that the interior will have to be disassembled as the seats are mounted directly to the battery, and the battery makes up the floor of the car. Im sure it adds a few hours to battery pack replacement.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I don't remember ever being stranded. Even with the larger issues, the car was always drivable to the service center and they always had a loaner at the time. We got the 8 year extended warranty that paid off over time for a roof leak and door handles that had to be replaced. I think the other major issues would have been covered under the basic warranty anyway.

In terms of basic reliability - not being stranded - I'd still prefer to have any EV over a new Audi or BMW.
I hope they're aiming for land cruiser reliability

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I don't remember ever being stranded. Even with the larger issues, the car was always drivable to the service center and they always had a loaner at the time. We got the 8 year extended warranty that paid off over time for a roof leak and door handles that had to be replaced. I think the other major issues would have been covered under the basic warranty anyway.

In terms of basic reliability - not being stranded - I'd still prefer to have any EV over a new Audi or BMW.
I had a 2013 S and was at the service center every 2 months as well for various issues, the worst car experience I ever had. However, I did figure out couple of tricks on getting a Tesla Loaner from them.

1- Always go in over dressed. I actually did hear an employee telling another employee " We have business men waiting for loaners, we are not giving them out to guys with flip flops".

2- Your car price :) a P100 will most probably trump an 70D for a loaner. My second Tesla was a 90, I went in with the usual all dressed up attire to get a loaner, and they gave me one that was supposed to go to a lady in a base model 3. They gave her an enterprise instead.

All in all, they did leave me stranded with a completely dead car in -15 weather in Chicago once, with 4 kids and refused to offer me anything in return.

We will hear about issue with Rivian, and as much as I am trying to precondition myself to accept them, my Tesla experience is pushing me towards dumping the early adoption idea. But getting a 95K car for 77K is a good trade off I think for the preliminary problems.

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I did figure out couple of tricks on getting a Tesla Loaner from them.
My personal experience is that I live over 100 miles from Telsa's service center so if it was a big enough repair to take a day, I always got a loaner. I think there was only 2 times I had to wait at the service center for the repair to be complete which I was happy to do because I always hated driving 2 hours to get there dropping off the car, switch car seats out, go home with a loaner and be called that evening or next morning to come pick the car back up.

OP
OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Could you try to get a more detailed explanation of what they think the cause was ("connection left open") for us technical geeks? 🤓

There's an interesting insight here - they are replacing the traction battery, and implying it will take a day or less? Would love to be a fly on the wall to watch that and see how easy/hard it is.

So this is what I got from the service advisor:

One of the connectors of the HV battery was stuck open causing it to have a constant flow of energy. This drained the battery as well as the 12v batteries.

That is the best she was able to provide me....hope that helps

Sponsored

cheffie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MINI Cooper S Conv, VW GTI
Occupation
Chef
Does Rivian offer a loaner car when issues like this come up? I’d have to rent a car if I had to send one in for a few days.

ResidualReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Limited
Occupation
CTO
The whole loaner fleet is about Brand Image and word of mouth as well as getting what you paid for imho.

A Brand that has a vehicle in for repair and does not provide a loaner of equal-ish value seems legacy and the ways of the dealership model.

Uber Credits are also not a solution, Yes a loaner fleet would tie up vehicles but they need to plan accordingly.
Tesla offers ride share credits when the vehicle is in the shop for an extended time... so not sure this is a 'legacy' thing. Typically, only luxury brands like Lexus/BMW/etc offered loaners and even they don't seem to do that anymore in my experience.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy

One of the connectors of the HV battery was stuck open causing it to have a constant flow of energy. This drained the battery as well as the 12v batteries.

Hope they replaced the 12v batteries. The led acid batteries don’t live too long if they have been drained flat.

OP
OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IG: thegreenmachine_R1T
Clubs

Update: Just got off the phone with the Rivian service center advisor and they are having issues updating the software on the truck when they installed the new HV battery. The software that was on the new HV battery was old and it was not accepting the newest update. She told me they have to push the oldest updates first until it can accept the newest update. Once that happens they can actually take the truck for a test drive to make sure everything is good. With that being said.....I have to wait until tomorrow now...so they say

Last edited:

Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Tesla offers ride share credits when the vehicle is in the shop for an extended time... so not sure this is a 'legacy' thing. Typically, only luxury brands like Lexus/BMW/etc offered loaners and even they don't seem to do that anymore in my experience.
I think Tesla is just inconsistent based on the availability of loaners.

I've had 1 problem (cellular chipset died) and an FSD upgrade on my Model 3 in my 4 years of ownership and got Model S loaners both times.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Update: She told me they have to push the oldest updates first until it can accept the newest update. Once that happens they can actually take the truck for a test drive to make sure everything is good.
This happened with my Land Rover. It is odd the manufacturers no longer allow their service to push the latest updates- it seems they're at the mercy of OTA like the rest of us...

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I think Tesla is just inconsistent based on the availability of loaners.

I've had 1 problem (cellular chipset died) and an FSD upgrade on my Model 3 in my 4 years of ownership and got Model S loaners both times.
I saw clip of someone taking truck to service center and getting R1T loaner.... which apparently had some issues as well. Eugene Kim was his name.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'll see what I can get from the service advisor and let you all know
How

Do you know if having high voltage battery problems is common or just a fluke?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
She told me they have to push the oldest updates first until it can accept the newest update. Once that happens they can actually take the truck for a test drive to make sure everything is good. With that being said.....I have to wait until tomorrow now...so they say
That does not sound good. I was hoping I could delay my updates to see if other Rivians blow up first.
Sponsored