First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
Are we at 50 yet? Let's get this thing rolling..........!
Just had a peek at the list. 19 for the Camp Kitchen and 21 for the utility tray. I only post on one forum at a time so I can keep up with the questions--I will post on Rivian Owners on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sooner or later somebody will post it to the Rivian sub reddit which will also help =)
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Hopefully that utility tray gets enough people soon. That will work out really well in my gear tunnel.

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
This looks great! I originally ordered the camp kitchen and was disappointed when Rivian removed it prior to delivery but I’ve since settled on a diy option because it’s really hard to justify the cost, especially when they bundle it with unnecessarily expensive titanium Gucci cookwear that’s nicer than what I have at home. Your option is a perfect middle ground between a diy setup that I’d cobble together vs the very expensive Rivian option. If you hit this price target I think you’ll sell quite a few of these, I’m definitely in for the first production run, hope we get to 50 soon!
Yeah I got quite a kick out of the ultra light weight titanium cookware. They chose a really heavy material for the main structure--I would bet it added 20 plus pounds, then saved 2 pounds with cookware intended for ultra distance backpackers and mountain climbers.

If it were me I would have also gone with a single burner which is plenty for camping--that's how I will be outfitting my personal unit as I would prefer to have the extra counter space.

Sponsored

BPN

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
subaru outback
Apologize if this has been asked already, does the kitchen module share any parts with the gear shuttle? If we had both, do we have to completely remove one to use the other or does the kitchen module utilize the gear shuttle?

If they do share parts, what is the price for both?

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Sorry can't help with that. But yeah, someone needs to punt-it-out of forums to a wider reach.
No worries as I can't post there either. If I am honest, "social media" is not my thing--or as my adult Son likes to say, "your just too old to get it".

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
I’m interested, but I don’t want to sign up until I actually have the truck, which is estimated Feb/March. Assuming I miss this production run, when do you expect to do another?
It will depend entirely on the group--these are more about group projects than typical "products". It could be 3 or 4 months or a year depending on how long it takes to get the second batch of people interested.

If you get your truck by early Feb you may still make the first group.

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Apologize if this has been asked already, does the kitchen module share any parts with the gear shuttle? If we had both, do we have to completely remove one to use the other or does the kitchen module utilize the gear shuttle?

If they do share parts, what is the price for both?
If you are referring the the Rivian gear shuttle, it is not used. If you have that installed it would have to be removed.

The Camp Kitchen, (meaning ours) and the slide out utility tray use a common slide out rail so you only need one and can fairly easily swap between them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Several members have requested a water tank for the spare tire bay on the R1T. This is the mid sized version at 7 inches tall and 20 gallons. I have also done a "Max Pack" full height at 30 gallons that I posted earlier in this thread, but more on that later.

The tank is roto-molded with 4mm thick walls. The removable access hatch is PVC and will have a rotary outlet port that swivels 180 degrees so you can use the hose on both sides of the truck or out the back.

The hard mounted 12VDC pump is submersible. It has holes in the bottom for simple PVC pipe legs that allow you to use the empty tank as a seriously funky / cool camp table--thanks for the idea Jeff =)

The arrowheads--which double as cup holders in table mode--and subtle tribal look are a nod to the Indian in Rivian's name. For those that are not aware, Rivian is derived from River and Indian.

If there is enough interest we can move it to the current projects section and start a sign-up list.

You can find the project thread HERE.

Rivian R1T R1S ʞ [=0===0] k Projects: Slide Out Camp Kitchen / Slide Out Bin Tray spare-tank-v3-01

Rivian R1T R1S ʞ [=0===0] k Projects: Slide Out Camp Kitchen / Slide Out Bin Tray spare-tank-v3-02

Rivian R1T R1S ʞ [=0===0] k Projects: Slide Out Camp Kitchen / Slide Out Bin Tray spare-tank-v3-03

Rivian R1T R1S ʞ [=0===0] k Projects: Slide Out Camp Kitchen / Slide Out Bin Tray spare-tank-v3-04

Rivian R1T R1S ʞ [=0===0] k Projects: Slide Out Camp Kitchen / Slide Out Bin Tray spare-tank-v3-05

Rivian R1T R1S ʞ [=0===0] k Projects: Slide Out Camp Kitchen / Slide Out Bin Tray spare-tank-v3-06

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Several members have requested a water tank for the spare tire bay on the R1T. This is the mid sized version at 7 inches tall and 20 gallons. I have also done a "Max Pack" full height at 30 gallons that I posted earlier in this thread, but more on that later.

The tank is roto-molded with 4mm thick walls. The removable access hatch is PVC and will have a rotary outlet port that swivels 180 degrees so you can use the hose on both sides of the truck or out the back.

The hard mounted 12VDC pump is submersible. It has holes in the bottom for simple PVC pipe legs that allow you to use the empty tank as a seriously funky / cool camp table--thanks for the idea Jeff =)

The arrowheads--which double as cup holders in table mode--and subtle tribal look are a nod to the Indian in Rivian's name. For those that are not aware, Rivian is derived from River and Indian.

If there is enough interest we can move it to the current projects section and start a sign-up list.

You can find the project thread HERE.

spare-tank-v3-01.jpg

spare-tank-v3-02.jpg

spare-tank-v3-03.jpg

spare-tank-v3-04.jpg

spare-tank-v3-05.jpg

spare-tank-v3-06.jpg
Free idea:

1) maximize the volume, non-removable, no handle gaps or table or cup holder, etc. Though I do like the arrow-head imprint and nod to Rivian name origin, I'd make it an imprint, not take up any volume
2) have it pressure rated to say 100 psi with a limiting valve of say 50 psi (or whatever is realistic for materials and production methods for potable water container plastics) … then have a valve to pressurize it with the onboard air … : ) … have an output ball valve and some simple hose attachment.

It's not going to be a "pressure washer" but it could the source to for an instant hot water system for a shower (seems to be a popular thing with overlander, weekender camper types these days with roof rack mounted cylinders) and general camp water, cooking, cleaning.

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Free idea:

1) maximize the volume, non-removable, no handle gaps or table or cup holder, etc. Though I do like the arrow-head imprint and nod to Rivian name origin, I'd make it an imprint, not take up any volume
2) have it pressure rated to say 100 psi with a limiting valve of say 50 psi (or whatever is realistic for materials and production methods for potable water container plastics) … then have a valve to pressurize it with the onboard air … : ) … have an output ball valve and some simple hose attachment.

It's not going to be a "pressure washer" but it could the source to for an instant hot water system for a shower (seems to be a popular thing with overlander, weekender camper types these days with roof rack mounted cylinders) and general camp water, cooking, cleaning.
Thanks for the suggestions =)

A few things to consider. The Max Pack 35 gallon version (mentioned earlier in this thread) holds 300 pounds of water. I have not been able to find any documentation from Rivian stating the spare bay is rated for that kind of weight. Until I do we are capped at 20 gallons and 170 pounds.

This version at 7 inches tall allows for room to store the included hose and sprayer on top of the tank, out of the way when not needed.

There is no practical way to pressurize a plastic tank like this to 100 PSI structurally. In a accident it is basically a bomb. I would worry most people wouldn't bother to depressurize it before driving.

Our all aluminum Roof Rack project has a built in 12 gallon solar heated tank, and can be pressurized to 60 PSI. There is a project page for it Here.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Thanks for the suggestions =)

A few things to consider. The Max Pack 35 gallon version (mentioned earlier in this thread) holds 300 pounds of water. I have not been able to find any documentation from Rivian stating the spare bay is rated for that kind of weight. Until I do we are capped at 20 gallons and 170 pounds.

This version at 7 inches tall allows for room to store the included hose and sprayer on top of the tank, out of the way when not needed.

There is no practical way to pressurize a plastic tank like this to 100 PSI structurally. In a accident it is basically a bomb. I would worry most people wouldn't bother to depressurize it before driving.

Our all aluminum Roof Rack project has a built in 12 gallon solar heated tank, and can be pressurized to 60 PSI. There is a project page for it Here.
The spare bay has to hold a 100lb wheel plus tool kit and deal with vehicle performance, the cargo capacity is an order of magnitude greater … pressurization doesn't increase the pressure it would experience while the vehicle is in motion. I'd say a water bladder/bottle in there needs little more than a waiver when selling to customers "hey, don't be silly if you fill this up and go off-road and jump the truck at 50 mph as as a Baja 1000* support vehicle"

I'm sure there's software to figure out how to pressurize a pancake or toroid to some useful number, it's a matter of a suitable material or liner for potable water, but it's just an idea. I'd say a small high pressure pump would be easier, any RV water pressure system would suffice.

OP
OP

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
The spare bay has to hold a 100lb wheel plus tool kit and deal with vehicle performance, the cargo capacity is an order of magnitude greater … pressurization doesn't increase the pressure it would experience while the vehicle is in motion. I'd say a water bladder/bottle in there needs little more than a waiver when selling to customers "hey, don't be silly if you fill this up and go off-road and jump the truck at 50 mph as as a Baja 1000* support vehicle"

I'm sure there's software to figure out how to pressurize a pancake or toroid to some useful number, it's a matter of a suitable material or liner for potable water, but it's just an idea. I'd say a small high pressure pump would be easier, any RV water pressure system would suffice.
I'm not disagreeing with you--the very first one I designed was the maximum size I could fit in there because I am a big fan of dry camping BLM land and water capacity is king for that. My Skoolie design has 200 gallons of water onboard--that's 1,700 pounds of water, so Preacher meet Choir =)

That being said, the first 10 comments I got were pretty much, "that's too big, too much water, too much weight" and I don't want to take up the entire space with just tank--I want to be able to store the hose and sprayer etc. in there also".

We are not "a company trying to sell products" so much as "a group working on projects" building cool stuff for our trucks. To be super candid, my initial reaction to those comments was, why on earth would you not put in the biggest tank that will fit? If you don't need 35 gallons for a particular trip just fill the tank half way. Better to have the capacity and not need it than to need it and not have it.

But as I thought about it having a place to store the hose and sprayer right in the bay with the tank did make sense. And not everyone wants to do 14 day trips dry camping--they obviously know what they need better than I do and they are taking the time to tell me so I am going to take the time to really listen. It turns out that BOTH ways make sense so the current plan is to do a medium size--20 gallons--that leaves space for the hose and sprayer, and a Max Pack 30 - 35 gallon for dry camping long duration.

I will still need to have some sort of verification from Rivian on the maximum allowable weight. You mentioned a 100 lb spare and tool box which happens to be the 170 lbs I designed the 20 gallon to. There is a BIG difference structurally between 170 lbs and 300 plus. I would rather be right and safe than have people signing waivers.
Sponsored