First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Nice of them to give you credit. Good job elektrek.
I felt very touched; and my wife suffered through my newfound celebrity with a unique grace.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Is the plant planning on creating a large night light source? Does your town have ordinances to limit lights at night?

What makes you think that the plant will make it unsafe for kids?

They'll have to meet your State and local environmental requirements still. And there's little reason to believe that the manufacturing plant is going to damage the water table.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Sounds like @Ann and others have concerns. Possibly they don’t have access to the information. Maybe reach out to Normal IL folks and see if they have noticed any of the concerns. That would be more constructive then complaining about possible problems within a local echo chamber of like minded individuals without facts yet.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Sounds like @Ann and others have concerns. Possibly they don’t have access to the information. Maybe reach out to Normal IL folks and see if they have noticed any of the concerns. That would be more constructive then complaining about possible problems within a local echo chamber of like minded individuals without facts yet.
And also reach out to people in West Point, GA and Montgomery, AL where Kia and Hyundai plants have been built within the last 15 years. The West Point Kia plant is in an area far further afield from Atlanta. The Montgomery Hyundai plant is probably a similar distance from Montgomery, relative to the size of that city vs. Atlanta. The other advantage of talking to people in West Point is that factory is in Georgia, so the Rivian plant will have to meet similar state environmental regulations.

I am sorry for the frustration the plant is causing locals. I understand why many of you feel like this came out of nowhere. I do agree with the advice that you listen with an open mind and that you consider focusing your energy on working with Rivian and the regional development staff to make sure your concerns are heard in a constructive way. That will give you more influence over the process than likely futile efforts to stop the project cold. Adjustments can be made to the plans that will likely address most, if not all, of your concerns. The environmental concerns will be especially important to Rivian since that is an instrumental part of their brand. They will want to prove to you and to the world that they're responsible stewards.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I understand your concerns. Some are factual, some are emotional. Regarding the water table and runoff concerns, that's completely unfounded, provided your local officials ensure that Rivian follows state and federal requirements. And I'm pretty sure that Rivian is fully intent on doing just that, given their Mission Statement and Ethos.

The best thing you can do is inform yourself factually about what is environmentally required by state and federal regulations, and follow this process closely. Let your officials know you are watching.

For stormwater/runoff, they are required by Federal (Google NPDES) and State laws to retain 100% of the runoff on site for whatever is the "megastorm" probability in your area. In my area, it requres a water retention system that will contain water from the largest on record "megastorm" once every 100 years. This is why you will see retention ponds covering many acres 6 - 8 - 10 feet or more deep. Or they build them undergound if surface area is not available. The result from this is that the water is not taken away from your local water table. That's one of the purposes of the plan.

Because they have a paint plant, they should also be required to do an ePA air quality study and control plan.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Because they have a paint plant, they should also be required to do an ePA air quality study and control plan.
I was going to say I'd assume any large development would have to do a SEPA submittal, and then I realized that may not be the case in the South.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I was going to say I'd assume any large development would have to do a SEPA submittal, and then I realized that may not be the case in the South.
Ouch! I did greenfield project work for a large manufacturer in the Athens, AL. area. Yes, the Federal laws do apply and are observed in the south.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ouch! I did greenfield project work for a large manufacturer in the Athens, AL. area. Yes, the Federal laws do apply and are observed in the south.
Right, but many States have more stringent requirements than the federal government, and submittals for projects as wouldn't require one by the federal gov.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm sorry that you don't understand the steps/phases that a project like this follows. They actually have done the first step regarding storm water, etc, as illustrated by the documents publically available. They have done a feasibility study and a site plan and submitted it for approval. That means that they are confident that the site meets their needs and that they can satisfy all permitting requirements. If it was a swamp or they knew it would be impossible to obtain permits, they would have abandoned long ago. But they haven't applied for permits yet, because they CAN'T - it usually has to meet zoning requirements as prerequisite for other permits. From a financial viewpoint, you don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on the permitting process when you don't know that zoning will be approved.

I don't know the specifics of the Rivian project, but these projects in general follow many steps in sequence for a reason, typically like this:
1. Feasibility Study.
2. Site Plan.
3. Negotiation of contingent purchase based on zoning approval, etc.
4. Get needed zoning changes/variances.
5. Possibly finalize the purchase of the real estate (sometimes contingent on getting permits - it varies project to project).
6. Submit plans for various permits - NPDES Stormwater, Ground water use, environmental impact, Air quality study/permit, waste treatment, etc. etc. etc. etc. depending on state and local requirements.
7. If not done, finalize the purchase of the real estate.
8. Site development (earthwork) of Roads, Permanent Retention Ponds and temporary Construction Runoff Management measures (berms, silt fences, etc.)
9. At this point, construction of actual buildings starts.

MorganCo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda, Ford
My initial reaction to the plan is: wow, there are homes in the rural area that in 2 years will have a 75' wall in their backyard. I of course have no idea what that region is like, but talk about throwing shade on someone!
It’s farmland… people’s homes.

Sponsored

MorganCo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda, Ford
Is the plant planning on creating a large night light source? Does your town have ordinances to limit lights at night?

What makes you think that the plant will make it unsafe for kids?

They'll have to meet your State and local environmental requirements still. And there's little reason to believe that the manufacturing plant is going to damage the water table.
There is a observatory in Hard Labor Creek State Park. Just read that it may shut down bc of the lights from this monstrosity.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
There is a observatory in Hard Labor Creek State Park. Just read that it may shut down bc of the lights from this monstrosity.
Source?

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
As much as I admire the irony of fighting a project that seeks to catalyze the protection of the planet were destroying, so that we can use a telescope to stare at other planets from afar, this is not a productive or constructive venue for you to air your frustrations.

If you have concerns I suggest you try working in good faith with Rivian and your local governments.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
It’s farmland… people’s homes.
I might have missed it. I read the map and proposal online. I saw 75’ buildings not fencing. Anyone have a source on a 75’ fence?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As much as I admire the irony of fighting a project that seeks to catalyze the protection of the planet were destroying, so that we can use a telescope to stare at other planets from afar, this is not a productive or constructive venue for you to air your frustrations.

If you have concerns I suggest you try working in good faith with Rivian and your local governments.
I assume our new...uh....friends....are a result of your newfound celebrity. Perhaps you can use this nascent status to influence RJ into relocating his massive influx of revenue and jobs to another state that actually wants them there.
Sponsored