Sponsored

So No Deliveries in 2020?

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
I regularly make trips that are over 1000 miles on my Tesla. SC really helps to minimize my down time. SC rocks!!
Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
As Rivian has taken this same approach but without gimmicks like making the vehicles out of plastic found on the beach or looking like a WWII Jeep, I have more confidence in them than the others in the field.
This quote made my day. That’s all. Carry on with the cool conversation. You folks are a great end to my day everyday. So thank you!

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I preordered the R1T specifically for road trips/camping. I can live with a little extra down time on long trips in a truck with an interior that I think ranks in my top 3 for places I wouldn't mind dying as much in.

I'm actually hopeful that they'll be a little bit ahead of schedule. In Jan 2019 they were planning on needing to spend 200 mill on the factory. 2-3ish billion in investments later they just dropped 750 mill on the factory and they've been able to drop their prices by 10k.

I don't think they expected this positive of a response from investors. If they might start crash-testing in Q2, I assume that means they might have their first complete production line up and running by Q2. I assume most would prefer to crash test with an actual factory produced car. They've had a full year to test their prototypes ahead of that. I'm playing along that it's December but it's hard not to check the forums every couple of hours or so.

The only date that's been sliding has been the one for the configurator. As a web developer I'm not at all surprised by that. Who in a company full of engineers working on a product this exciting wants to take on the website problem? I mean, I totally would, and also their next gen of easy-to-iterate-on infotainment UI using web technology, but they didn't ask. So typical.

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T pre-order, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
You might be right about 2021, so close to my Cybertruck delivery date and that's too bad. I'm seriously considering cancel my order and just buy a Model Y this year and then take delivery of my Cybertruck in 2021...
That's exactly what I did. The Cybertruck fits my needs better and there is no beating the Tesla Supercharger network. I have had my MY for 2 months now and love it! Home run for Tesla on that model.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
.... there is no beating the Tesla Supercharger network...
Yes, that's probably still true but the gap has closed considerably in just the last year. In recent experiments with ABRP I have found that my seasonal N/S migration can be done faster in a Rivian R1T than in my Raven Model X. At the time I joined this forum I was really concerned that charging was going to be a problem and feared that the non Tesla network would not build out fast enough to the point that I would wind up cancelling the Rivian order for that reason. My recent examination of the situation has convinced me that I need no longer worry about this.

It was indeed a valid concern at one time. Now it would be a pity if someone cancelled his reservation because of road trip charging (which is about 15% of charging) concerns.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
If your expecting Tesla to deliver a Cybertruck in 2021, you are very likely to be disappointed. They haven't even started to build the factory where they will build it. It is a completely brand new design and they have a history of optimistic estimates. They have to build a number of prototypes, test them, build a factory, increase their battery cell production considerably before they can start to produce the Cybertruck.

Rockstar2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T pre-order, Ford Expedition, Dodge Hellcat
If your expecting Tesla to deliver a Cybertruck in 2021, you are very likely to be disappointed. They haven't even started to build the factory where they will build it. It is a completely brand new design and they have a history of optimistic estimates. They have to build a number of prototypes, test them, build a factory, increase their battery cell production considerably before they can start to produce the Cybertruck.
I think your right. It will probably be 2023. In the meantime my Tesla model Y is amazing!

UP Finn

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1992 HMMWV, 2018 4Runner ORP, 2020 Model Y Perf
I'm kicking around selling my Trackhawk and buying a Model Y now. Then wait until 2023 when that ugly Cybertruck is ready. Tesla's worked out a lot of the kinks that Rivian is going to be learning on the fly. And there's no comparison to their charging network. I'm not totally convinced that Rivian will last. I could be wrong.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'm kicking around selling my Trackhawk and buying a Model Y now. Then wait until 2023 when that ugly Cybertruck is ready. Tesla's worked out a lot of the kinks that Rivian is going to be learning on the fly. And there's no comparison to their charging network. I'm not totally convinced that Rivian will last. I could be wrong.
By 2023, I think the CCS charging network will be more widely available than Tesla superchargers.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
I'm hoping that Rivian avoids many of the kinks that Tesla suffered through, and to some extent is still suffering through (initial build quality). Don't forget that R.J. studied manufacturing practices around the world, so there is at least some chance that Rivian manufacturing will go more smoothly.

Sponsored

jacobh

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.besustainable.com
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Model X
Occupation
Web Design + Development
While the delivery dates are a bit disappointing its understandable given the circumstances.
I would rather them take longer to manufacture/delivery the vehicles than to do it faster and find out there's problems with the vehicles.
The wait will be worth it.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
By 2023, I think the CCS charging network will be more widely available than Tesla superchargers.
Elelctrify America has the largest USA CCS fast charging network designed for "road trips". Today (July 7th) EA has 443 sites with 112 future sites under planning and/or construction. That is 1513 fast (150-350kW) CCS chargers with 442 CHAdeMO chargers and 100 level 2 chargers. At the end of 2021:
EA - 800 total charging station sites with about 3,500 chargers by December 2021 .
For comparison: Tesla had 373 supercharger sites with 2736 charger handles in 2017 when the Model 3 first arrived.
Rivian R1T R1S So No Deliveries in 2020? EA usa map good june 2020

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Elelctrify America has the largest USA CCS fast charging network designed for "road trips". Today (July 7th) EA has 443 sites with 112 future sites under planning and/or construction. That is 1513 fast (150-350kW) CCS chargers with 442 CHAdeMO chargers and 100 level 2 chargers. At the end of 2021:
EA - 800 total charging station sites with about 3,500 chargers by December 2021 .
For comparison: Tesla had 373 supercharger sites with 2736 charger handles in 2017 when the Model 3 first arrived.
It's great to see the increase in CCS FC stations across the US. But don't get too mesmerized by these numbers as there are still plenty of challenges that are being dealt with. There are pain points that exist today that were, and to a degree still, not being addressed. E.g. number of reliable charging ports per station. If EV sales/ownership were to skyrocket it could easily create more problems than solve at least with regards to charging.

This recently posted Autoweek article gets into some of these issues along with an update the EV charging infrastructure. It's an interesting read -
"These Are the Obstacles Still Facing EV Charging"

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Great article. That major survey a while back indicated 75% of EV owners have never charged away from home. The article points out this requires you own a home to charge at. It further illustrates the engineering and economic challenges for charging and just electricity systems ahead as the EV market really begins to balloon in the next five years.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
It's great to see the increase in CCS FC stations across the US. But don't get too mesmerized by these numbers as there are still plenty of challenges that are being dealt with. There are pain points that exist today that were, and to a degree still, not being addressed. E.g. number of reliable charging ports per station. If EV sales/ownership were to skyrocket it could easily create more problems than solve at least with regards to charging.

This recently posted Autoweek article gets into some of these issues along with an update the EV charging infrastructure. It's an interesting read -
"These Are the Obstacles Still Facing EV Charging"
I have charged my Bolt on many CCS chargers, in fact I did a Phoenix to LA trip prior to Electrify America having any chargers on that route. EVGO and ChargePoint have very reliable DC Fast Chargers, but the downside is these are mostly just 50KW and they typically just have one available at any site. Electrify America has a minimum of 4 chargers at each site, two 150KW and two 350KW, but their downside has been reliability. It typically takes 2-3 tries to get a charge going, sometimes needing to call them and have them reboot a charger. Reliability has improved lately, and hopefully by next year when Rivian deliveries start, things will be much better. ChargePoint has started to install more stations along freeways at truck stops, but I have not seen any new EVGO stations in Arizona for at least 3 years. We need more competition in the charging networks and many more stations capable of the very high charging rates.
Sponsored