Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Here in CA construction of homes are still an essential business. However some categories of construction are not essential (pool builders etc...)It will be interesting to se how businesses will evolve. Will people be housed at the Rivian plant after testing negative to the virus and live there to work...just an idea.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I don't think the biggest automotive manufacturing nerd that ever lived would relish the idea of living on site at an automotive plant.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Aren't the Pantagraph photos of the new 400,000 square foot addition to the existing 2.6 million square foot, former Mitsubishi plant? I think so.

It's not surprising Rivian isn't further along. Indeed, without actually knowing anything about how Rivian plans on laying out assembly activities in a former Mitsubishi, brownfield site, it's fascinating that Rivian's adding a brand new 400,000 square foot facility for batteries. Instead of working around what's already there, Rivian and its battery partner, most likely LG Chem or Samsung SDI, get to design, develop and activate a new battery-specific facility that will dovetail with vehicle assembly operations. Pretty cool.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I think I need to look into a bridge vehicle. Meaning a temporary EV before the Rivian. Any thoughts? Used Bolt, Tesla, ... something with decent range....

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Aren't the Pantagraph photos of the new 400,000 square foot addition to the existing 2.6 million square foot, former Mitsubishi plant? I think so.

Yes.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I think I need to look into a bridge vehicle. Meaning a temporary EV before the Rivian. Any thoughts? Used Bolt, Tesla, ... something with decent range....
"Decent Range" varies wildly depending on who you are talking to.

200+ miles in the used market pretty much limits you to Tesla and the Chevy Bolt, As your definition of decent range drops, more options become available. It is possible to find the occasional >2 year old used EV, but often they are priced higher than new if you factor in available incentives.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
"Decent Range" varies wildly depending on who you are talking to.

200+ miles in the used market pretty much limits you to Tesla and the Chevy Bolt, As your definition of decent range drops, more options become available. It is possible to find the occasional >2 year old used EV, but often they are priced higher than new if you factor in available incentives.
Thanks!

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
At least Rivian is putting out some information about how the coronavirus is affecting their operations. While I'm keeping my R1S reservation for now, I had recently decided I would instead go through with my reservation for a Lucid Air (placed in September 2018). However, crickets are chirping at Lucid when it comes to communications about how the virus might affect their timeline to production. In fact, their website still says they are doing the public reveal of the production car at the New York Auto Show, which was cancelled two weeks ago. Google searches aren't yielding any news, either.

I have found Lucid's marketing department to be very willing to handle all sorts of questions about the car, but I am hesitating to call them right now as they may be swamped with bigger issues than my impatience to know what's going on. I assume they, like Rivian, will probably see some delays in bringing their vehicles to market.

I'm just hoping that these delays, coupled with a collapse of oil prices, don't ultimately impede the initial market acceptance of two very interesting new entrants to the EV arena.

Sponsored

RockDaphne98296

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E FE,
Occupation
Commercial Aerospace Interiors
My brother is an automotive writer, he has said that the Bolt is a great vehicle, he suggested I might want to try one if I had the chance, like rental or something, I talked to an Lyft driver about hers and she loved it - said it had the range they promised and she drives nearly every day for Lyft and has had zero problems. I also talked to a guy at the local Wal-Mart charger - he loved his too - he paid $40k - but I have seen some going for as low $29k - it was the electric yellow one though :-DDD

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Speak of the devil . . . an hour after I wrote the above post Lucid finally sent out an email to reservation holders. Their people are working from home, but there were hints of delays in vehicle introduction along the lines of Rivian. No word was given on the state of factory construction in Arizona where the work is being done by contractors at this point.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I received a similar email from Lucid Motors too. I am not a reservation holder there but I am on their mailing list.

regarding the Bolt, there are used ones under $20K. Hmmmmm

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Used Model 3 if people are actually selling them yet. Car and Driver certainly seems to like the Bolt.

If lower-range isn't completely off the table, Dough Demuro makes a good case for trying to find a used BMW i3. They are sold used at a fraction of what they cost new and they're pretty neat for a commuter/shopper car.

I think there's a reasonable chance that the first Rivian will roll off the assembly line before 2020 is over though.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S