First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
I have a 'hobby' iPhone app called My Rivian (yeah, I gave that one a lot of thought) that I can use a couple of new testers. Have an iPhone running iOS 17? Have a Rivian? Then you potentially can join the testing pool. So how does this work?

What is My Rivian?
Just an app that logs your trips and charges so you can geek out on your Rivian data and not be doomscrolling on CyberTruck posts. Here is a screenshot of the Trips view along with the drill down into a trip:

Rivian R1T R1S Looking for a few new My Rivian app testers 1702576625416

Wow, lots to geek out here and there is a lot more if you scroll down the detailed tri[p screen. Want to learn even more, then check out the GitHub Discussions for My Rivian.

Can I record charges?
Yes but for now charges are best recorded in the foreground (trust me, Apple doesn't want anyone to drain your phone battery). Here is a peek at the Charge summary:

Rivian R1T R1S Looking for a few new My Rivian app testers 1702578667585

What does this cost?
Nothing, it is free. Plans are to open source the code on GitHub once it is stable and make sure all my personally identifiable information is gone from the cpde.

How do I get my copy?
Distribution is handled by the Apple TestFlight app, you will get a notification when a new build is available for testing and you can share screenshots and crash reports from the TestFlight app.

Where does the data come from?
My Rivian uses a separate Rivian account you create and collects data just as the Rivian app does. Easy-peezy, here is how to create your account for use with My Rivian.

What about phantom drain?
The Rivian API is only used when you initiate the recording of a trip or charge and it stops when the trip or charge is completed. No endless polling of your Rivian keeping it up all night, besides Apple would not tolerate that on your phone. So this building the muscle memory to remember to start the trip is something you need to learn but once I figure out iOS AppIntents to My Rivian you will be able ask Siri to start a trip from your Apple Watch.

What about my data?
First the only personal data collected is your location and an ID that is unique to your Rivian. Not much but the bare minimum to display a trip on your phone. Then there are two options for where your data is stored, you can host your own data on your own server and it is all yours but that might require a computer science degree and advanced server/networking skills. But hey if you live and breathe in AWS or Azure then go for it.

To open this up to non-technical, but technically-savvy iPhone owners, there is a hosted data store you can use. It too will only display your data but lets say if there was someone sophisticated enough to decompile the app package and find the API endpoints and write database queries they could probably read your data and know where you have been.

My Rivian does have the ability to save your data to file and then move it to a host of your choice along with an option to delete all data tagged with your vehicle ID so you can be sure to leave no traces should you find it not for you.

If you still have any qualms left and wish for a web-based experience, then checkout ElectraFi for the Rivian. I was a customer back when I owned a Tesla and it inspired learning how to create My Rivian so I could geek out on my data and learn some new skills along the journey.

So how I apply?
If you are willing to use on a regular basis and provide feedback you maybe a good candidate. Send me a private message with your full name and email address along with a brief description on how this would change your life. I don't have a lot of bandwidth for support so I just need a handful of reliable users so if it works out it will be great for both of us.
Sponsored

ggood

First Name
glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Glac White
sounds interesting. assume it will have future adjustments and revisions per the provided feedback? ps next time can you have it zoom in and end at Doug's Fish Fry?