Not open for further replies.

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I really love the R1T but I can’t help think about all I’ve been taught about camping/nature. For example, where you sleep and where you eat/store food should not be in the same location.

And with some of the “showroom” locations, Brooklyn for example…it seems like this is going to be the truck marketed at the people who aren’t really adventurous but enjoy saying the went to the woods 1 or 2 weekends out of the year. I also get that vibe from the camp kitchen marketing photos.

We see pretty awesome footage of what this truck can do but I just keep getting the feeling that this is going to end up being the mall cruiser of adventure vehicles. And a lot of overlanders/campers that I know love their Tacos & Jeep’s and won’t switch to electric until you can carry something like a gas can and fill up quickly in remote locations. Also, pricing even though in the long run may be cheaper, remains a factor within this community I believe.

I’m torn between this vehicle and the new Bronco…I saw a Sasquatch model today and it’s one of those things that just makes you smile. I think maybe I just really need to see an R1T in person.

thoughts…
Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I really love the R1T but I can’t help think about all I’ve been taught about camping/nature. For example, where you sleep and where you eat/store food should not be in the same location.

And with some of the “showroom” locations, Brooklyn for example…it seems like this is going to be the truck marketed at the people who aren’t really adventurous but enjoy saying the went to the woods 1 or 2 weekends out of the year. I also get that vibe from the camp kitchen marketing photos.

We see pretty awesome footage of what this truck can do but I just keep getting the feeling that this is going to end up being the mall cruiser of adventure vehicles. And a lot of overlanders/campers that I know love their Tacos & Jeep’s and won’t switch to electric until you can carry something like a gas can and fill up quickly in remote locations. Also, pricing even though in the long run may be cheaper, remains a factor within this community I believe.

I’m torn between this vehicle and the new Bronco…I saw a Sasquatch model today and it’s one of those things that just makes you smile. I think maybe I just really need to see an R1T in person.

thoughts…
first of all, are you gatekeeping people who live in cities? Is there some point where you would qualify someone as adventurous and the validity of their adventures?

secondly, I guarantee you a lot of Rubicon’s and Sasquatch Broncos will be “mall cruisers.”

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
first of all, are you gatekeeping people who live in cities? Is there some point where you would qualify someone as adventurous?

secondly, I guarantee you a lot of Rubicon’s and Sasquatch Broncos will be mall cruisers.
no, I just spend a lot of time in that particular area…just doesn’t feel like the right location in my area to get me excited about my new car. The Seattle/Bellevue city location makes perfect sense. So it’s not a gatekeeping city thing at all at least in my mind.

I totally agree on your second point but there’s also way more of them…at least Jeep’s at this point on any weekend morning at a trailhead are probably the vehicle most prevalent. I hate jeep btw.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Range is always an issue with EVs. Eventually it will be solved. Range is an issue with petrol vehicles too though. How many jerrycans can you possibly cary, 2, 3 or 4? That’s at most 4 gallons. That does not provide a major comfort for those who actually travel to remote locations for really long distance. You still have to plan for refueling. The Bronco’s off-road range will be around 200-250 miles depending on terrain, not that much better than a Rivian (as we anticipate and with max pack). However, lack of charging stations currently still poses a greater limitation for EVs without a doubt. In two years time, I think the picture for charging stations will look very different.

Bronco is a wonderful new comer to the market, I hope it really does well. At the end I believe people will be converted to EVs, probably several years from today. The functionality of EVs will win them over. The Rivians are so much more functional and capable than Broncos, it is not even comparable technically.

At the same time, vehicle purchase is an emotional decision, not technical or logical. I know I will be happier with a Rivian, have less of a conflict in me taking a vehicle into the heart of nature, and still be able to go to the mall (proudly). I do so many other things with our vehicles other than go off to the trails, including shopping.

in short, I’d suggest you stick with Rivian. :p

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Range is always an issue with EVs. Eventually it will be solved. Range is an issue with petrol vehicles too though. How many jerrycans can you possibly cary, 2, 3 or 4? That’s at most 4 gallons. That does not provide a major comfort for those who actually travel to remote locations for really long distance. You still have to plan for refueling. The Bronco’s off-road range will be around 200-250 miles depending on terrain, not that much better than a Rivian (as we anticipate and with max pack). However, lack of charging stations currently still poses a greater limitation for EVs without a doubt. In two years time, I think the picture for charging stations will look very different.

Bronco is a wonderful new comer to the market, I hope it really does well. At the end I believe people will be converted to EVs, probably several years from today. The functionality of EVs will win them over. The Rivians are so much more functional and capable than Broncos, it is not even comparable technically.

At the same time, vehicle purchase is an emotional decision, not technical or logical. I know I will be happier with a Rivian, have less of a conflict in me taking a vehicle into the heart of nature, and still be able to go to the mall (proudly). I do so many other things with our vehicles other than go off to the trails, including shopping.

in short, I’d suggest you stick with Rivian. :p
I was hoping to have the concept art and the picture of the truck in my driveway framed together. I think maybe for me the long wait, not knowning the actual colors or how it feels, and the competition heating up is very distracting.

I agree completely on the infrastructure piece and I’m curious how new tech like solid slate batteries that charge in minutes as opposed to hours could impact the the value of this truck if they drop in a year or two. I almost like the approach Nio is taking with this with battery swap stations and should newer barriers become available they’ll be compatible.

And kinda off topic - I love the ideas but am not entirely convinced Lithium mining Is really that great based on some things I’ve read recently and many places are still using none environmentally friendly ways to produce electricity. I even saw of photo of EVs being charged with gas generators. We’ve even seen that in some Rivian stuff.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...And kinda off topic - I love the ideas but am not entirely convinced Lithium mining Is really that great based on some things I’ve read recently and many places are still using none environmentally friendly ways to produce electricity. I even saw of photo of EVs being charged with gas generators. We’ve even seen that in some Rivian stuff.
There's an engineer in Australia who's done some tests indicating that because EVs are so efficient you actually save energy by charging from a diesel generator vice driving a diesel or gasoline engine with that same petroleum based fuel. Regardless, EVs are highly efficient, and so the source of electricity becomes a factor that the discriminating driver can choose and influence with pressure on providers and ever flexible politicians. ICE vehicles are simply not going to get any better (look at how much cheating occurred to meet the already arbitrary, but far less than possible with electrical, pollution requirements), but there's plenty of opportunities to green up the EV infrastructure from soup to nuts. First you need to create demand for EVs though or it'll never happen.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

thoughts…
I guess my thought is that a vehicle is a tool and you can use its capabilities from 0-100%. We get to determine if our capable off-roader is a pristine mall crawler or pin-striped trail veteran. Whether a Bronco, Wrangler, Hummer, or Rivian, the vehicle has no free will to choose how it is used. That’s up to us, the owners and drivers.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Who cares what other people do with their vehicles, when it doesn’t affect other people?

85% of my use will be in a city doing everyday things.
the rest is unimproved roads and car camping.
I’m getting the kitchen, I’ll be keeping food in the frunk.
where I go camping there are black bears, grizzlies, foxes, squirrels, lynx, bobcats, cougars, raccoons, squirrels…..

Should I not be buying a rivian?

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
There's an engineer in Australia who's done some tests indicating that because EVs are so efficient you actually save energy by charging from a diesel generator vice driving a diesel or gasoline engine with that same petroleum based fuel. Regardless, EVs are highly efficient, and so the source of electricity becomes a factor that the discriminating driver can choose and influence with pressure on providers and ever flexible politicians. ICE vehicles are simply not going to get any better (look at how much cheating occurred to meet the already arbitrary, but far less than possible with electrical, pollution requirements), but there's plenty of opportunities to green up the EV infrastructure from soup to nuts. First you need to create demand for EVs though or it'll never happen.
interesting…do you have a link? That’s something that would be interesting to see the info on. Agreed on everything else you said.

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
interesting…do you have a link? That’s something that would be interesting to see the info on. Agreed on everything else you said.
There is a bunch out there laying out the case for EVs being cleaner than ICE. (I think that's what you were asking for links on?)

https://www.engadget.com/ev-cleaner-gas-cars-lifespan-study-095041081.html

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichm...-really-better-for-the-climate-yes-heres-why/
And the overtime analysis that the grid is cleaning up and EV emissions have gotten better due to that.
https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-data-show-electric-vehicles-continue-to-get-cleaner/

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I agree with you on the marketing. It’s similar to Range Rover - market a highly capable offroad vehicle to upper income buyers who want that image. Most Range Rover owners never take their rigs offroad.

That being said, you should just ignore the marketing and look at the specs, appearance and features and decide if it’s the right truck for you. Mine will replace a Tesla S and a 4Runner. Best of both worlds in one package and it will spend a lot of time offroad and hauling out my hunting successes. I don’t foresee Rivian ever releasing a photo with a dead animal in the back of the truck. But I’m OK with that. If they change their minds, I’d be happy to send them one.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
I don’t foresee Rivian ever releasing a photo with a dead animal in the back of the truck.
Showing the truck to my wife’s family of hunters and getting a lot of interest. Your animal in the truck photo would likely have company.

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I agree with you on the marketing. It’s similar to Range Rover - market a highly capable offroad vehicle to upper income buyers who want that image. Most Range Rover owners never take their rigs offroad.

That being said, you should just ignore the marketing and look at the specs, appearance and features and decide if it’s the right truck for you. Mine will replace a Tesla S and a 4Runner. Best of both worlds in one package and it will spend a lot of time offroad and hauling out my hunting successes. I don’t foresee Rivian ever releasing a photo with a dead animal in the back of the truck. But I’m OK with that. If they change their minds, I’d be happy to send them one.
You put it in a much better way than I did. And although I love the idea of the kitchen and I “want” it because it’s cool anybody who’s ever been camping knows it’s not a good idea to cook and store food right next to where you sleep. Unless you plan to sleep with one eye open and shotgun.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You put it in a much better way than I did. And although I love the idea of the kitchen and I “want” it because it’s cool anybody who’s ever been camping knows it’s not a good idea to cook and store food right next to where you sleep. Unless you plan to sleep with one eye open and shotgun.
You’re really overthinking this. Every single RV, camper, and “overlanding” setup violates your rule.

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner

I enjoy backpacking in Montana which is bear country. I think some of the same principles could be applied to camping with the Rivian. The camp kitchen is not designed to store food but to cook. So just like backpacking clean it good and wash all surfaces. Then if it is bear country hang your food a distance from your tent. I do not sleep with one eye open or carry a shotgun. But my snoring might be just as effective. :D
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.