kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

BTW Here are some High Res Versions as well as Videos from the page.

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(1)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(2)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(3)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(4)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(5)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(6)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(7)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(8)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)(9)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com original.jpg;resize(1600,_)

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com cover-1623723673.jpg;resize(2000,_,crop)
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Only thing I'm kind of indifferent to is the open center console area in the front. I'm a neat freak in my car and try to avoid clutter and things being left out. When I ordered my Model S back in 2014 I had them install the, at the time brand new center console add on for my Model S. Even the Tesla employees where like "that console is so much nicer then the open space". Now fast forward and every Tesla vehicle has it.

I would prefer a center console that extends through the front between the driver and passenger.
I'm generally with you, but I do like that it gives me a good place (in theory) to store my backpack for my commute without sticking it on the passenger seat and having the stupid seat belt warning go off.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That was a pre-pre-production model that Rivian paid another company to make for them. The hinges were custom built and I wouldn’t take any of it as fact for how the production unit will be.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
"Alexa, set the passenger climate to 60% feet, 20% left, 69 degrees."

We just need to define the vocabulary required to make this voice controlled. It may not be there day 1, but since it is all electronically controlled there is nothing other than a common language to make this voice controlled.
Could play a Marco-Polo game with the vents via voice control. Vents adjust randomly while you shout “Marco” until it happens to aim where you want.

But what if they’re blind AND deaf/mute? Crap. Back to the drawing board!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You must lean your seat back like a cholo. I love the 4Runner but could never buy one because even at only 6'1" my head touches the roof so severely that I have to crank my neck and drive with my cheek touching my shoulder.

Same problem with the Tacoma if you get a moonroof.

Toyota has the absolute worst seats and seating position.
Glad it's not just me. Rented a 4 runner this weekend and found the lack of head room rather odd.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Doesn’t mean you can make phone calls when hotspot is in use.

ugh, why do people get so laser focused on making a point? they lose focus on the bigger picture and actual issue.
I guess I'm not sure what the "bigger picture" is that you were trying to make.

Verizon does support simultaneous calls and hotspot use through the same phone. So does AT&T. So does T-Mobile. I've used the feature on AT&T when I was with them until Dec. 2018 and have used it since I switched to Verizon, including right now as a test just to be sure I wasn't imagining things.

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
I am an early December 2018 R1T reservation holder and currently have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline (166K) and 2017 Dodge Durango R/T (55k). I love my Ridgeline, and see so many similarities in the R1T that I like as well. I have three kids (15, 13, 10) and an 80-pound labrador. The Ridgeline was our family vehicle when we had three kids in car seats or boosters, it has been my commuter vehicle, and has been my river rafting / shenanigans vehicle.

As a family, we travel great in the Durango (as well as we can with 2 teens), and less well in the Ridgeline (but we can make it work). The R1T was supposed to replace the Hemi-pig (Durango) -- I was *really* hoping that the 10 extra inches of exterior length in the Rivian R1T over my Ridgeline would translate into more interior space for family road trips - at least, an increase over the Ridgeline so I could get rid of the 3-row Durango. Alas, it does not appear to be the case given the specs released today. Still trying to figure out what to do, still committed to an electric truck, and still want the R1T, but feel like I need to keep the Hemi-pig and get rid of my beloved Ridgeline when the time comes. : ( Also, still trying to figure out how my 2006 Ridgeline is so similar on the inside compared to the R1T, yet the exterior dimensions are bigger. Is the extra length all due to the gear tunnel?

Last edited:

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
It's a 2 1/2 ton motorized vehicle that will only come with Level 2 driver assistance features.

If they advertised level 4 or 5, there would be a valid point here. Until then ..... There's not. The UI is centered around the driver, who, fairly or unfairly at this point, should still not be visually impaired.

Put a pin in this one and complain when the actual driving of the vehicle is designed to be done by the differently abled.
Read my post again and point me to the complaint. And get to know some disabled folks.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
So I have this “friend” and he wonders if he could store a brand new set of TPX irons in this space where his wife wouldn’t “disturb” them or even see them so as not to jinx them?

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com 490703D9-9985-4D62-B50F-4376330828E6

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Sorry, but the tone I read your post in was very "how dare Rivian..." I just think the "let's sue them" mentality is too prevalent in our society.
I literally wrote: “It's hard to say whether Rivian has an issue here - we don't know how much of the UI is reconfigurable or redundant with physical controls (such as the wheel buttons), or how effective Alexa will be as a backup for some of the on-screen controls. I'm optimistic that they'll have thought this through.”

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Like a lot of people, by the numbers the legroom seems a bit less than I was hoping for. So I decided to do a little comparison to my two cars that are functionally significantly different than each other.
ID.4: front/rear/combined: 41.1/37.6/ 78.7
'18 XC60: front/rear/combined: 41.5/38/79.5

R1T: 41.4/36.6/78. Not great Bob.

For fun here are the numbers for a 4Runner btw: 41.7/32.9 (yikes).

However, my ID.4 has caused me to throw those numbers out and rely more on seeing humans in the actual cars. When sitting behind my driving position in my XC60, my knees are within an inch of the back of the front seat. with the ID.4, I have significantly more room. Same for the passenger seats. Attached are two photos showing front/rear legroom in the ID.4 behind the passenger seat today, which is currently leaning back *much* further than I have my drivers seat (which you can see if you look closely). There is functionally several inches more space in the ID.4 than I get in my XC60. It's super weird.

All of this is to say, I'm just going to wait and see what it feels like during the test drive circuits, because I'm not sure how much I can trust the numbers, and a lot of it really seems to be tied to the geometry of the dash relative to the front foot well.
Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com 1623985093819

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com 1623985151511

I am a little curious if this is where the guides could come in handy. Think they would hop in an R1T and take a photo with their leg room for a given seating position similar to what people do when reviewing legroom on videos (and I did above)? It's not secret anymore, so I'm not sure why that wouldn't be allowed.

The numbers that really have me confused is how there's 3+ inches more second row shoulder room in the R1T than my XC60, but 1.2 inches less hip room in the rear. This just makes me super curious what the standard is for calculating each of these.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Where to start?

1. You have not incurred any injury yet.
2. You're aware of a "potential" issue before you've made any purchase. Would make it hard to argue that you were somehow cheated should you now - with that knowledge - decide to purchase the vehicle.
3. I have owned and/or driven a number of vehicles with joystick/single control wheel controls of nearly all interior functions. Where has your outrage been over those?
4. These suits are not resolved in secrecy. Once you invoke the rights of a class of individuals you need buy-in from those persons. At a minimum they will be notified of the proposed resolution and given an opportunity to provide their feedback. Not as easy as you seem to think it is.
I never told anyone they have standing to sue Rivian or suggested there’s a class action settlement here. I also never expressed outrage at any specific interface. What I said is there’s tons of precedent for accessible touch interfaces and for settlements (or legislation) requiring certain minimum accessibility provisions, and inclusive design is good for everyone and I hope Rivian has taken it into account. Settle down.
Sponsored