M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Kia Niro EV
Occupation
Software
1623944538814.png

Is it unusual that the headroom and legroom are exactly the same?
Chatted with CS. The headroom is correct. The legroom is not. The front legroom should be 41.4 inches (1052mm). The rear legroom should be 36.7 inches.
Sponsored

myles

First Name
Myles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger
Occupation
iOS Developer
Was hoping they’d at least tease their removable top. Letting the outside in ya know :/

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I don't understand why anyone likes these USB-C ports. As I understand it, they have very limited output... about 15 watts. My phone's charger is 45 watts so plugging my phone into the USB-C charger would take 3X longer. I would literally never use them. And future phones/tablets will require more and more output will you're stuck at whatever you got in 2021. At least with the "old times" cigarette lighter adapter I can plug a tiny inverter in and get up to 100 watts of power. Enough to keep small electronics charged at the highest rate at least for a few more years. The USB-C chargers are already obsolete. Hopefully I'm wrong and they are much higher output than 15 watts.
There's no technological limitation on output wattage. It depends on how they implement it.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I have asked CS recently and in past months about the possibility of having the rear view "mirror" work as a camera system, or as a regular mirror...like in my BoltEV. If there is cargo/passengers/or stuff in the bed that is obstructing your rear view, the camera system fixes this problem, and gives a wider view than a conventional rear view mirror. It works great for day driving, but not real great at night or in rain. If you don't like the view, simply flip a switch on the mirror, and you are back to regular mirror system. It really works great, improves safety in my opinion, and was hoping Rivian would do it. Not covered in this update, and CS didn't know as of couple of days ago if anything like this has been considered.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I have asked CS recently and in past months about the possibility of having the rear view "mirror" work as a camera system, or as a regular mirror...like in my BoltEV. If there is cargo/passengers/or stuff in the bed that is obstructing your rear view, the camera system fixes this problem, and gives a wider view than a conventional rear view mirror. It works great for day driving, but not real great at night or in rain. If you don't like the view, simply flip a switch on the mirror, and you are back to regular mirror system. It really works great, improves safety in my opinion, and was hoping Rivian would do it. Not covered in this update, and CS didn't know as of couple of days ago if anything like this has been considered.
My '21 Toy RAV4-Prime has this feature and its a hoot! Would absolutely love to see it on the R1's

Takes a bit of time to get used to the vivid and expanded width rearview in camera-mode. Also you learn to stop caring about how DAMN CLOSE cars rolling up behind you appear to be. I swear for several times at first my butt puckered for impending impact because that's what it looks like. o_O

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Can you point me at a similar lawsuit I can use as reference to understand why this is an issue that merits litigation? What's different about this touchscreen that you've identified from a few photos as compared to the iPhone touchscreen?
Sounds like you can buy a R1 and sue Rivian and make some quick cash?

Let us know how that works out for ya.
It's not about quick cash, it's about accessibility and clarification/extension of the applicability of ADA. Look at platforms such as Netflix and Hulu which were sued under ADA and have now modified their platforms to make them accessible. There are currently ADA requirements around transportation but guidance/interpretation in the personal vehicle space is lacking as the issues are relatively new starting with the recent trend of moving away from dedicated physical controls. Unfortunately it will take lawsuits to force this guidance. And this guidance will absolutely get sorted by the time true self-driving cars become a reality and the excuse of "blind people can't drive so cars don't really need to be accessible" will no longer exist.

@Inkedsphynx search "Apple VoiceOver" and screen reader technology in general.

These accessibility concerns are something my wife and I spoke face-to-face with RJ about at the Mill Valley event. At the time, screen reader technology was not in the works (and likely still isn't). He mentioned they were looking into haptic feedback systems for the future and asked if that might help but those don't generally improve the situation when not designed with accessibility in mind (ie, how many button will you accidentally press while trying to find the one you want). We'll see what Rivian delivers and go from there. If we can't live with it, we'll sell the R1S. Can't wait for test drives and delivery to see how Rivian staff explain to my wife how to use the controls. Should be entertaining. ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Kinda strayed off topic there but, Rivian, while not necessarily having physical controls for things like a traditional vehicle, does have Alexa voice integration "Alexa do my bidding" "ok" so that physical, or touchscreen controls become less necessary while driving.
Alexa makes physical controls less necessary but doesn't eliminate the need for any. Good luck trying to aim the Rivian's air vents with Alexa commands (which was my original point in this thread, I've discussed the touchscreen stuff in other past threads). Just because Alexa can do certain things, doesn't mean it's optimal - regardless of whether you're sighted or not.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If that's accurate, I'll probably have to take this vehicle off my list of options. That's less than any other vehicle I've owned, and is literally tiny. Less than my XC60, which is already a tight squeeze for 4 adults.

Less than a CX5. Same size as a Q3, which is essentially a small hatchback. Not acceptable for a mid-size truck.
Having seen it in person, rear seat leg room looked far better than my XC60. Those measurements can be deceptive and, frankly, I don't think we have confidence as to what the actual measurement really is.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

You probably could get a wifi extender for the camper.
No need to even use the WiFi "hot spot" or extender when you can simply tether whatever wifi connected device you like to. the phone you already pay for. Cars generally don't have a great wireless implementation as far as speed goes either.

It's more of a convenience. It's like drinking the little over price bottle of Whiskey out of the mini-bar when you have a big bottle from the store sitting on the desk.

• Haha
Reactions: Jay

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It's not about quick cash, it's about accessibility and clarification/extension of the applicability of ADA. Look at platforms such as Netflix and Hulu which were sued under ADA and have now modified their platforms to make them accessible. There are currently ADA requirements around transportation but guidance/interpretation in the personal vehicle space is lacking as the issues are relatively new starting with the recent trend of moving away from dedicated physical controls. Unfortunately it will take lawsuits to force this guidance. And this guidance will absolutely get sorted by the time true self-driving cars become a reality and the excuse of "blind people can't drive so cars don't really need to be accessible" will no longer exist.

@Inkedsphynx search "Apple VoiceOver" and screen reader technology in general.

These accessibility concerns are something my wife and I spoke face-to-face with RJ about at the Mill Valley event. At the time, screen reader technology was not in the works (and likely still isn't). He mentioned they were looking into haptic feedback systems for the future and asked if that might help but those don't generally improve the situation when not designed with accessibility in mind (ie, how many button will you accidentally press while trying to find the one you want). We'll see what Rivian delivers and go from there. If we can't live with it, we'll sell the R1S. Can't wait for test drives and delivery to see how Rivian staff explain to my wife how to use the controls. Should be entertaining. ?
Seems this thread has digressed a bit around this topic, apologies to you for that, we should be able to do better.

I think you should be fine if you are good with voice commands.

Rivian initially indicated that Alexa was going to be available to perform any activity you can do from the touch screen. Here is an article describing what they have planned.

Amazon Alexa will ride with Rivian's electric pickup and SUV - Roadshow (cnet.com)

Sponsored

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
If that's accurate, I'll probably have to take this vehicle off my list of options. That's less than any other vehicle I've owned, and is literally tiny. Less than my XC60, which is already a tight squeeze for 4 adults.

Less than a CX5. Same size as a Q3, which is essentially a small hatchback. Not acceptable for a mid-size truck.
Really!? I have a 2016 4Runner which has rear legroom of 32.9" and front legroom of 41.7" - both of which are smaller than the R1T (same goes for headroom) and it is not a small car!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
While I understand the need for accessible controls and features, not too many blind people are going to be driving a Rivian.
It's not all about the driver. Even Rivian felt it was worth the effort to give sighted rear seat occupants their own climate and seat heater controls, why should a visually impaired passenger front or rear have any less access to the features of the vehicle?

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

It's not all about the driver. Even Rivian felt it was worth the effort to give sighted rear seat occupants their own climate and seat heater controls, why should a visually impaired passenger front or rear have any less access to the features of the vehicle?
Can we please move this conversation to its own thread?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Seems this thread has digressed a bit around this topic, apologies to you for that, we should be able to do better.

I think you should be fine if you are good with voice commands.

Rivian initially indicated that Alexa was going to be available to perform any activity you can do from the touch screen. Here is an article describing what they have planned.

Amazon Alexa will ride with Rivian's electric pickup and SUV - Roadshow (cnet.com)
No apologies needed. It is very fortunate that most people are clueless (due to lack of experience) about the considerations of life with a disability. Unfortunately it also means they are clueless on the subject.

We think we can make it work as well, otherwise we never would have pre-ordered. That doesn't mean there won't be some frustration or that Rivian, and the automotive industry in general, can't do better.
Sponsored