Sponsored

PSA - DO NOT USE LECTRON ADAPTOR w/ Tesla Wall Charger on Rivian

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model YP, Rivian R1T (Limestone, 20" AT)
I have had my R1T for almost six months and have been charging it using my Tesla Wall Charger with a Lectron Adapter. Life has been great until a few weeks ago when I started to get charging errors and the truck wouldn't charge. My Rivian Service Center (Kansas City) have been working on my truck and even sent a technician to my house (45 minutes away) to inspect my charging set-up. Turns out the friction caused by the Lectron adaptor causes too much heat build up and fried my R1T charging port and cable assembly on my R1T! When they plugged in my truck at the SC, it fried their charging cable as a result of the bad port. Rivian is fixing the truck under warranty, but will not fix it again if I continue to use this adaptor. The Service Team has been FANTASTIC and we have been working together to figure this out, they are easily the best service I have had out of any cars I have ever owned.

Now the dilemma - buy a Rivian wall charger (might be quickest option) or sell the R1T and get another Tesla? I also have a Tesla Model Y, so if anyone has a Rivian charger with adapter charging a Tesla, I'd like to know if that works and what kind of charging speeds you get? Making the switch of chargers might work if I can get the Tesla charged effectively, but getting an electrician seems to be the short pole in the tent and there are some issues with wiring two chargers in my house that could make this venture pretty pricey, but not being able to get an electrician is the real issue at this time.

I love my R1T and the SC is awesome here in KC, but my wife and I both drive about 90 miles a day each, so charging is a must to make the EVs usable. I would appreciate anyones experience with using a Rivian wall charger on their Tesla, so we can figure out how to move forward.
Sponsored

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This makes me glad I didn’t order the lectron adapter!
My Rivian wall charger is great. But I got it for the original price of $500. It’s $800 now. But if you want to stay OEM it’s the only way to go till they release their two way V2H charger.
The Emporia smart charger is a good option at $399 and comes highly recommended. Your Tesla came with the adapter needed to use either the Rivian charger or the Emporia I believe so no third party adapters needed. Should be a simple swap which ever way you go.

OP
OP

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Tesla does have an adapter and this is would probably be the easiest, but not sure what the charging speeds would be. The Tesla WC will do 44 mph on the Model Y and with two EVs, we definitely need the best charging we can get. I'll definitely look into the Emporia. Thanks!

This makes me glad I didn’t order the lectron adapter!
The Emporia smart charger is a good option at $399. Your Tesla came with the adapter needed to use it with it I believe so no third party adapters needed. Should be a simple swap.

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The Tesla adapter is good to 19.2kw. Both the Rivian and Emporia are only 11.7 kw so you will get full speed with it

Sponsored

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
I have the 48amp Lectron adapter from Tesla to J1772

Been using since December and no issues. I separate the adapter from the Tesla connector occasionally and no over heating of the connections visually noted

I note when charging for 5 hours or more the connector where it attached to Tesla charge cable handle gets to 100F. (Via optical thermometer) Thats when it is 80+ degrees in the garage.

Working OK for me but I am considering installing a Tesla wall connector Gen 3 with the J1772 connector built onto the cable and not using an adapter

OP
OP

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Teslatap mini for the win! They are expensive, but quality products. Use it all the time charging my folks IX, no issues.
Does it have any kind of heat build up when charging your Rivian? The Lectron adapter gets to about 148 degrees, which is the issue.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Turns out the friction caused by the Lectron adaptor causes too much heat build up and fried my R1T charging port and cable assembly on my R1T!
The friction? Like it's physically hard to push into the truck? Or are you thinking the electrical resistance?

OP
OP

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the 48amp Lectron adapter from Tesla to J1772

Been using since December and no issues. I separate the adapter from the Tesla connector occasionally and no over heating of the connections visually noted

I note when charging for 5 hours or more the connector where it attached to Tesla charge cable handle gets to 100F. (Via optical thermometer) Thats when it is 80+ degrees in the garage.

Working OK for me but I am considering installing a Tesla wall connector Gen 3 with the J1772 connector built onto the cable and not using an adapter
That is the same setup I'm using, so caution on it. My Tesla cable is never really warm, but the adaptor gets to around 148 degrees. Tesla Gen 3 wall chargers have a J1772 connector? Wasn't tracking that, but would be great if true!

Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I have had my R1T for almost six months and have been charging it using my Tesla Wall Charger with a Lectron Adapter. Life has been great until a few weeks ago when I started to get charging errors and the truck wouldn't charge. My Rivian Service Center (Kansas City) have been working on my truck and even sent a technician to my house (45 minutes away) to inspect my charging set-up. Turns out the friction caused by the Lectron adaptor causes too much heat build up and fried my R1T charging port and cable assembly on my R1T! When they plugged in my truck at the SC, it fried their charging cable as a result of the bad port. Rivian is fixing the truck under warranty, but will not fix it again if I continue to use this adaptor. The Service Team has been FANTASTIC and we have been working together to figure this out, they are easily the best service I have had out of any cars I have ever owned.

Now the dilemma - buy a Rivian wall charger (might be quickest option) or sell the R1T and get another Tesla? I also have a Tesla Model Y, so if anyone has a Rivian charger with adapter charging a Tesla, I'd like to know if that works and what kind of charging speeds you get? Making the switch of chargers might work if I can get the Tesla charged effectively, but getting an electrician seems to be the short pole in the tent and there are some issues with wiring two chargers in my house that could make this venture pretty pricey, but not being able to get an electrician is the real issue at this time.

I love my R1T and the SC is awesome here in KC, but my wife and I both drive about 90 miles a day each, so charging is a must to make the EVs usable. I would appreciate anyones experience with using a Rivian wall charger on their Tesla, so we can figure out how to move forward.
I use an extension cable between my Lectron adapter and my R1S. This prevents any heat from reaching the Rivian and has worked perfectly.
Amazon.com: Inteset 12ft 40amp J1772 EV Extension Cord, Made in USA - for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, Carrying Bag, Ultra-Flex Cable, UL Listed Parts : Automotive

I use the 48 amp version.

OP
OP

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The friction? Like it's physically hard to push into the truck? Or are you thinking the electrical resistance?
I'm not an electrician, so you are likely correct, its electrical resistance, but the tech called it friction.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Does it have any kind of heat build up when charging your Rivian? The Lectron adapter gets to about 148 degrees, which is the issue.
Don't have a Rivian as of yet. Haven't noticed any issues or heat build-up, but haven't looked closely either.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Op what lectron adaptor are you using? The newer compact one rated for 48 amps or the larger older one rated for 40 amps? I've been using the compact 48 amp one with my tesla wall box for 8 months. The only issue I've ran into is when charging in the rain. I park outside and the lectron adaptor is not water proof.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
Turns out the friction caused by the Lectron adaptor causes too much heat build up and fried my R1T charging port and cable assembly on my R1T! When they plugged in my truck at the SC, it fried their charging cable as a result of the bad port. Rivian is fixing the truck under warranty, but will not fix it again if I continue to use this adaptor.

I understand how the R1T charging cable assembly could be damaged... but don't understand how this could then damage the Rivian Service Center's charging cable. Before we throw out all the Lectron adapters out there, I have to wonder if something else going on with this vehicle. Or was the fit between your charging cable and the connector not solid and caused a problem?

Sorry for your experience but glad to hear Rivian was responsive!
Sponsored