First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
This is a complete rationalization, and one that I've been using for years! ?

I don't know why, but this reminds me of a funny story from years ago, near the advent of the photo red light and radar cameras. A guy received a ticket in the mail with a picture of him at the wheel as he was going through a red light at speed. As a joke, he sent the court a picture of the cash representing his fine. The traffic court sent him a picture of a pair of handcuffs. He sent in the check the next day.
Here is a true story from Phoenix, several years ago. Today all of the photo radars have been removed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna32806142
Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Um, Duh? Not sure what point you’re trying to make, here?
The point is that this is anecdotal which doesn't hold over any large group and is often the basis of cognitive bias. Insurance companies use statistical evidence.

Except insurance companies charge more for people who drive faster.
That's not necessarily true. Most insurance companies charge higher rates for people who get moving violations, including speeding. The reason for this is that these drivers, statistically, are more expensive to insure.

CAN and WILL are not the same. Insurance companies are looking for data to make them more money. Period.
Yes they are in the business of making money. However, insurance is an extremely competitive industry. If they have data that a driver consistently 10mph above the limit on highways is as safe or safer than a driver who stays at the limit, then they would not raise rates - and may, in fact, lower them. More data should enable them to give you a more accurate price for your style of driving, based on statistical analysis rather than your intuition. YMMV.

Ultimately, you can go shop around and see if someone will insure you for less. That's the beauty of a competitive market.

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
I can't be certain, but it looks like California State Route 86 that runs along Salton Sea...

Messages Image(388705939).png

Is this the wood grain color of the black interior? Configurator shows a different color but in every video we see with black interior there are light stains on the wood....

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Is this the wood grain color of the black interior? Configurator shows a different color but in every video we see with black interior there are light stains on the wood....
EDIT: We believe this to be Forest Edge, not Ocean Coast.

It’s Ocean Coast, sort of. In the video it’s still pre production, the dash is grey and the speaker grills are not dark as in the production Ocean Coast picture on the configurator.

The video is on page one of this thread, it starts out wide angle in the cab and you can see the seats.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The wood trim in the Black Mountain interior appears to be black, although we've yet to actually see a real world version.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It’s Ocean Coast.
No, this is Forest Edge in the video. You can see the green interior in the rest of the video. Forest Edge looks like it has a Walnut stained wood.

Rivian has yet to show the black mountain interior in any of the recent videos. We've only seen Ocean Coast and Forest Edge, which both feature lighter wood accents.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Here is a true story from Phoenix, several years ago. Today all of the photo radars have been removed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna32806142
I read an article awhile back that stated that 80% of the revenue generated by the cameras goes to the private companies operating them. Primarily RedFlex, Zerox/ACS and American Traffic Solutions. I used to do a lot of government policy work (still do some) and the lobbyists for those companies were at pretty much every event I ever attended. It’s basically a big back scratching game where the companies grease the politicians’ campaign accounts, and then the politicians return the favor. All in the guise of “safety”, but we all know what it’s really about.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
No, this is Forest Edge in the video. You can see the green interior in the rest of the video. Forest Edge looks like it has a Walnut stained wood.

Rivian has yet to show the black mountain interior in any of the recent videos. We've only seen Ocean Coast and Forest Edge, which both feature lighter wood accents.
Agreed... It just looked like Ocean Coast to me at first glance on my phone. But looking now, on my larger computer screen, it doesn't look like any of the production configurator colors, but you're right, Forest Edge is the best match! I can't wait until we get actual production cars to do a deep dive in colors, fit and finish, and comfort!

Rivian R1T R1S Official Rivian Insurance Info Announced! Messages Image(359257394)

Rivian R1T R1S Official Rivian Insurance Info Announced! Messages Image(3481470759)

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC

The seats look black to me and I've seen the forest edge colors many times.

Rivian R1T R1S Official Rivian Insurance Info Announced! Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.22.01 AM

Sponsored

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
The seats look black to me and I've seen the forest edge colors many times.

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 11.22.01 AM.png
I agree, the seat does look dark in your screenshot. But I can really start to see Forest Edge in the door panel, and the wood trim.

I could be wrong, but I think the black matte wrapped truck they did the 5 minute video on with David Alexanian from Long Way Up, was Black Mountain. The seats really looked dark grey/black, and the pillars slightly lighter. Who knows... But we will know sooner than later at this point.

Rivian R1T R1S Official Rivian Insurance Info Announced! Messages Image(2781209076)

Rivian R1T R1S Official Rivian Insurance Info Announced! Messages Image(1666117377)

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The point is that this is anecdotal which doesn't hold over any large group and is often the basis of cognitive bias. Insurance companies use statistical evidence.
You're putting words in my mouth that I did not say.

I said *I* was a safe driver. I didn't say anything about the other crazy people on the road.

That's not necessarily true. Most insurance companies charge higher rates for people who get moving violations, including speeding. The reason for this is that these drivers, statistically, are more expensive to insure.
It's 100% true. Have you ever reviewed how insurance companies use their dongle? Brisk acceleration, hard braking, and driving over the speed limit all count against you for rate purposes.

Insurance companies ABSOLUTELY use speed against their customers.

Yes, tickets hurt more... but that is "whataboutism" -- a logical fallacy and a bad-faith argument. I didn't say speed was the ONLY factor -- simply that it IS a factor.

Yes they are in the business of making money. However, insurance is an extremely competitive industry. If they have data that a driver consistently 10mph above the limit on highways is as safe or safer than a driver who stays at the limit, then they would not raise rates - and may, in fact, lower them. More data should enable them to give you a more accurate price for your style of driving, based on statistical analysis rather than your intuition. YMMV.
You have WAY too much faith in the "free market". They don't have to compete if they agree to all do it -- and they DO *ALL* "DO IT".

Ultimately, you can go shop around and see if someone will insure you for less. That's the beauty of a competitive market.
Don't confuse "competition" with honesty, integrity, ethically, or any other adverb you want to apply.

I'm done with this conversation.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Rhidan,

Good eyes! After a second look, I see your points. Color in the seats and door panels and the wood is more of a natural tone, rather than the really light finish in the Ocean Coast.

I wish they'd stop teasing us with videos and pics. You know, in the dictionary, "Tease" and "Torture" are in the same neighborhood. ?
Sponsored