Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM Longhorn, Cancelled R1T Reservation
Occupation
Retired - Living the Dream!
Totally agreed.

While this may not be a deal-breaker, it is really disappointing.

I'm adding it to my running list of Over-promised and under-delivered.

I'm just venting now and don't actually maintain a list, but here's some of the things that they had previously told us would be included or optional:
-Powered tailgate
-Price is actually higher than they told us/Reuters it would be
-No electrochromatic roof (nor any sun-shade for the all glass roof)
-No removable roof at launch
-No 180 drop down tailgate
-No max battery pack at launch
-No level 3 autonomy
-No Lidar
-No spare tire included

Ugh. I'm depressing myself now. The value proposition is far below what it was when I put down my deposit.
Starting to get worried a bit. Hopefully they haven’t dropped their commitment to flat tow as I’ll have to drop out for sure.
Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Starting to get worried a bit. Hopefully they haven’t dropped their commitment to flat tow as I’ll have to drop out for sure.
Yeah, this is a major feature for me. The only other EV I've heard has claimed to be flat towable is the Fisker Ocean, and I can't even find solid confirmation of that.

If the Rivian isn't flat towable, it will probably be years before an EV alternative is available with this feature.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I really couldn't care less about a power tailgate. I've never had a power tailgate on a pickup and don't see a true need for it. Hopefully it will have gas struts so it lowers slowly, to help avoid broken fingers, fly rods, etc, etc. On the other hand, the power hatch back on my SQ5 is a very nice and handy feature that I use every time.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I don't have a stake in this game, as I'm getting an R1S.

However, I've owned a lot of trucks...my only tailgate "must have" is an electric lock. My 2015 Chevy had manual key lock, but didn't lock/unlock with the fob, so I installed an aftermarket solution to do it.

The power or dampened tailgates that buddies have on their trucks are a nice touch, but nothing I would personally lose any sleep over.

I would be upset if R1S lost the powered liftgate though. It really comes in handy in way more situations than I expected. Use it all the time on my Grand Cherokee, especially in our current days of curbside pickup & social distancing.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Interesting that they are still figuring this stuff out with production supposedly in as little as 3 1/2 months ? Makes me suspicious they will make the Summer 2021 date. That or they figured it out a long time ago and are just now telling us.

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Interesting that they are still figuring this stuff out with production supposedly in as little as 3 1/2 months ?
I have a reservation for a Lucid Air Dream Edition as well as a Rivian R1S, so I've been following developments at Lucid as closely as I can. They are following the same trajectory as Rivian, both in terms of removing features that were initially teased and in making changes at what seems to be late in the game.

Like Rivian, Lucid has canceled the electrochromic glass roof that was originally touted.

Lucid showroom cars have power-operated doors that are not going to make their way into at least the early production cars, apparently due to supplier issues with sensors. This is similar to Rivian's now dropping its power-operated tailgate, although the reasons might be different.

Lucid also teased a rear seat that would rival a Mercedes S-Class and BMW 7 Series in room and comfort, but it turns out the foot garages that made that so will only come with the smaller battery pack which is not going to be available at introduction. Rivian has done a similar switcheroo with not offering its larger battery pack at introduction, despite expectations to the contrary.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Good perspective, thanks @Hmp10

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
That would be the Explore Package.

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
It's the Explore Interior.
"Explore includes vegan leather seats with performance stitching and matte black finishes."

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms POWERED tailgate has now been KILLED Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 11.16.00 AM

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Based on the video Rivian just put out on their youtube channel, looks like one of those driver side buttons on the rear of the bed rail electronically releases the tailgate and that it lowers automatically (dampened).

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Good perspective, thanks @Hmp10
Let's hope the analogy between Lucid and Rivian doesn't carry too far. Amid all the hubbub yesterday about Lucid confirming the reverse merger with CCIV to go public, Lucid slipped in an announcement that their start of production for customer cars has been pushed out.

The launch Air Dream Edition, which was supposed to enter production in April, has been pushed into the 2nd half of the year. Dow Jones is speculating it's actually going to be more like the end of the year.

I have a Tesla Model S on which the non-renewable extended warranty expires in June. Given the very expensive repairs the car needed under warranty (including replacing the battery pack, the rear drive unit, and the MCU), it is not a car I want to own outside of warranty.

I was hoping to trade the Tesla against the Lucid, but now neither Lucid nor Rivian will release their launch vehicles in time. I might risk keeping the Tesla for 2-3 months until the RiS comes out if it stays on schedule, but even a slight delay would widen the gap beyond my tolerance.

I'm actually toying with ordering a Tesla Model X Plaid for spring delivery. (God help me.) I want to trade the Model S for something, and I don't want another ICE vehicle.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I can only hope that the power tail gate delete will be a deal breaker for at least a few LE potential buyers. That will move me up in line to get my R1T sooner.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
On my first initial thought going in and out of a truck bed getting items and gear is on par with getting things out of the back of an SUV.

In my mind having a powered tailgate was like having a powered rear hatch. After all the R1T has the distinction of a unique feature in way of the power tonneau cover, which in a functional sense compartmentalizes the bed and makes it more of a dedicated storage area, opposed to an open truck bed.

The frunk however, being powered open/close does somewhat serve this purpose of having a convient automated accessible storage location for the R1T. With my Model S I absolutely loved the frunk storage, but by default of the powered rear hatch, used that means of storage 90% of the time.

I feel that the frunk now, by being the only powered/automated storage option for the R1T will place a greater emphasis on storing items there. Problem I see with that is the potential damage from front loading your R1T and clearing the added height of the front of the vehicle as opposed to the rear access tailgate which has better convenience in access.

This is a big deal to me as it is to a lot of other preorder holders, but happily we still have the powered frunk.

This also is one reason why I'm actually happy to have my place in line pushed back until 2022 waiting for my Max Pack R1T.

Maybe I'll be able to get a powered tailgate by then? Otherwise the first thing I'll be doing with my R1T is getting protective wrap of the front end to save me the headache of all the scuffs and scratches that otherwise accompany the high access areas such as cargo beds (hence rear bumper scuff plates). Which again makes me wonder, why wouldn't the rear tailgate be powered, and the frunk simply be "soft close" to prevent hood damage?

Either way... We'll all just have to scratch our heads on this one. The soft open tailgate though is a great feature.
Sponsored

Last edited: