Sponsored

Black paint vehicle owners: Would you choose black paint again?

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have had a few black vehicles. I like the way they look for the most part, but I live and Florida, and is pretty hot here and black amplifies that. In a vehicle that I really plan to use a lot and keep for a long time, I would not consider black. In a short term vehicle that I want to have fun in and black is the color available... 10 times out of 10 I would take it.
Sponsored

SJCr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 BMW 740e 22 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Livery
Have a black suburban and a black bmw 740, ceramic coating, ppf, and hand washing are a must if you don’t want a swirled pos. Keeping livery cars clean is a royal pain.

IF my R1S every shows up. I’m taking delivery at my detailers shop, driving one loop around the block thenhaving my guy stealth wrap it.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I'm torn...

Pros:

- Looks incredibly cool
- Black wheels, black truck, black windows, black interior 😎

Con's:

- Scratches and everything etc
- Almost have to wrap it or ceramic coat

I love my black R1T and if the grey body cladding were also black matched I'd do it again, but I'm already gonna get paint correction (6k miles) work done to it and then ceramic to help it hold up better. I really don't feel the Rivian paint holds up as well as my other previous black cars (Cadillac, Range Rover, Lincoln). I've also owned white cars too, along with red, grey, and blue. I do like black, but it's a love-hate relationship really. When it looks good there's rarely a better looking car color, but otherwise there are a lot of headaches.

But for my Max Pack I'm probably gonna go white with ocean coast. I've always loved two-tone interiors. I just feel it helps break things up.

Hopefully Rivian will have a "black headliner" option for it by then to again streamline production 😉

Rivian R1T R1S Black paint vehicle owners: Would you choose black paint again? 0818222238_HDR

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

if the grey body cladding were also black matched I'd do it again
My wife and I just saw a black R1T with 21"s, aero cover and all, and while we both went "oo, black!" we definitely like the El Cap granite better. Especially matted El Cap, which we saw in person, because it matches the body cladding. Pics of matted black are cool, but matted El Cap is SLICK.

I also put piano black PPF on my front silver slide plate after taking some deep scratches on it, and I honestly love it. We plan to do that with matting when we get the R1S. I'll post a pic later.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

First new car I bought (which I think came from a factory in Normal) was black, and I told myself never again. 20ish years later the dealer I went to only had two colors available for what I wanted, one silver, one black, and I went for the black again. Looked great when clean. But too difficult to keep clean. Also noticeably hotter in the summer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Black is a PITA to keep clean. It looks great for about 10 minutes after you wash it…

Rivian R1T R1S Black paint vehicle owners: Would you choose black paint again? 85461829-156E-48CC-99E8-0EA2F9AFE51E

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'd love to get black but have silver on order. I plan to go camping and off roading a bit. So, not going to baby it like I do my other cars. It's a big lifestyle change for me so we shall see.