Sponsored

Will Rivian offer a home charging system?

ElTea

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Occupation
Pipeline Inspector
Will Rivian offer a home charging system.
Sponsored

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Will Rivian offer a home charging system? riv_evse

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is that a new pic? Definitely a Rivian-branded EVSE...interesting.
This pic was released on the updated web site just prior to the launch of the configurator.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
This pic was released on the updated web site just prior to the launch of the configurator.
Cool, I missed that! Think I was probably more interested in the text & didn't even notice.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Or,you can just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet (standard dryer plug) and save yourself a ton of money. Tesla Wall Charger is $800. Parts to install NEMA 14-50 was $20. They charge at about the same rate.

Sponsored

Matsayz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 & Y
Or,you can just install a NEMA 14-50 outlet (standard dryer plug) and save yourself a ton of money. Tesla Wall Charger is $800. Parts to install NEMA 14-50 was $20. They charge at about the same rate.
I agree with you on installing a simple NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the mobile charger. This will be the cheapest route as most electricians will charge about $300 to install this within 5 feet of the electrical panel.

The Tesla wall charger (the thing itself) is only $500 though. Installation will run a ~$100-200 so sure $800 in the end, maybe. https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector.

I'm sure Rivian will have their own branded or stickered wall box but honestly any J1772 wall charger will do the trick, Juicebox/ChargePoint/Grizzle-E/Clipper Creek/etc. I found these two links on their FAQ page. I thought I saw the Rivian onboard charger is something like 11.5kW but I'm sure someone can correct me, it's been a minute.

https://rivian.com/support/article/how-do-i-charge-my-rivian-vehicle-at-home

https://rivian.com/support/article/will-rivian-offer-a-home-charging-station

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I agree with you on installing a simple NEMA 14-50 outlet and use the mobile charger. This will be the cheapest route as most electricians will charge about $300 to install this within 5 feet of the electrical panel.

The Tesla wall charger (the thing itself) is only $500 though. Installation will run a ~$100-200 so sure $800 in the end, maybe. https://shop.tesla.com/product/wall-connector.

I'm sure Rivian will have their own branded or stickered wall box but honestly any J1772 wall charger will do the trick, Juicebox/ChargePoint/Grizzle-E/Clipper Creek/etc. I found these two links on their FAQ page.

https://rivian.com/support/article/how-do-i-charge-my-rivian-vehicle-at-home

https://rivian.com/support/article/will-rivian-offer-a-home-charging-station
The price for that Tesla charger has come down quite a bit since I bought my car in 2015. Good to see!

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
Is that a new pic? Definitely a Rivian-branded EVSE...interesting.

For those that don't have an EVSE yet appears that if you buy a Rivian EVSE they'll cover the install charges?!!? Second paragraph, second sentence?!?! Too cool. Also check with your City/County/State outfits and/or Energy Company...some still have reimbursement programs for covering the entire cost or partial reimbursement up to 'X' amount for purchases and/or installs for EVSE's.

Good things to consider prior to taking delivery...where will that 220 outlet go compared to where the Charge port will be in your given place of parking. ? Also make sure it's the correct flavor of connector that matches the plug you will be using. If you're going the hardwired route, one less item on the list.

I did some guesstimating and it looks like the charge cable will reach both Bumble and the Rivian based on where the charge port seems to be above the Driver-side Wheel well behind the headlight. So depending on how often we actually need to charge the Rivian we may not need to purchase a second JuiceBox and do a Load Sharing setup for that 50A circuit let alone have a second circuit pulled in. Again, totally speculative at this point. :cool:

FWIW, I've been using the JuiceBox Pro40 (with 14-50r plug) on a 50A circuit for just over a year with Bumble. Around then they were bought by EnelX and have a newly rebranded model that got a modern facelift with improved cable management.
Rivian R1T R1S Will Rivian offer a home charging system? IMG_20191130_063353
*Note* -photo taken 11/30/19. That cable is nowhere near as neat now. ?

After 10k miles and 12 months of juice...
Rivian R1T R1S Will Rivian offer a home charging system? PXL_20201208_144711563

For all intents and purposes it works great. Some hiccups here and there but the App has satisfied my tech-geek needs living with a nine year old battery with 32% degradation, no active cooling/heat pump, and an unheated garage. The Nissan Leaf App is decent until your phone updates. This is something I'm super excited for...a Rivian Phone App that actually works, all the time. If it ends up being as reliable as I've heard Tesla's is we're in good shape.

Lastly, I'm excited to see what Amperage we will be allowed to pump into these ginormous packs for L2/Home charging. Bumble is capped at about 16A yielding 3.3kW so it'll be interesting if I can throw the whole enchilada at the Rivian. If it's about ~15kW getting about 25 miles of range/hour that should be decent enough, so for me it's gonna seem like going from Dial-up to Broadband, but then again....the battery capacity is what...180/24...carry the 2... it's like waaaay bigger...so could end up being a wash. ;)

Last edited:

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
For those that don't have an EVSE yet appears that if you buy a Rivian EVSE they'll cover the install charges?!!? Second paragraph, second sentence?!?! Too cool.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. "We can take care of installation as part of this purchase" doesn't mean included in the purchase, just that they'll sell you the installation service at the same time. The support article isn't explicit either, but "if you purchase the wall-mounted station we can help with installation." I'm not getting any explicit "free of charge" or "included with purchase" from any of the language...

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Lastly, I'm excited to see what Amperage we will be allowed to pump into these ginormous packs for L2/Home charging. Bumble is capped at about 16A yielding 3.3kW so it'll be interesting if I can throw the whole enchilada at the Rivian. If it's about ~15kW getting about 25 miles of range/hour that should be decent enough, so for me it's gonna seem like going from Dial-up to Broadband, but then again....the battery capacity is what...180/24...carry the 2... it's like waaaay bigger...so could end up being a wash. ;)
The Rivian will take 48A, which requires a hardwired EVSE on a 60A circuit. Your Juicebox will provide 40A, or about 9.6 kW (will vary a bit +/- based on the actual line voltage that will likely stray a bit from the nominal 240).
Sponsored