MIDNIGHT (Black) Rivian Photos

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Video of particular interest is admixed with other stuff (including front end PPF on an El Cap R1T) but some nice footage of black R1T pre and post stealth wrap.
Sponsored

JohnnyRico

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Long time lurker, first time poster. I appreciate all the insights and banter in this community and thought I should contribute a bit.

Preorder date: June 1, 2019
R1T Max-Pack, Limestone, Black Mountain interior, 20"AT, all options

January 2022
Converted to Adventure when my Max-Pack date was pushed to 1H23.

March 2022
First pics of Limestone. A little too light for me. Changed to Midnight.

April 21, 2022
Guide Contact

May 6, 2022
Delivery at Denver service center

TLDR; This is my first EV. Best piece of machinery I've ever owned. I'm a fan. Mine has a suspension issue that needs to be corrected, but I look forward to putting thousands of miles on this beast!

Delivery

Delivery process was amazing. After completing the 8-step, I had to sign 3 documents at delivery. That's it. Perhaps more importantly, I didn't have to sit across from a dealership finance guy asking me for the sixth time if I was really really really sure I didn't want the extended warranty.

Also, for the first time in my life, I didn't know more about the vehicle than the person delivering it. My 'delivery-guide' was fantastic!

I traded in my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The price was fair. I simply parked it at the service center, handed them the keys and title, and they handled the rest.

Overall Impressions

My R1T has no body flaws that I can detect. All of the body panels have consistent, tight seams. No paint flaws. The interior is equally well put together.

I am surprised how mature the vehicle software is. Everything works as expected and the whole system is snappy and fluid. My vehicle had 2022.15.0 installed when delivered.

Like others, I find the automatic tonneau to be a little cringy when operated, but so far, it works as advertised.

I received my Rivian charger two days after taking delivery and is now installed. It's super cool to just plug in at home!

Break-In

The day after delivery, I took it on a quick 800 mile weekend trip to Grand Junction, CO to do some hiking and some mild off-roading. My previous off-roading vehicles were a Ford Raptor and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

I charged the truck twice on the way out (from Colorado Springs to Grand Junction), just to get a feel for how the charging process works. Both charges were at EA 350kW chargers. 20-85% took roughly 35 mins and charing rates were above 200kW (starting). There was an L2 charger at the hotel I stayed at making an overnight charge easy (and cheap!). I've used the EA and ChargePoint apps so far. Although not completely intuitive or bug-free, these apps are much farther along than I thought they would be. Overall, very usable.

Off-roading with the R1T is everything they say it is. Power delivery is smooth and uneventful. The suspension soaks up a lot of ruts and rocks. The motor regen is capable of bringing the truck to a crawl even on the steepest grades. Although the EV noise generator is super-lame when off-roading, it's still much quieter than my ICE vehicles.

I had a tree limb scratch the crap out of the right side of the truck (it buffed out, fortunately). Now I don't have to dread that first blemish!

The truck handles beautifully on the highway. It's very easy to travel at siren-inducing speeds without realizing it. While the AT tires and the truck's tremendous weight prevent true sports car handling, I've never driven a truck that's this planted in curves.

Rivian R1T R1S MIDNIGHT (Black) Rivian Photos IMG_1939

Rivian R1T R1S MIDNIGHT (Black) Rivian Photos Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 6.26.39 AM

Rivian R1T R1S MIDNIGHT (Black) Rivian Photos IMG_1942

Mechanical Gripes

I've seen threads on the forum regarding front end rattles and squeaks. My truck has this. Sounds like the suspension is loose. It's generally only noticeable at slow speeds (10-35mph). I can occasionally feel this clunky-ness in the pedals. It's also very annoying.

I've had a Rivian service tech out to take a look. He heard the noises, spent an hour under the truck making sure everything was tight and properly torqued, but the problem remains. I am eager to hear about others who may have experienced this and found a successful fix.

I also have some mild hood flutter at highway speeds (70+mph). It's not bad and could be ignored if there were never a fix.

There seems to be some excessive wind noise at the small triangular windows at the very front of the driver and passenger doors. Admittedly, my speed was also excessive when I noticed this. Still deciding what to do here.

Electronic/Software Gripes

I've had to turn the Phone as a Key "approach to unlock" feature off, as my living room is very close to my garage. The truck was locking and unlocking all the time. For now, I'm only using the key fob, or the lock/unlock button on the app. Both work as expected.

The battery life on my iPhone has taken a dive since taking delivery. It used to go 1.5 days before recharging, now I have to recharge mid-day. The phone's battery app says the the Riving app is using 60% of my battery in the background. I'm hopeful that this will get sorted in the next software release or two.

I use a credit card case on my phone, so inductive charging is out. Still, my phone randomly says it's charing when on the charging pad, but it slides around so much that even without the case it might never charge. It would be nice to turn the phone charger off in the center screen controls.

Conclusion

There are still many of you who have been waiting longer for this truck/SUV than I have. I hope you get yours soon. All I can say is, it's worth the wait!

Sponsored

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The R1T looks very upscale in black paint. This one was at my local Rivian service center.

Rivian R1T R1S MIDNIGHT (Black) Rivian Photos 3FDFDA13-EDE8-462B-A814-4B1F2B29792D