Sponsored

Any tests done on Vampire battery drain?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but I think I read somewhere there is something like a transport mode. Can an owner verify if it exist, what the power consumption is and how long it takes to get out of it? What the downsides of using it would be?
@Riviot tested Ship mode earlier in this thread and didn’t see much if any benefit.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I use less than 15 kWh a day to power a 4 bedroom house.
How do you do that? It's half the US average. My garage uses that much (16 kWh) and there's nothing in it but a couple of heat pumps and the Model X.

Note that of the 16 kWh 4 goes to the X's phantom drain.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
How do you do that? It's half the US average. My garage uses that much (16 kWh) and there's nothing in it but a couple of heat pumps and the Model X.

Note that of the 16 kWh 4 goes to the X's phantom drain.
I live in SoCal not far from Beach, I never use heat rarely use AC gas dryer, all appliances are energy star rated and most lights are LEDs, TVs are led.

I put in a 6.29 kw solar system that currently generates more than twice what I use. I scoped it expecting to have the Rivian by the time it was installed, been installed for 10 month’s still no Rivian.

Here is the latest bill, they changed the system recently so there is nothing on the current bills past a year, second image is from before I added solar. I would not have been able to get an ROI on the solar if I was not getting the Rivian. Most of the charging for the Tesla is free. I am charging the Tesla more at the house now so I do not get kicked out of the NEM program.

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? C01A37E4-BA0A-4C20-9CB3-92D3DA9510EC

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? CCE67E05-7B2E-4FC7-8A62-4624612E42B9

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I live in SoCal not far from Beach,
Thanks. Ten kWh/da must seem extremely excessive to you and I think it is but phantom is definitely a part of the equation in BEV ownership and must be considered. As I noted in my last post I have about 4 kWh/da (88% of Model X drivers experience less than that) phantom but we just turned A/C on today and are looking at about 120 kWh consumption for the day so comparatively phantom doesn't seem so bad.

Given that the Rivian has got about as many bells and whistles as the X they ought to be able to get the phantom drain down to around 2 kWh/da (which is the approximate drain the average X owner experiences). That's still going to be a big part of an average load of 14 kWh but you are in unusually favorable circumstances in terms of electric consumption.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

I won't finalize my two orders until it's fixed. It's a grotesque waste of energy.
To be clear, not all owners are experiencing this much drain. Since the latest software update my loss has improved significantly. Overnight (~13 hrs) last night I lost 1 mile of range, or less than half a kWh.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
To be clear, not all owners are experiencing this much drain. Since the latest software update my loss has improved significantly. Overnight (~13 hrs) last night I lost 1 mile of range, or less than half a kWh.
What is your average temperature where you are? I’m on latest software, everything off…proximity sensors, outlets, gear guard…best I can do is about 5-6 miles change per 16 hour period..,but truck is outside under a carport and in 90-100 degree temps everyday.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

What is your average temperature where you are? I’m on latest software, everything off…proximity sensors, outlets, gear guard…best I can do is about 5-6 miles change per 16 hour period..,but truck is outside under a carport and in 90-100 degree temps everyday.
Overnight last night was low 70s here.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Overnight last night was low 70s here.
Nice. Someone had mentioned that Rivian likes the pack around 70, so most of the “drain” is probably due to battery management. Need to give it a wider range of temp before the cooling/heating of the pack maybe?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nice. Someone had mentioned that Rivian likes the pack around 70, so most of the “drain” is probably due to battery management. Need to give it a wider range of temp before the cooling/heating of the pack maybe?
For my last two overnight periods on 2022.15.0, parked in my insulated garage (~60s) and I have lost ~3kWh both nights

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
Here’s some food for thought. An iPhone 13 Max is constantly available, constantly connected to LTE, always available to receive a notification. The Max has the largest battery Apple offers in an iPhone. It’s 16.75Wh. That’s watt hours not kilowatt hours. Despite that, that battery lasts most people a full day without issue.

4kWh is 239 iPhone 13 Maxes worth of power consumption. That’s a LOT of computational power. Imagine what your Rivian could be doing that would take over two hundred iPhones.

Anyone who arrogantly says it’s not, just because some other company can’t get their act together, is full of crap.

Its so much power that it can’t simply be due to “extra features” or “a lot of logging and telemetry”. Running fans or pumps would use a lot of power like that. A bad power conversion/distribution architecture for the various ECUs could also hurt quite a bit. Hopefully it’s just needless wakes and battery conditioning though, and Rivian can clean it up after a couple updates.

It looks like they were spending so much time testing the trucks before they started shipping them, that they never left a truck to sit idle to see what happens 😅.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

love all these armchair EEs.

10kWh / 24 h = 417W.

The latest i5 processor from Intel's mobile segment (https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...-12m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz/specifications.html) has power consumption between 55W normal and 157W max.

Typical cheap embedded cameras consume 2W max usage. Rivian has 11 cameras.

So powering 11 cameras, using gear guard to do object detection could be close to 180W.

Next question comes in, how are the computers powered? If they use typical automotive power, it will be 12V. So we have the 400V, stepped down to 12V, stepped down to the voltage needed for the electronics. Someone like AJ can do the math, but that 180W takes more than 180W when you have to convert the voltage. I know in some of my projects you're looking at 10+% power loss across the voltage conversion.

Then you might ask, why are they using such a powerful cpu? Look at teslas, as software capability increased, it pushed beyond the capabilities of the old hardware. So you'd want to have hardware with some future proof built in, specially if one of your main revenue streams is your subscription model. Wouldn't work well if the vehicles couldn't support new software after 2-3 years like cellphones.

So add the electronics on top of the battery thermal management (which could be improved if it is indeed attempting to hold the battery at exactly 70f) and 400W does not seem out of the ordinary.

Getting back to my computer, if I used 100% of my CPU/GPU, not including SSDs/RAM/Fans/conversions, I could use 450W. This is also why my energy bill for the last month has been high, I've been gaming much more than usual.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I guess I'll add in a better comparison for the electrically challenged.

The R1T uses the equivalent of 4 light bulbs worth of power (I know you enjoy your 100W lightbulbs).

So think, the vehicle only uses the same power as 4 lightbulbs, incredible.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I guess I'll add in a better comparison for the electrically challenged.

The R1T uses the equivalent of 4 light bulbs worth of power (I know you enjoy your 100W lightbulbs).

So think, the vehicle only uses the same power as 4 lightbulbs, incredible.
Anyone using 100W incandescent light bulbs probably doesn’t care a bit about 3kWh/day of passive energy loss on their truck.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
For reference... my 5 bedroom 2K sq/ft home consumes only 21kWh on days we don't plug in the Model 3 or i3...
10kWh of drain/day from an sitting EV is gigantic!

Rivian R1T R1S Any tests done on Vampire battery drain? 1653101270003
Sponsored