Sponsored

Will Rivian meet R1S promised delivery dates?

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant
I reserved my R1S back in October of 2021 and got the e-mail confirmation in December that I would receive my R1S in Q3 of 2023. The problem is my car costs me a small fortune to operate and I would like to make a change now because it is not a great daily driver, I almost never drive it with the top down, it is a gas hog and it is really expensive to operate. I am considering leasing a Lexus RX in the meantime, just something they have on the lot, nothing too fancy. The question is, how short of a lease do I sign? I am a year and a half out from Rivian's promise date but I suspect that date will slip. I think 30 months is the shortest term lease Lexus offers right now and I think that will be enough but what if its not? Anyone have any idea if Rivian will be able to meet the Q3 of 2023 date? I wonder if they will meet their Q2 production/delivery goals, I still haven't seen any R1S deliveries yet. They didn't meet their Q1 goals.
Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

They are already 2 months late? They have already missed their dates so yes because a March delivery is now slated for June. The problem is they didnt even let folks know officially lol. Just thru passive emails saying more information to follow end of May etc.

/thread

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Just thru passive emails saying more information to follow end of May etc.
I'm wondering by how much they will miss their goal of telling us by how much they will miss their goal...

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Yeah. At least a month late at this point. My delivery promise was March/April on my R1S and I don't have a date on May 20th.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Rather than lease a Lexus, I'd suggest you go test drive a polestar 2. You can get pre configured models pretty quickly, at MSRP, get the tax credit, then trade it in when your Rivian arrives.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Simple answer ... nope.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
Will they meet your delivery window of Q3 2023? Possibly. That's far enough out they could "catch up" to where they expected to be. But we are too far off to tell for sure right now. As others have said - they have NOT met their delivery windows for 2022 so far (for any R1Ss and some R1Ts). We don't know if the existing windows are on track or not (probably not).

I have 2 pre-orders, both with 2022 windows (July-Sept R1S, Oct-Dec R1T). But no word on what the status is for Canadian deliveries, and I didn't get that most recent email that, according to some CS agents, was sent to everyone with a 2022 delivery window. So based on that and the delay on R1S that they haven't officially announced - I assume both my deliveries have probably been punted to 2023.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I have a July '21 R1S pre-order (around #40,000) and Rivian's original email said 1H2023 delivery. I highly doubt that based off of current data and more expecting 2H2023.

I would wager an Oct2021 reservation is a 1H2024 delivery.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The farther out your delivery window is, the more likely they are to deliver on schedule. While 2022 is obviously not on schedule, at some point in the next year R1S deliveries will be as commonplace as R1T and the backlog will reduce. It's too soon to worry about Late 2023 deliveries being on time. Even if you do a 2 year lease that puts you at Mid 2024, and by then I'd expect things to be on track or else the company might not survive.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I think people with 2023 deliveries are for the most part, not impacted by low volume of deliveries thus far.

A few thousand vehicles behind schedule is a lot right now. But in 2023, they're expecting to be producing 1,000 - 2,000 vehicles a week. At that rate, they are only a few weeks behind schedule.

So as long as they can ramp production rate up to the expected level eventually, low production now has almost no impact on 2023 deliveries.

What 2023 delivery people need to worry about is Rivian failing to ever reach their target production rate. If they never go faster than they are now, your ETA might be 2028.

Last edited:
OP
OP

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant
I think I'm just going to purchase the RX and then trade it in when the Rivian becomes available. That way I'm flexible when it comes to timing as I can keep the RX as long as I need to.
Sponsored