Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Meet Zaya, not related to Gear Guard Garry.

Rivian R1T R1S “Installed” New Gear Guard and Alarm 787CB92E-08F8-49E5-B39B-C2DEC58AA01F
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Love the dog but want to make sure you're aware that that is a bad spot for a dog should the dash or knee airbags deploy.

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yep, I am fully aware. She normally rides in a crate in the back seat. Unfortunately, it appears the R1T will not work for her. 😟

Fortunately, I have an R1S on order!

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sweet OTA update

Any release notes?

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sweet OTA update

Any release notes?
It seems like it is subscription based. I need to feed and water daily. I also need to take it out a couple times a day.

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Yep, I am fully aware. She normally rides in a crate in the back seat. Unfortunately, it appears the R1T will not work for her. 😟

the seats in the back flip up...think you could make it work...

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

the seats in the back flip up...think you could make it work...
Unfortunately, it is too small of an area. My best bet is to fill the foot well of the backseat and get something to allow the crate to sit flat on the seat. The next problem becomes the height of the seat. I don’t really want her jumping down from that height.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Unfortunately, it is too small of an area. My best bet is to fill the foot well of the backseat and get something to allow the crate to sit flat on the seat. The next problem becomes the height of the seat. I don’t really want her jumping down from that height.
I was considering removing the 60 split, only unknown is if disconnecting the seat would upset the computer. I think the only wiring in the seat is for the heater since the occupancy sensor is based on if the belt is clasped.

I likewise have an R1S on order, and one of the main reasons is so our dog can be crated in the cargo area. However, looking at the cargo load height, I think the R1S might be a bit tall, even in “lowest” setting. My dog is only 4-5 years old, but we don’t stay young forever and she is already having some trouble with our other SUVs if it’s not parked just right.

If one can remove the 60 or 40 split bench seat bottom, that would free up a lot of space in the R1T and be lowest dog entry height.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I was considering removing the 60 split, only unknown is if disconnecting the seat would upset the computer. I think the only wiring in the seat is for the heater since the occupancy sensor is based on if the belt is clasped.

I likewise have an R1S on order, and one of the main reasons is so our dog can be crated in the cargo area. However, looking at the cargo load height, I think the R1S might be a bit tall, even in “lowest” setting. My dog is only 4-5 years old, but we don’t stay young forever and she is already having some trouble with our other SUVs if it’s not parked just right.

If one can remove the 60 or 40 split bench seat bottom, that would free up a lot of space in the R1T and be lowest dog entry height.
My Akita (see avatar) is 11. We are using an Orvis hammock system (Grip-Tight® Heritage Hammock Seat Protector), along with two
Enchanted Home Pet Orthopedic Sturdy Backseat Extender with Storage Black, Large (51 - 100 lbs)

Rivian R1T R1S “Installed” New Gear Guard and Alarm 1652118471373
from Amazon. These go under the hammock system and collapse when not needed. I store them in the gear tunnel. The hammock goes into the storage under the seat when not in use. This accommodates my Akita and my 18 month Korean Sapsali. The Akita uses a ramp to get up in the truck (another gear tunnel storage). Be sure to get one that works with the width of the rear door opening. Lots of moving parts, but the ensemble does work. I attach their vest harnesses to the metal attachment for child seats at the center back of the rear seat.
The Orvis hammock (not my dog or truck):
Rivian R1T R1S “Installed” New Gear Guard and Alarm 1652119172715

My dogs:
Rivian R1T R1S “Installed” New Gear Guard and Alarm 1652119339945

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Very creative accessibility solutions!

Sponsored

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
In our M3, we have our dog in a car harness (has more material around the chest to spread impact energy more evenly than just a strap harness) and then a strap that connects from the harness to the seat anchor (for kid seats). It'll allow him some movement in the truck, let him fit (he's 70 pounds at 7 months old, so his crate wouldn't even fit in an R1S I don't think) and should keep him safe in the event of a crash.

I should be getting the truck in the next week or two and will use the same set up there.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You're getting an R1S, so I assume you'll just throw the crate in the back, but if you want another option, definitely consider a seat hammock and a crash-rated car harness.

If you don't want the pup jumping to far up and down, consider getting steps like this, which can be folded flat:

https://www.campingworld.com/range-kleen-camp-step-124706.html

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Something like this but folding up both seats is still too small?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

I know they do it in the service trucks.
Sponsored