Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
HUD is useless (literally invisible) if you are wearing polarized sunglasses, like you should be.
This depends on the HUD and the sunglasses. It is variable. If it's important see the HUD and wear polarized lenses you can generally tilt your head a bit to read the HUD, or try a different brand of sunglasses

The difficulty in reading LCD screens and HUDs is one of the reasons that non-polarized sunglasses are strongly preferred for flying and generally preferred for driving. Polarized glasses are most useful for watersports, especially fishing.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I missed where it was confirmed to be excluded, what's the reference?
Let me see if I can find the reference. If I can find it I will edit this post.

It was in one of the things I was reading about the new in house motors and new 800 volt architecture. It did not specifically say not in the 400 volt architecture but the way it was worded certainly implied pretty hard it was a new Interface that allows for bidirectional charging.

Edit,

Here is where I read it does not exist in current hardware. Neither of these are definitive but the way they read certainly leans that way;

Near the end of this article they talk about developing bidirectional components and chargers.

This article also references it as new technology.

Edit 2: Here is the verbiage from the Rivian Shareholders letter that was what really made me fairly certain it is not in the current architecture. I’d love to be wrong, just reading between the lines….

“This 800-volt architecture also includes an integrated on-board charger, DC to DC converter, and DC to AC converter, where the power stages of the DC-AC and AC-DC are bi-directional“

Last edited:

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think you're the type of person who wants the features of a $150k car for $75k. Let me guess, you complained to Rivian about the pre-order price increase, didn't you?
First, you seem awfully antagonistic / combative to me and I’m not here to fight with anyone. If it’s just that you’re having a bad day I hope it gets better.

No, I don’t want the features of a $150k car for $75k. In fact, I want at least the features of a $50,000 SUV built in 2006 for the $80K SUV I configured. The same features and much more would be available on a 2022 Land Rover Defender which is in the same ballpark as an R1S with today’s prices.

I’ve consistently said that the Rivian was a great value before the pricing debacle and I think it’s still a good value even at the new pricing.

No, I didn’t complain to Rivian about the price increase. No, I didn’t cancel my order. While not thrilled with a ~$19K price increase for my same config, I was planning to eliminate a paint upgrade and an accessory and keep the order in play.

So, basically, you’re incorrect in every point you raised in the quoted post. You’ve proven my point that some people seem to think that they know everything about others and, further, should be able to dictate what preferences are correct and incorrect for them.

edit: clarity

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Not true. Modern HUDs work with polarized sunglasses. Lincoln was the first to introduce, I believe.
Don't know the definition of modern, but my 2019 eTron does not.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The disappointment some people are feeling is 100% Rivian's fault. Not because any/all of these things needed to be included, but because Rivian withheld these details longer than what was reasonable or necessary.

Rivian claims that the design was complete long ago and that if not for the pandemic, they would have been selling trucks long ago. They also claimed that the first production vehicles were delivered last year. If any of that is true, they could have and should have shared all of these details long ago. And if they are lying, well that is not acceptable behavior either.

Saying go buy something else is not helpful when the opportunities to do so may have long since come and gone.

Last edited:

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It was an example. We're talking about a $80-100k, 300 mile range, 7 seat electric, SUV. Something that literally has never existed before. And we're concerned that there are bottle holders, but not cupholders, in the third row.

The culture on this forum of constantly expecting more and more is ridiculous.
I agree with this sentiment. Every feature that is apparently lacking is argued in a vacuum, but nobody steps back and assesses what all they are getting/not getting for the price. It's true that there are features that are not in Rivians that are included in a vehicle half the price, but that is a flawed argument because you're not buying that one feature.

For example, Porsche charges an additional $60/mo for it's suite of driver assistance features, on top of a Taycan already costing $100k+, when a Nissan Altima has it for "free".

Now, certainly everyone values different features to a varying degree, but it's a poor position to be arguing that a vehicle that is already being sold at a significant loss should have numerous more features without an increase in cost.

However, if the argument is that it should both have more features and accordingly cost more, well that's a fair debate.

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
Problem with these forums is just like politics. People basically become fanboys and any criticism no matter how big or small is responded to like it was a personal attack.

Yes fair expectation that the R1S have basics that my Palisade has like a push button to open the rear, and buttons in the back (like pre production) to raise/lower at minimum the 3rd row seats, the ability to control air and heat from the 2nd row, etc.

Will I still purchase? Yeah.
Is that an inconvenient disappointment though? Uh sure is when you look at the price of a fully loaded Palisade.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It seems that I'm one of the very, very few that remembers that R1S is just a vehicle.

From my perspective, the top priorities that I am looking for are:
1) Driving dynamics and drivability (i.e., is it fun to drive and responsive)
2) Safety conscience design and implementation
3) Sufficient range (~300 miles) in a single charge - because real world range will be 20~30% less
4) Is it the right size (not too big or not too small)
5) Low maintenance and operating cost (minimal inconvenience and recurring costs)
6) Not have to buy through a greedy dealer

ALL other things are nicety and convenience, and nothing more. @SoCal Rob is right in that one would expect most of what you'd find in a comparable vehicles in the price range, but if it doesn't, it doesn't. I'm sure R1S will have features that others in the price range do not so its a matter of do you like the feature set or not. If not, then its not the right choice for you.

My thoughts on cup holders and bottle holders are that they collect dust and dirt. They are hard clean. I remember when cars didn't come with cup holders but all cars did come with a cigarette lighter and ashtrays.... I've seen accessories that fits in a bottle holder that adds two cup holders - perhaps something like that will work for those that seek for the 3rd row.

Two zone climate control in a small volume (any passenger vehicle) seems just fine to me. If the passengers want more air than you do, just point your vent up and away from you towards the back. When cold, rear seat heaters are more effective, I believe, than having a different climate zone. Besides, heaters eat up more energy than AC or heated seats on EVs so keep that in mind.

My biggest disappointment about the manual is that its a flat PDF file and not an interactive app. As for the R1S, its hard to start nit picking until we actually have a vehicle to touch and feel so that we all have the same reference point to compare things to.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Certainly, I wanted the 5 passenger model R1S from the get-go. But, I understand the change, if the change truly means that they can simplify their supply chain and build the vehicle faster.

However, if this truly represents the final version, I'm at a loss why they chose to make the third seat armrests fixed rather than an armrest that folds in the vehicle like the seats. And the chrome or chrome-like edge to the armrest ... how is that a good idea on a so-called adventure vehicle?

Here is the R1S

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! đź“’ (August 22, 2022) 1651777263136

Here is a 2020 Land Rover Discovery ...

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Owners Guide Manual Available! đź“’ (August 22, 2022) 1651777346348

After golf, I dump in my folded golf cart along with golf clubs and don't have to worry about damaging my Accura RDX. Now, not only am I losing effective room, I'm either buying/making protection around the two armrests and/or a cover. And why? With a new company I want them to build on the good ideas of others, not regress.

So ... to sum it up, we got seven seats, seemingly lost the ability to have a full-sized spare and lost the ability to add battery space/capacity. And we gained fixed armrests for the third row seats.

Craptastic.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The disappointment some people are feeling is 100% Rivian's fault. Not because any/all of these things needed to be included, but because Rivian withheld these details longer than what was reasonable or necessary.

Rivian claims that the design was complete long ago and that and that and that if not for the pandemic, they would have been started selling trucks long ago. They also claimed that the first production vehicles were delivered last year. If any of that is true, they could have and should have shared all of these details long ago. And if they are lying, well that is not acceptable behavior either.

Saying go buy something else is not helpful when the opportunities to do so may have long since come and gone.
To be fair, I’ll accept some of the blame because in some cases it was a lack of information from Rivian plus an assumption on my part that the missing detail would be class-competitive. Honestly, with the rear climate touchscreen shown, I thought I was reading the R1T manual incorrectly when it showed 2 zones and then I thought this had to be an error in the manual or a coming soon feature.

I won’t be surprised if the hardware exists in all R1 vehicles built for at least one additional zone (rear) which will become functional with a future software release. I’m not counting on it, but it sure would be nice if a future OTA update revealed this.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Certainly, I wanted the 5 passenger model R1S from the get-go. But, I understand the change, if the change truly means that they can simplify their supply chain and build the vehicle faster.

However, if this truly represents the final version, I'm at a loss why they chose to make the third seat armrests fixed rather than an armrest that folds in the vehicle like the seats. And the chrome or chrome-like edge to the armrest ... how is that a good idea on a so-called adventure vehicle?

Here is the R1S

1651777263136.png

Here is a 2020 Land Rover Discovery ...

1651777346348.png

After golf, I dump in my folded golf cart along with golf clubs and don't have to worry about damaging my Accura RDX. Now, not only am I losing effective room, I'm either buying/making protection around the two armrests and/or a cover. And why? With a new company I want them to build on the good ideas of others, not regress.

So ... to sum it up, we got seven seats, seemingly lost the ability to have a full-sized spare and lost the ability to add battery space/capacity. And we gained fixed armrests for the third row seats.

Craptastic.
To be fair, you did not lose the ability to have a full size spare, the R1S never had that.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
That is an older prototype, so the newer is very likely different. Also, that handle is covered when the top is closed, so an operator for the power top wouldn't be very usable in that location.
I was thinking that spot could be for use with the hatch open while there would be an outside button used for when the hatch is closed. Isn't that how every van or SUV does it? I think every powered hatch or trunk I have ever used had one button on the outside and another on the inside, but you have me questioning myself.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I was thinking that spot could be for use with the hatch open while there would be an outside button used for when the hatch is closed. Isn't that how every van or SUV does it? I think every powered hatch or trunk I have ever used had one button on the outside and another on the inside, but you have me questioning myself.
The guide has no mention of a button on the outside of the R1S, FWIW...