Sponsored

What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1?

Real world R1 efficiency observations

• Total voters

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You vehicle does not count that energy as a part of efficiency calculations when you are plugged in?
Of course not. If it were preconditioning while unplugged, then it does count it in the in-vehicle data. That said, if you looked at miles traveled vs kWh consumed by my EVSE, then overall efficiency would be far lower. But if I don't look, it never happened...right? :p With my MINI I care more about that cabin conditioning happening from wall-power rather than the battery since the battery is so small to start with.
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: Max

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
Sadly my average is really bad. Usually in All-purpose. Stopped doing launches after 5 days of having the truck.

Rivian R1T R1S What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1? 20220421_091547
Rivian R1T R1S What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1? 20220421_103443

My last 15 min best is 2.64 mi/kwh and usually it's between 1.5 - 2.2 mi/kwh.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sadly my average is really bad. Usually in All-purpose. Stopped doing launches after 5 days of having the truck.

20220421_091547.jpg
20220421_103443.jpg

How are you averaging 18mph? Are you pacing a bicycle?

Serious question though, what is the terrain? That seems pretty low to me for average consumption. I would expect over 500 miles it to be in at least the 1.9-2.0 range.

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How are you averaging 18mph? Are you pacing a bicycle?

Serious question though, what is the terrain? That seems pretty low to me for average consumption. I would expect over 500 miles it to be in at least the 1.9-2.0 range.
I'm doing mostly surface street driving, very little highway driving right now. Mostly up and down the nice Eastside hilly terrain, which means in theory that I am regen-ing when I go down and I see that. I really don't know why it's so bad. Only other data point I have is my 2019 Subaru Forester and it's been getting 24.85 mpg average over 1482 miles.

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@SANZC02
Here's my new charts for the drive I took from work to home. I really think they count me sitting in the truck, doing nothing but enjoying it while I'm parked, against my mph average...

Rivian R1T R1S What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1? 20220421_185443
Rivian R1T R1S What kind of efficiency are you getting in your R1? 20220421_185437

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
@SANZC02
Here's my new charts for the drive I took from work to home. I really think they count me sitting in the truck, doing nothing but enjoying it while I'm parked, against my mph average...

20220421_185443.jpg
20220421_185437.jpg
Do you live at the top of a hill?

Are your tires flat?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@SeaGeo
Yes, I drive down the hill in the morning and up and down another to get to work. Small hills. But still am able to get 2.2+ kwh/mi on the 15 min charts....and yet...my average is still garbage. Tires are fine last I checked.

@kanundrum
I probably should just full send everywhere if it's not making a difference in my truck. I mean it still thinks I'm only going 18mph...clearly my highway speeds and local speeds way above that hasn't made it increase.

I think the paint chips are hurting my efficiency. You know those small gouges? They just keep cutting the wind making the truck overall less aerodynamic. 😆

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I drive down the hill in the morning and up and down another to get to work. Small hills. But still am able to get 2.2+ kwh/mi on the 15 min charts....and yet...my average is still garbage. Tires are fine last I checked.
Well that's weird.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

20220421_091547.jpg
20220421_103443.jpg

Check out the Vampire Drain thread, the trip meter includes your downtime and overnight power consumption when not moving. Personally, I really hate this. It doesn't show your travel efficiency, which is what matters.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
@SeaGeo

@kanundrum
I probably should just full send everywhere if it's not making a difference in my truck. I mean it still thinks I'm only going 18mph...clearly my highway speeds and local speeds way above that hasn't made it increase.

I think the paint chips are hurting my efficiency. You know those small gouges? They just keep cutting the wind making the truck overall less aerodynamic. 😆
I think your initial accelerations has had a traumatic impact on your average. I suggest looking at your trip B or resetting the whole thing, don’t sit in the truck playing with UI and see what numbers you get. Once you know how to get good averages, go back to having fun.

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think your initial accelerations has had a traumatic impact on your average. I suggest looking at your trip B or resetting the whole thing, don’t sit in the truck playing with UI and see what numbers you get. Once you know how to get good averages, go back to having fun.
On the weekends, I really enjoy sitting in the truck listening to music and reading a book. And I guess it doesn't help that I do tend to show the truck to curious people. That's going to be hard to give up just to get accurate #'s. When I initially picked up the R1T, it was displaying 1.51-1.54 mi/kwh.

Reactions: Max

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
Check out the Vampire Drain thread, the trip meter includes your downtime and overnight power consumption when not moving. Personally, I really hate this. It doesn't show your travel efficiency, which is what matters.
True, but it's the most accurate reflection of your actual energy usage and no different than how ICE vehicles calculate trip efficiency. Energy spent on auxiliary loads overnight get counted next time you turn the car on and burn more gas running the alternator to recharge the 12V. It's just less noticeable because it happens while you're driving, it's replenishing way less energy, and it's a relatively insignificant fraction of the total energy spent turning the crankshaft.

I think the right answer is Rivian needs to get its auxiliary systems under control so they're not burning kWhs worth of power just sitting around...or at least give us an interface to see what's using the power and the option to turn it off if it's not critical.

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5
On the weekends, I really enjoy sitting in the truck listening to music and reading a book. And I guess it doesn't help that I do tend to show the truck to curious people. That's going to be hard to give up just to get accurate #'s. When I initially picked up the R1T, it was displaying 1.51-1.54 mi/kwh.
Unless it's costing you a ton of extra money, why worry about it? You mentioned you have no problem averaging 2.2+ on the 15 min chart so your driving efficiency is in line with everyone else...you're just using more than anyone else sitting in the car reading books :p
Sponsored