First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I spoke with a team member at the Austin event and he mentioned the ability to possibly take delivery of the R1T and R1S at the Normal facility and that you, the new owner, would install the final piece of the truck...also with the possibility of being able to customize it...

This pic I attached definitely looks like that piece. Nice touch!

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Launches New Website: Updated Prices, Launch Edition, Timing, Colors and More! 1605153340216
Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
For some of us this will be our first electric vehicle.... I know it is for me.... my issue is that in all my research I have found that you should not expect to get the rated range with the vehicle.... So 300 miles is really 220-240ish driving 75mph on the highway which is totally normal driving. I know it remains to be seen exactly what to expect in real highway range but I am not optimistic with my style of driving that the 300 mile pack will be suitable for me. I'd be fine waiting but they have not set any date for the R1S with the largest pack....

1973LT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Actually, it mostly isn't about the vehicle. It's about the company. All along they said they would underpromise and overdeliver.

Well, clearly the opposite is true. So, what else are they going to renege on? Service, chargers, insurance, financing, deliveries? Way more questions about the company today than there were yesterday.
I humbly disagree that it is clear that they have underdelivered. Judging them on a website where nobody has actually had the opportunity to have and use one doesn't seem fair. Also, we are talking about a completely new industry. As an old ICE wrencher this new electric vehicle thing is completely amazing to me. I fortunately invested in TSLA before it broke out. I did not invest on fundamentals or technical analysis. I invested because I believe that this should be the future. I would invest in Rivian if it went public solely base upon their vision.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Anyone know who/what technology they are using for Autopilot?
Cameras, Radar and an incredible FSD chip connected to a neural net.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
For some of us this will be our first electric vehicle.... I know it is for me.... my issue is that in all my research I have found that you should not expect to get the rated range with the vehicle.... So 300 miles is really 220-240ish driving 75mph on the highway which is totally normal driving. I know it remains to be seen exactly what to expect in real highway range but I am not optimistic with my style of driving that the 300 mile pack will be suitable for me. I'd be fine waiting but they have not set any date for the R1S with the largest pack....
This will be my 2nd full electric vehicle (gen 1 volt, 2 gen 2 volts, Honda clarity, and model x p90d) and yes, range anxiety is real. BUT, it very much depends on your driving style and keeping the speed down, which you don't notice as much in an ice where you can just stop and fill up at any exit you want.

That being said, the Tesla model x is only 300lbs or so lighter than the Rivian, and the claimed range on 100kwh pack is 374 miles. I don't believe that for a second if you're talking about running 75mph in 100* temps with the ac blasting, but easily over 300miles on a full charge. Given that the Rivian will have 35kwh more capacity, but slightly less aerodynamics and more rolling resistance, especially if you go for the off-road tires, I think 300 miles on a full charge is within the realm of possibility. Of course the proof is in the pudding, and we shall see in June/July when vehicles start getting shipped.

Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Also, lets consider here guys. The closest existing competitor, the model x, starts at $80k with 35kwh less battery pack and without fsd, or many of the other cool features Rivian is packing into the truck/suv. The base hummer at $80k, if it arrives in a few years, is downright dreadful compared to standard options in the cheaper Rivian.

For me, the only alternate vehicle I am considering is the Jeep Gladiator PHEV, as I want an adventure rig that I can daily (my commute is 18 miles round trip) without feeling terrible about it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I humbly disagree that it is clear that they have underdelivered.
Many put down $1000 in very large part because of the 180 kWh battery and promises of 400+ miles of range. To now be pushed another 6+ months after already waiting 2.5+ yrs is not going to be received well.

1973LT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I put $1k down to show my support for electric vehicles. It's not easy to be a startup against the established auto industry. To change the tide against ICE cars that are firmly established with the carbon fuels industry is monumental. If you need a historic reference go back and research why the USA's rail, urban transportation, and early electric car industries were basically eliminated by big oil interests.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
Cameras, Radar and an incredible FSD chip connected to a neural net.
Sorry, I meant who is developing it and/or whose technology are they incorporating into it? Mobileye? Or all Rivian built?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To change the tide against ICE cars that are firmly established with the carbon fuels industry is monumental.
To change the tide against ICE cars you need to offer a BEV that satisfies the needs of the consumer. The 180 kWh R1S is the only BEV vehicle remotely close to coming to market that meets my needs (Lucid Gravity is the only other distant possibility I'm even aware of at this point). I'm buying a vehicle that needs to support the transportation needs of my family. I'm not making a charitable donation here. Outside of Tesla, early BEVs have not been particularly well received because of pathetic range and a focus on compact sedans (even ICE sedans don't sell like they used to).

Sponsored

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thoughts on why they may not be releasing the 180kWh yet. The 180 is 133% more capacity over the 135. If that equated to x number of cells, for every 3 180s they could potentially build 4 135s. I assume Rivian is going wants to maximize their volume of until builds with their initial line up of sourced battery cells.

Also... I keep hearing people complain about over promising and under delivering. 1st, we've seen nothing but prototypes. Of course they are going to change. Even the Cybertruck is about to reveal design deltas. This is part of conceptualizing an entirely new product. Be realistic. 2nd, Rivian hasn't delivered anything yet so how can you say they have under delivered?

OP
OP
cohall

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Interesting that only White and Silver are standard colors. All others are an upcharge. Hopefully it’s a reasonable price.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I see no mention of the Tank Turn option in either truck trim. Whatsup ? Was that always just bait to draw interest ? Did I miss something ?

Chunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
I put $1k down to show my support for electric vehicles. It's not easy to be a startup against the established auto industry. To change the tide against ICE cars that are firmly established with the carbon fuels industry is monumental. If you need a historic reference go back and research why the USA's rail, urban transportation, and early electric car industries were basically eliminated by big oil interests.
Yeah, that’s a no from me, dawg. I put down money to buy a product, not to virtue signal or shake my fist at ICE. I get it if this is your issue but if when the full details comes out they underdeliver, I’m not going to be as happy as I hoped to be with the product.
Sponsored