Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Just wanted to point out that this isn't a thing. People seem to be confused and think the BBB bill was passed. It wasn't, so we are still under the old regime of no income limits. (assuming you are talking in the U.S.)
For now. Should they come back to the BBB bill and pass it before the 2023 tax year it will almost certainly apply retroactively to the 2022 tax year, as far as EV credits are concerned.

There was a long, long discussion about this on other forums and that was the consensus take.

Meaning there is a chance that people buying Rivians at the new price will miss out on the tax rebate. It's probably unlikely but it is a possibility. But you certainly shouldn't be buying a Rivian if you need the tax rebate to hit your budget.
Sponsored

eherlihy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Rivian's price hike has justified my decision NOT to place an order and become an unsecured creditor in exchange for the opportunity to buy their product in what ever configuration that they deem appropriate at some unknown future date and undisclosed future price. Sorry folks, I don't work that way.

I am still very interested in Rivian, and in particular the R1S. I like the direct to consumer sales model, the technology that I have seen demonstrated, and believe in BEV's. But I don't NEED an SUV (I already have a truck). Until their lead time is < 9 months, and until we (Rivian and I) can have a mutually agreed upon price, they will receive no deposit and I'll look at Lucid as well as other EVs (but NOT Tesla!).

Otisbrick

First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2015 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Physician

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I see what you mean but for $100-$110K there is Cayenne, BMW X5M, RRS, and array of other options that forces people to prove themselves into another bucket.

The uncertainty is also the issue where by 2024 who knows what else could happen.

This is not only about $1,000 this is also about people not purchasing anything else while they wait which has other implications.
This thread is moving quick, but I'll reply to this one.

I have an X5M and I can tell you a new one will easily be over $150K once optioned out. Unless you're looking at older ones, it is not comparable. RR SVR also priced very high. A comparable Cayenne (performance numbers) is also going to be in the $130-160K range at the minimum.

Apples to apples, the R1S (not the pickup) is priced well even with this 20% increase. Terrible news for buyers/reservation holders, but that's the reality of what you get for your money these days.

Sponsored

BoisVert

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck

I have an X5M and I can tell you a new one will easily be over $150K once optioned out. Unless you're looking at older ones, it is not comparable. RR SVR also priced very high. A comparable Cayenne (performance numbers) is also going to be in the $130-160K range at the minimum.

Apples to apples, the R1S (not the pickup) is priced well even with this 20% increase. Terrible news for buyers/reservation holders, but that's the reality of what you get for your money these days.
An X5M is $110K without Comp. Which is a hell of a car for the money.
A Cayenne GTS is about $120-$130K well-spec'ed.

Again, to clarify, it is not an argument if the Rivian is or is not worth $90K. That's not the essence of this thread.

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV

I would take an iX50 all day over a R1S. IDrive 8 is incredible. Build quality makes Rivian look like it’s made by my teenager. Not to mention network, etc. my BMW dealer treats me like a customer - unlike this BS from Rivian yesterday.

plugmein33

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT3, C4S, Raptor, Cayman, RS6, R1T.
Occupation
Trade
They are shooting themselves in the foot here on so many fronts. Who wants an unproven over the long term $100,000 pick up truck? I guess 50% of their original orders, maybe less. Max pack up 60% which is clearly an excuse to capture margin lost elsewhere. If their costs are really up that much they have no business making anything. The bad signs are piling up for the future viability of this company. Guess I'm fixing up my Raptor. Could probably electrify it for $20,000.

dpc166

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid
Rivian's price hike has justified my decision NOT to place an order and become an unsecured creditor in exchange for the opportunity to buy their product in what ever configuration that they deem appropriate at some unknown future date and undisclosed future price. Sorry folks, I don't work that way.

I am still very interested in Rivian, and in particular the R1S. I like the direct to consumer sales model, the technology that I have seen demonstrated, and believe in BEV's. But I don't NEED an SUV (I already have a truck). Until their lead time is < 9 months, and until we (Rivian and I) can have a mutually agreed upon price, they will receive no deposit and I'll look at Lucid as well as other EVs (but NOT Tesla!).
Kia's EV6 is looking nicer each day. I just saw they finally have a configurator on their site and the EV6 Wind AWD is a better deal than the Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL. Slightly more $ for the Kia, but the features make up for the cost. I'm really curious to see what pricing and features the Genesis GV60 has.

Sponsored

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney
The more I read this stuff, the more hurt I am. I’m not even angry. I am sad about losing the growing Rivian community that were fun to talk to, complain with. From the beginning, this company said it was about community. It just fire bombed that whole idea. Like I have said before, I will likely still buy the car, but I certainly will no longer be a “brand ambassador” and talk up the company. I buried my Rivian hat and t-shirts in my closet. Maybe I will get them out to sell on eBay if Rivian goes the way of Tucker..

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
I would take an iX50 all day over a R1S. IDrive 8 is incredible. Build quality makes Rivian look like it’s made by my teenager. Not to mention network, etc. my BMW dealer treats me like a customer - unlike this BS from Rivian yesterday.
Looking at the iX as well. While I don't like the front styling, the rest is not bad.

Range and size of the iX meet my minimum (range is better than the Rivian).
My spec on the iX comes out to about $93k, not much less than the Rivian, however, I am dealing with a mature/trusted brand.

Test drive at my Doylestown dealer is in March, unfortunately, deliveries are slated to start about 8 months from now - still way better than the R1S.

Oh yeah, just remembered that the iX supports Android Auto....so definitely worth the 93K now ;)

eherlihy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Kia's EV6 is looking nicer each day. I just saw they finally have a configurator on their site and the EV6 Wind AWD is a better deal than the Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL. Slightly more $ for the Kia, but the features make up for the cost. I'm really curious to see what pricing and features the Genesis GV60 has.
But the thought of having to deal with a Kia dealer :facepalm:?

RunnerRob73

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 VW Tiguan (R1S Reservation Holder)
Occupation
Software Sales
As our production continues to ramp up, we want to share new information that affects your Rivian preorder. 

Vehicle base pricing and the cost of certain options, upgrades and accessories have increased. All packages of the R1S will now only be offered in a 7-seat configuration.

We’re in the process of updating your Rivian Account page to reflect these adjustments and we will send you an email notification when the update is complete. Until then, all product and pricing updates can be viewed in our configurator.

These price increases — the result of inflationary pressure on the cost of supplier components and raw materials across the world — will allow us to maintain product excellence as we continue investing in electrification for our shared future. We remain committed to offering compelling products and helping drive competition, inspiring as many drivers as possible to switch to electric vehicles.

To that end, today we’re also announcing the introduction of Rivian Dual-Motor AWD for both R1T and R1S. Dual-Motor AWD features one motor for each axle for exceptional power and control. The system is designed to excel both off-road and on-road, going from 0-60 mph in as few as 4.0 seconds while still delivering all-wheel traction. Deliveries are planned to begin in 2024. We are also introducing our 260+ mile range Standard battery pack, with deliveries planned to begin in 2024.* Dual-Motor AWD and Standard battery pack are available now in our configurator, where you can find more information on each.

We’re grateful to you for being an early supporter of Rivian and helping drive the EV movement towards an enduring and livable world. If you have any questions about your preorder, we’re here to answer them.  

Thank you again for being on this journey with us.

— Team Rivian
While I can appreciate (and somewhat expected) that prices would increase due to prevailing economic conditions (raw material / chop shortages, supply chain issues, shipping issues, general inflation etc.), it's not like these materialized over night and there should have been much better customer relationship management and communications from Rivian over the past couple of years (or even the past 6 months) to prepare folks for this. As others have pointed out, I also would have expect that pre-orders would have seen a lesser price impact than new orders (and especially the LE folks who did their reservations a couple of years ago).

To be honest, and notwithstanding the sticker shock when seeing the revised pricing for my R1S configuration, I am more irritated of the removing of the 5 seat configuration option. I do not plan on using my R1S as an Uber nor driving a hockey or basketball team to practice so the 7 seat configuration is of no use to me. And while I expect the answer I will get from Rivian is that you can still fold the third row of seating down for additional storage, it still significantly reduces the cargo capacity as well as just looks clunky with leaving seats folded down that will never be used.
Sponsored