Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
IPTV65, that's a great article for which you provided a link. Should be read by all interested in Rivian.
Sponsored

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired
If this happens, I’m not sure if it would be good for Rivian or not. Opinions?
Brittain Ladd, a former Amazon executive who now runs his own consultancy, speculates that Amazon, facing tremending logistics pressure tied to skyrocketing e-commerce demand, will “seriously consider” acquiring Rivian.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, it takes two to tango and I'm pretty sure RJ doesn't want to dance and, as long as Rivian is a good partner to Amazon, there's no reason to acquire Rivian.

Amazon is better off with a highly motivated partner rather than a less well motivated, less energetic subsidiary it has to manage. We work harder when we're working for our own benefit. Amazon is already getting what it wants - a well managed firm with leading edge technology that's going balls to the walls to build the vehicles you need and want.

The only reason to acquire Rivian is if Rivian isn't meeting your needs, and you're willing to absorb the costs of taking over and managing another company to get what you want. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Rivian is dedicating an assembly line to Amazon vans, it's adding more square footage to the Normal plant, some of which is likely Amazon-specific in purpose, and Rivian and Amazon are undoubtedly working together on logistics and autonomous vehicle software.

We might have to wait a little longer to get our Rivian orders filled, but I doubt Amazon will. As long as Rivian is doing its upmost to satisfy Amazon's needs for energy efficient delivery and logistics, there's no reason to acquire Rivian. Indeed, doing so will likely reduce the value of Rivian to Amazon.

Last edited:

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Well, it takes two to tango and I'm pretty sure RJ doesn't want to dance and, as long as Rivian is a good partner to Amazon, there's no reason to acquire Rivian.

Amazon is better off with a highly motivated partner rather than a less well motivated, less energetic subsidiary it has to manage. We work harder when we're working for our own benefit. Amazon is already getting what it wants - a well managed firm with leading edge technology that's going balls to the walls to build the vehicles you need and want.

The only reason to acquire Rivian is if Rivian isn't meeting your needs, and you're willing to absorb the costs of taking over and managing another company to get what you want. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Rivian is dedicating an assembly line to Amazon vans, it's adding more square footage to the Normal plant, some of which is likely Amazon-specific in purpose, and Rivian and Amazon are undoubtedly working together on logistics and autonomous vehicle software.

We might have to wait a little longer to get our Rivian orders filled, but I doubt Amazon will. As long as Rivian is doing its upmost to satisfy Amazon's needs for energy efficient delivery and logistics, there's no reason to acquire Rivian. Indeed, doing so will likely reduce the value of Rivian to Amazon.
I don't disagree, but If they did do something I could see a scenario where they take "the skateboard" and do some custom assembly on top of that themselves. The skateboard is really the hard part(and not Amazon's forte). If you think about the modular/utilitarian nature of a delivery vehicle it's really just a rolling metal box on the skateboard.

Think about all the bed-less Ford and Chevy trucks(their skateboards for comparison purposes) sitting on lots waiting to have a custom back end put on them. That is most aways 3rd party work to fit it to specialized commercial applications.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know exactly where but your thoughts, IPTV65, have been echoed in other threads and posts on this forum.

The commercial truck market, both for hauling goods and people, is huge and it wouldn't take a lot of design and engineering to redo the Amazon van top hats for other purposes. And, as pointed out elsewhere, quite a few adventure seekers would like to customize a Rivian van for their own needs or buy one that's been already fitted with slide-out kitchens and live-in accommodations.

I think it's more of a branding issue than anything else. Do you do everything under one brand and run the risk of diluting the brand's appeal or do you develop a number of related but different brands, such as Rivian Adventure, Rivian Commercial and Rivian Custom? I don't know but Rivian will likely be facing this issue in a few years down the road.

Sponsored

jacobh

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.besustainable.com
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Model X
Occupation
Web Design + Development
That amazing! The rate that Rivian should be able to produce + deliver later this year/early 2021 will be incredible. Can't wait to see these on the roads.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Anyone see Amazon’s latest commercial? It mentions going net zero carbon by 2040 and says right after that they have ordered 100,000 electric vehicles. All that was missing was the name Rivian haha

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone see Amazon’s latest commercial? It mentions going net zero carbon by 2040 and says right after that they have ordered 100,000 electric vehicles. All that was missing was the name Rivian haha
There is yet another new commercial stating Amazon is already testing electric delivery vans in San Diego, but these are Fords, not Rivians. After seeing the commercial I found this article.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/1488...ic-delivery-trucks-and-theyre-not-from-rivian

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

In May, when RIVN was below $30, Soros bought call options for about 6 Million Shares. Looks to me like he's taking some short term profits. He still has about 17.8M shares.

https://observer.com/2022/05/george-soros-invest-electric-vehicle-stock-rivian-nio-lucid/

The Soros fund also increased its stake in electric truck maker Rivian and purchased a block of call options that could be converted into roughly 6 million Rivian shares. The filing didn’t specify the price at which Soros has agreed to exercise those options or the contract’s expiration date.
Sponsored