Sponsored

CNBC: Bill Ford is doubling down on Ford shares, and quietly amassing more control

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Posting this CNBC article since Ford has a significant investment in Rivian and is a competitor in the EV Truck market, and people here holding Lightning Reservations.

“I just feel like we are very well positioned to deliver superior shareholder returns and I for one wanted to be a big part of that,” Ford told CNBC. “I think in many ways we have an opportunity to create the most value for shareholders since the scaling of the Model T.”

“The Mach-E and the Lightning, both their order banks just overwhelmed us,” Ford said. “We’re on this electrification journey, but it’s more than that. It’s connecting to the customer, it’s all the services that will be developed around electrification.”
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
While many may not like Ford, they have a bit of a grand slam going with the Bronco, Maverick, Ford Lightning, Mach E. Feels like a Bronco EV is imminent. Add the foundation of perennial best selling F150.

Their volume production capabilities and financials are solid, and they did not blink much when pursuing EV. Ford is looking formidable.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

As a Ford shareholder, I approve.
As a Rivian shareholder, and future vehicles owner, I'm hopeful that Rivian gets their shit together and gets ramped up so I can get my R1T before my lightning reservation has to be finalized.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Add the foundation of perennial best selling F150.
For the last 8 years Silverado + Sierra outsold F-150 in retail sales.

Ford made up the difference with low margin fleet sales.

Last year Silverado + Sierra outsold F-150 overall. Including fleet sales.

And when it comes to full size body on frame SUVs GM b!tchslaps Ford from sea to shining sea. GM had over 50% market share overall including Range Rover, BMW X7, MB GLS etc.

Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
For the last 8 years Silverado + Sierra outsold F-150 in retail sales.

Ford made up the difference with low margin fleet sales.

Last year Silverado + Sierra outsold F-150 overall. Including fleet sales.

And when it comes to full size body on frame SUVs GM b!tchslaps Ford from sea to shining sea. GM had over 50% market share overall including Range Rover, BMW X7, MB GLS etc.
Quick question. Why do you split them out? Never followed Chevy and I won’t go into flame wars of Ford Dodge Chevy. I’m not doubting your #s just found it odd that it’s split out.

Full Disclosure; Yes grew up a ford guy. My family member is paid $100k+ to run Raptors and prototype sh!t through corn fields.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Does Ford still have a stake in Rivian? I thought Ford removed their "share" after Rivian went public, announced the new Lincoln BEV would not be based on the Rivian skateboard and Ford withdrew a member from Rivian board?

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Does Ford still have a stake in Rivian? I thought Ford removed their "share" after Rivian went public, announced the new Lincoln BEV would not be based on the Rivian skateboard and Ford withdrew a member from Rivian board?
Ford has a 12% stake in Rivian worth billions. They vacated their seat on the board when Rivian went public. Some people had a "doom and gloom" reaction to that, but the reality is that when Rivian went public, it was simply a business ethics best practice to avoid any conflicts of interest. They are not using the Rivian skateboard. Why would they at this point? Rivian is waaay backordered, and Ford has realized they need to move aggressively to be a serious contender in the EV market.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
@Rob Stark, as stated, some may not like Ford. I happened to own a GMC Sierra 6.2L with heavy tow package as I did not care for the recent gen aluminum and Ecoboost F150 tow manners. Hopefully, the RS1 replaces my Sierra, including for towing loads.

That said, Ford's accomplishments are material and their going concern value is appreciating, and not by accident.

As stated above, another advantage they seized due to their own aggressive actions is gaining an early stake in Rivian which has already yielded Ford tremendous financial and intellectual capital. This includes some $10B in value and deep technological and operational EV learned knowledge. Ford also outflanked GM in this Rivian early stake.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Quick question. Why do you split them out? Never followed Chevy and I won’t go into flame wars of Ford Dodge Chevy. I’m not doubting your #s just found it odd that it’s split out.

Full Disclosure; Yes grew up a ford guy. My family member is paid $100k+ to run Raptors and prototype sh!t through corn fields.
A quick googling will show several places reporting on the numbers.

I split them out because it is easy or at least easier to pursue volume and sales crowns if you are willing to sell to fleets at low margin.

GM did this for years selling Malibus and Cruz to rental fleets.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
A quick googling will show several places reporting on the numbers.

I split them out because it is easy or at least easier to pursue volume and sales crowns if you are willing to sell to fleets at low margin.

GM did this for years selling Malibus and Cruz to rental fleets.
Right, and the financial markets and industry analysts tend to look at fleet sales separately from consumer sales just for this reason. Low margin fleet sales can be indicative of success, or struggles.
Sponsored