First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There is a observatory in Hard Labor Creek State Park. Just read that it may shut down bc of the lights from this monstrosity.
Without an online reference to this, I am going to assume it's a random social media post making this claim, not an official post from the Observatory. I went to their Facebook page, they have been closed since COVID and have not posted anything since June 7, 2021.

If you are really concerned, you have an opportunity influence this. Your town may or may not have a "Dark Skies" requirement in the zoning/building code. You *could* investigate this, and advocate adopting such an ordinance. You *could* contact Rivian and ask them to use "Dark Skies" lighting fixtures. You *could* join the International Dark Skies Association and educate Rivian about the importance of Dark Skies, and with their Mission Statement, it's likely that they would use (or maybe already are planning to use) Dark Sky approved lighting.

You *could* do all these things to influence the outcome, I've provided links to the resources above, but will you?
Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
I assume our new...uh....friends....are a result of your newfound celebrity. Perhaps you can use this nascent status to influence RJ into relocating his massive influx of revenue and jobs to another state that actually wants them there.
I get what you’re saying in truth. And honestly, I would take that factory in a heart beat in my suburbs for the reasons you stated.
But people do live in rural areas so they can have a rural life. They’d really prefer not to have outsiders coming to their community. There’s nothing wrong with that.
Unfortunately, their town/city council was elected by their community. The council passed this motion as far as I can tell. Outside of that, I’d really wish @Ann and @MorganCo to honestly be open to this Rivian company and what they brought to the Normal IL community. After having an open mind!!!!!!! You still don’t agree, speak to your mind with facts and numbers that back up your view point. Do not use stories about others.

Trust me, I know many a community in old coal/steel/auto Pennsylvania that would LOVE these jobs and upgrades to their community.

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I assume our new...uh....friends....are a result of your newfound celebrity. Perhaps you can use this nascent status to influence RJ into relocating his massive influx of revenue and jobs to another state that actually wants them there.
My man, if I had any influence at all, I’d be begging them to come to Pennsylvania. I think the commonwealth is fertile ground for a company like Rivian.

Locating outside of Pittsburgh, gives them ample access to a major and under-utilized international airport, with rail infrastructure and a blue collar workforce that born and bred for manufacturing work. Add to that Close proximity to PITT and Carnegie Mellon which is an academic leader in self driving technology and computer science, and convenient access to virtually every major interstate corridor leading to major east coast cities (Philly, Baltimore, DC, NYC) which mostly have access to major port facilities, and it no doubt butters bread in a state legislature that is on the take of the auto dealers’ associations.

RJ feel free to reach out. I’m a successful entrepreneur myself, with over decade of professional communications experience. I’ll happily accept senior vp of communications. Give me a call.

Last edited:

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
My man, if I had any influence at all, I’d be begging them to come to Pennsylvania. I think the commonwealth is fertile ground for a company like Rivian.

Locating outside of Pittsburgh, gives them ample access to a major and under-utilized international airport, with rail infrastructure and a blue collar workforce that born and bred for manufacturing work. Add to that Close proximity to PITT and Carnegie Mellon which is an academic leader in self driving technology and computer science, and convenient access to virtually every major interstate corridor leading to major east coast cities (Philly, Baltimore, DC, NYC), and it no doubt butters bread in a state legislature that is on the take of the auto dealers’ associations.

RJ feel free to reach out. I’m a successful entrepreneur myself, with over decade of professional communications experience. I’ll happily accept senior vp of communications. Give me a call.
Dude this times 1000000000. I’m outside Philly but so right! Let’s get some of these jobs please! PITT is a sweet tech hub with blue collar talent coming out their ears.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I get what you’re saying in truth. And honestly, I would take that factory in a heart beat in my suburbs for the reasons you stated.
But people do live in rural areas so they can have a rural life. They’d really prefer not to have outsiders coming to their community. There’s nothing wrong with that.
Unfortunately, their town/city council was elected by their community. The council passed this motion as far as I can tell. Outside of that, I’d really wish @Ann and @MorganCo to honestly be open to this Rivian company and what they brought to the Normal IL community. After having an open mind!!!!!!! You still don’t agree, speak to your mind with facts and numbers that back up your view point. Do not use stories about others.

Trust me, I know many a community in old coal/steel/auto Pennsylvania that would LOVE these jobs and upgrades to their community.
My in laws live in Fort Worth and were thrilled when it looked like that was the frontrunner.

I absolutely understand people wanting to protect their way of life, and can certainly relate to not wanting something like this in your back yard but that's what local government is for. If the local government approves everything and the land was sold in good faith, it is what it is. Regardless of that, this certainly isn't the venue for an airing of grievances (or at least those grievances, if they want to complain about AA/CP or cupholders this is absolutely the venue).

Sponsored

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
My in laws live in Fort Worth and were thrilled when it looked like that was the frontrunner.

I absolutely understand people wanting to protect their way of life, and can certainly relate to not wanting something like this in your back yard but that's what local government is for. If the local government approves everything and the land was sold in good faith, it is what it is. Regardless of that, this certainly isn't the venue for an airing of grievances (or at least those grievances, if they want to complain about AA/CP or cupholders this is absolutely the venue).
You raise an interesting suggestion. If the locals are going to treat us to their airing of grievances, maybe we should participate in all the virtual town halls and complain about the cupholders and lack of CarPlay? It just seems so elegant.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation

FWIW the new Fisker Ocean first edition has 8 cup holders in a five seater. Dividing by new math, we are over paying for an R1T by $1,130/cup holder. If we are only pricing by cup holders and nothing else.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Won't be SC, not with our government.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Won't be SC, not with our government.
Certainly not with Volvo having just moved in. The labor force doesn't exist to support Boeing, Volvo, and another 7k employees in the Lowcountry and the upstate can't support BMW, Michelin, and another.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Without an online reference to this, I am going to assume it's a random social media post making this claim, not an official post from the Observatory. I went to their Facebook page, they have been closed since COVID and have not posted anything since June 7, 2021.

If you are really concerned, you have an opportunity influence this. Your town may or may not have a "Dark Skies" requirement in the zoning/building code. You *could* investigate this, and advocate adopting such an ordinance. You *could* contact Rivian and ask them to use "Dark Skies" lighting fixtures. You *could* join the International Dark Skies Association and educate Rivian about the importance of Dark Skies, and with their Mission Statement, it's likely that they would use (or maybe already are planning to use) Dark Sky approved lighting.

You *could* do all these things to influence the outcome, I've provided links to the resources above, but will you?
To your point, Dark Sky is mentioned several times in the site plan notes - definitely fits their ethos.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Darling; even if you’re right (which I doubt you are), I’ve got some news for you, complaining about it on the internet isn’t going to solve your problem.

The only way you can save yourself from the fluorinated city water that contains nano tech microchips that’ll track you, is by working in good faith with Rivian and your local leaders.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Certainly not with Volvo having just moved in. The labor force doesn't exist to support Boeing, Volvo, and another 7k employees in the Lowcountry and the upstate can't support BMW, Michelin, and another.
Honestly, I've been a bit annoyed the a couple of Cities in the Puget Sound haven't tried to pull in a plant with Boeing reducing it's footprint here.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Darling; even if you’re right (which I doubt you are), I’ve got some news for you, complaining about it on the internet isn’t going to solve your problem.
More specifically, complaining to this audience on the Internet isn't going to do anything. None of us work for Rivian. None of us to my knowledge have any influence over the state or local government that will approve the permits. We're just a bunch of fanbois complaining about cupholders, wells in North Georgia are not of consequence here.

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Honestly, I've been a bit annoyed the a couple of Cities in the Puget Sound haven't tried to pull in a plant with Boeing reducing it's footprint here.
More specifically, complaining to this audience on the Internet isn't going to do anything. None of us work for Rivian. None of us to my knowledge have any influence over the state or local government that will approve the permits. We're just a bunch of fanbois complaining about cupholders, wells in North Georgia are not of consequence here.
Unless that water can’t be held in our Rivian’s for lack of cupholders.
Sponsored