mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Wow - thanks for sharing. Very cool to see. I currently use a tesla supercharger one exit to the east of here during road trips to Athens, so this will be an easy stop for me.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Anyone overlay the FEMA flood zone risk?
Also wonder about hurricane hazard. (Here in Illinois we just worry 'bout tornadoes, currently....?)
It is marked in the pdf.

As far as hurricanes go, ATL is pretty far inland. The main issue would be flooding from extensive rainfall if a storm stalls over the area, like Harvey did to Houston.

SE side has water retention zones, hopefully they will design enough to account for that.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Those buildings are absolutely HUGE. 3-4 Million square feet for several of them, and a total of almost 20 million square feet under roof. Thats almost a square mile! Buildout will take probably 18-24 months minimum.
Boy, I would love to be on that job.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Anyone overlay the FEMA flood zone risk?
Also wonder about hurricane hazard. (Here in Illinois we just worry 'bout tornadoes, currently....?)
Tornadoes are far more likely to be a problem for that part of GA than hurricanes. That far inland, the damage from hurricanes comes from flash flooding and tornadoes that sometimes occur in the feeder bands--not especially damaging, usually. Your first question is the most important one: flood zone risk, which effectively includes "hurricane" risk.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
FWIW, as long as they don't completely botch their stormwater systems, they won't have flooding concerns. Here's the latest USGS topographic map for the area:

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#15/33.6140/-83.6859

Note that the larger creeks and the flood zones shown on the site plan are tens of feet below grade for where their buildings will be. It's a hilly area, like a lot of north Georgia, and they've clearly laid out the plan to be on the uphill parts of the site.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It is marked in the pdf.

As far as hurricanes go, ATL is pretty far inland. The main issue would be flooding from extensive rainfall if a storm stalls over the area, like Harvey did to Houston.

SE side has water retention zones, hopefully they will design enough to account for that.
They have to file a NPDES Stormwater Management plan before they can turn one shovel of dirt, and it will be reviewed and approved by local and/or state authorities. For every square foot of "impermeable surface" they create (buildings, parking lots, roads, etc.) they have to provide on-site retention/management for that run-off. In projects that I have been involved with, that means enough retention for a once every 100 years megastorm. The Retention Ponds will be the first thing built.

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
My initial reaction to the plan is: wow, there are homes in the rural area that in 2 years will have a 75' wall in their backyard. I of course have no idea what that region is like, but talk about throwing shade on someone!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

My initial reaction to the plan is: wow, there are homes in the rural area that in 2 years will have a 75' wall in their backyard. I of course have no idea what that region is like, but talk about throwing shade on someone!
I don't think many of the homes are close enough to feel like there will be a 75' wall in the backyard. Many of the homes south of 278 have some pretty dense tree cover at the rear of their lots that will shield them from Rivian's property. There are houses on Darel Dr. that will face the factory, but several of them will be buffered by the planned off-road/adventure trail and test track. The overall property is far larger than it appears in the PDF (try to make out one of the house's driveways to picture the scale relative to a car) so the building setbacks from the property line, especially the north/northwest side of the property is large.

It looks like anyone living on Old Mill Road on the east side of the property will have the worst of it, but it also appears that there are very few homes on that side. They will probably be closest to the 100' "minimum" setback distance.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
In a state that still limits their ability to sell direct there. ?‍♂

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I’m sorry that you feel that way. But nothing, about this project is as you describe it, nor is this the place for you to advocate against it.

if you are that concerned, I’d advise you to work constructively with Rivian to provide oversight of their presence, and advise them on how they can speak to your concerns.

Nobody is going to find it remotely plausible that a company who’s entire existence is predicated on coexisting with nature and environmental protection is going to destroy the environment.

…and people on this forum have been talking about Rivian locating there for months. Not sure why you or your neighbors thinks it was such a secret.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer