Sponsored

Article: Tesla's Cybertruck May Not Actually Happen

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm just looking at history. This fits the track record of the semi, Solar City, the Vegas Loop, Starship, and countless other broken promises.

But sure, this time will be different.
Exactly. Don't forget battery swap stations and robot taxis.

Cyber Truck is only a concept car. As is the new roadster. They have no production plans for either at the moment. It's amazing how commenters and journalists keep comparing the Cybertruck concept car to the Rivian and the Lightning as if they are all going to be on the road together next year. It's ridiculous.

Rivian already won the race to get an electric truck on the road and Ford is going to produce 100,000 Lightnings before any cyber truck goes to a customer ... if it ever does.
Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
The thing is: eventually, we will see (some) Johnny Cabs out 'n' about. Battery swaps - I'm still not convinced this will work in the U.S. considering how things are ran here and how competitive each vehicle manufacturer is.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

OP
OP
ChrissyOne

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
There is another big glaring hole in all the "robotaxi" plans that I've seen. Where are they going to put them, and who's going to clean them?

Uber says half their costs are to pay the drivers, but the drivers also store and clean their own cars. So to replace them, Uber will need real estate with charging infrastructure in place, and to hire a cleaning and maintenance crew to keep them on the road. This will not come without a cost.

Can you imagine what the inside of a driverless taxi will look like after one night taking people home from bars? People will literally take a sh•t in these things. And what happens when the taxi comes to pick you up and there's a dude passed out in the back? For that matter, how will the car physically eject someone who can't or won't leave?

I just don't see robotaxis as a magical panacea to the traffic problem. And despite what Musk and Tesla say, that's not what they're trying to solve. They already have traffic jams in their dumb tubes. The point of this is not to solve traffic, it's to sell Teslas. If they wanted to solve traffic, they'd build effing trains.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
There is another big glaring hole in all the "robotaxi" plans that I've seen. Where are they going to put them, and who's going to clean then?

Uber says half their costs are to pay the drivers, but the drivers also store and clean their own cars. So to replace them, Uber will need real estate with charging infrastructure in place, and to hire cleaning and maintain crews to keep them on the road. This will not come without a cost.

Can you imagine what the inside of a driverless taxi will look like after one night taking people home from bars? People will literally take a sh•t in these things. And what happens when the taxi comes to pick you up and there's a dude passed out in the back? For that matter, how will the car physically eject someone who can't or won't leave?

I just don't see robotaxis as a magical panacea to the traffic problem. And despite what Musk and Tesla say, that's not what they're trying to solve. They already have traffic jams in their dumb tubes. The point of this is not to solve traffic, it's to sell Teslas. If they wanted to solve traffic, they'd build effing trains.
spot on.

the best thing that could happen to Tesla is a new CEO who would be savvy enough to build the company on the backs of the model 3 and Model Y - the iPhone and iPhone plus of the EV world. Getting to the model 3 was an incredible accomplishment that changed the auto industry but at this point everything Musk promotes is counter to the core fundamental strengths of what Tesla has built.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Robotaxis, like the current ride-sharing model, will make traffic WORSE in most cities because there will be a lot of empty trips to pick up passengers. There are societal benefits to robotaxis, but less traffic is definitely not one of them!

And yeah, the Boring Company tubes are stupid. If Elon really wanted to help the modern world by "solving" the tunnel boring problem, he should have focused on making boring cheaper and faster for traditional infrastructure like water and sewer, subways, trains and roads through mountains, etc. rather than the hare-brained idea of tunnels for individual cars. Induced demand is real, so there will always be a constant need for increased road capacity unless we start shifting trips away from individual cars.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

For that matter, how will the car physically eject someone who can't or won't leave?
Unruly passenger detected. Updating route to nearest police station. Have a nice day!

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
T
It was reported on multiple news sites that Tesla wiped any reference to a delivery year/timeframe from the Cybertruck page. That's the news. Journalists then drawing their own conclusions is the click bait. But Tesla did scrub their site of any date.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/13/22881646/tesla-cybertruck-production-date-2022-removed-website

https://gizmodo.com/tesla-removes-promise-of-2022-production-on-cybertruck-1848350853

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tesla-cybertruck-delayed-2022.html
Tesla can't deliver for the $39,999.00 price. No Message different than the price for the people's car ev model 3 at $35,000.00. Like fsd, the cybertruck is a cash cow for the company as they do not have to deliver one.

Reactions: Guy

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
I think it will happen, but it will be a really slow ramp up, maybe a few hundred this year, or early next year. I’m also concerned about the quality of the vehicle, it just doesn’t look very nice on the interior or exterior, and knowing their track record they’re definitely going to cut corners to make it happen. I hope they come out with something and it’s a great product though, but my hopes are very high
There definitely won't be any Cybertrucks this year (at least for customers). 2 years ago I thought there would be some by now, but Tesla has a lot going on and I don't know how long it will take to get enough 4680 batteries, plus the manufacturing of a brand new stainless steel model is not completely worked out.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Two Gigapresses were delivered to the Texas facility last week. The article states that they might be for the Model Y but suggest that they are for the CyberTruck. It will take at least 6 months to install, commission, startup and fine tune these machines to get them into production.

If this article is accurate, CyberTruck is not going to ship in any volume until 2023.... if ever.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Two Gigapresses were delivered to the Texas facility last week. The article states that they might be for the Model Y but suggest that they are for the CyberTruck. It will take at least 6 months to install, commission, startup and fine tune these machines to get them into production.

If this article is accurate, CyberTruck is not going to ship in any volume until 2023.... if ever.
They're also redesigning it, including making a smaller version that is along the lines of a Maverick to Ranger size.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Didn't they already have two gigapresses for the Model Y? An article today suggests Tesla has started pre-production of the Y at Austin.
https://insideevs.com/news/561542/batch-tesla-modely-giga-austin/

I totally agree with you on the CT. Sometime in 2023. I guess we'll know more next week.

OP
OP
ChrissyOne

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
So not to beat a dead horse here... but the big Cybertruck update we were waiting for today was:

"Awesome!" ???

Wow, boy look at the egg on my face.... :rolleyes: