First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I haven't measured any of mine, but I also don't intend on using a highroller style mount over the bed. I'm suspecting that anything longer than a medium hardtail may not fit in this configuration.
Should fit basically any bike that isn't a tandem or some sort of utility e bike. An all mountain full suspension 29er should have room to spare.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Should fit basically any bike that isn't a tandem or some sort of utility e bike. An all mountain full suspension 29er should have room to spare.
My all mountain full suspension 27.5+ is nearly a half a foot too long according to their specs.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
My all mountain full suspension 27.5+ is nearly a half a foot too long according to their specs.
Hmm, maybe I messed up my calculations. Was basing it off a Pivot Switchblade, but extrapolated from wheelbase.

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more it bums me out.

It’s sad that this is a design feature that they are touting for their adventure rig, but a lot of people won’t be able to use it.

I am barely 6’ tall. My gravel bike is only a 56cm and it might fit or it might not. My HT won’t fit because it has a longer wheel base due to its slack head tube. This is the way of a lot of trail bikes.

Sure, I could open the tonneau cover and hang a wheel over the tail gate, but that sucks to have to open the tonneau cover every time I want to drive to a ride. And what if I am on a trip and have stuff stored in the bed.

A hitch rack is fine, but makes the truck even longer and you either have to keep it on or take it in and off when you want to ride.

Is what it is and I will either deal with it or move to the R1S.
Yeah, oddly the R1S is a much better cycling support vehicle - as there is plenty of room to just keep the seats folded and slide the bike inside - all wheels still in place. The R1T certainly looks the part of a great Mountain biking vehicle - but in reality its tiny bed dimensions make it hard to use for transporting bikes other then using a tailgate pad. A hitch rack is a pain as it is in the way of bed access and might prevent pulling into your garage and closing the garage door due to overall length. I have thought about transporting my mountain bikes upright (see pic) like Motocross bikes, using tie downs to secure them. Only problem is the tailgate would have to be left open while driving. But given all of the other storage areas - frunk, back seat, gear tunnel, etc... I think loose items could be stored elsewhere and gear guard cable would work great.

Rivian R1T R1S Can your bike be mounted over the R1T bed? [Bike Fitment Guide] ridgelin

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My 26” wheel’s downhill bike is similarly too long. 64 degree head tube has that effect.

These racks thst hold the front wheel simply aren’t designed with this application in mind. They presume roof mounting, so there’s space for the wheel clamp to swing. And most of them have the wheel clamp integrated into a brackef with the mounting point - it’s the rear mount that moves around to accommodate dofferent crossbar spreads. If one of the rack companies made a more adjustable rack of this design, longer bikes could fit.
old fashioned fork mount racks would be able to handle longer bikes, pointing forward. But taking off a wheel is annoying.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Im stuck with the hitch rack myself… my Bronson is an XL and a 27.5. Not keen to throw it over the tailgate, but also not interested in disassembling it to put it under the tonneau. I have the hitch mounted Thule which like many folds out of the way, but it does add about 18” more to truck length when folded up

Last edited:

Godawgs

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Equinox; Toyota 4Runner
Somebody on Rivian Stories mentioned that they’d taken bed measurements (from brackets as well) from a First Mile event and thought you could fit the 1Up Roof Rack with Flush Mounts so I’m planning on trying a pair of those. My road bikes will fit fine with just about any rack but I’ve got an XL Chromag Primer and SC 5010 that need a solution. ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Somebody on Rivian Stories mentioned that they’d taken bed measurements (from brackets as well) from a First Mile event and thought you could fit the 1Up Roof Rack with Flush Mounts so I’m planning on trying a pair of those. My road bikes will fit fine with just about any rack but I’ve got an XL Chromag Primer and SC 5010 that need a solution. ?
Mmmm chromag. And one welded by Chris Dekerf, even. So good.

the oneup racks are real nice. I think they’d work over the bed, since you can slide the rack far enough.

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For me, bike transport became a moot point at 4pm CST yesterday. Huge price increase - I am bailing. Ram1500 limited ecodiesel, Honda Ridgeline, or BMW iX50 are all in the running now.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For me, bike transport became a mute point at 4pm CST yesterday. Huge price increase - I am bailing. Ram1500 limited ecodiesel, honda Ridgeline, or BMW iX50 are all in the running now.
Moot point. Although that’s one of my favourite eggcorns.
hopedully you’ve checked your email since.

Sponsored

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moot point. Although that’s one of my favourite eggcorns.
hopedully you’ve checked your email since.
yeah, sloppy keyboarding on my part... and I am glad people call it out. I think my head was swirling with the disappointing news - I was livid given I had been patient for more than 3 years, told I would get my truck in April/May, and then got the bad news email.
Anyhow, glad to be back in the game.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
The bike mounts Rivian is offering are not the only options out there. I saw a post the other day with bikes over the bed of an R1T, one of which being the same Santa Cruz 29er my wife has, that were riding just fine. Different mount that removes the front wheels instead of trying to accommodate them. ...plenty of room. I need to go track that down and see what bike mounts they're using.

Although I have a Thule hitch mount rack that can hold either 2 or 4 bikes or be a cargo platform. I'll probably still use that a bunch depending on what I want in the bed.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yeah, sloppy keyboarding on my part... and I am glad people call it out. I think my head was swirling with the disappointing news - I was livid given I had been patient for more than 3 years, told I would get my truck in April/May, and then got the bad news email.
Anyhow, glad to be back in the game.
Bring it up to Winnipeg, if it’s coming that soon. ?
I buy you a (beverage of choice)

The bike mounts Rivian is offering are not the only options out there. I saw a post the other day with bikes over the bed of an R1T, one of which being the same Santa Cruz 29er my wife has, that were riding just fine. Different mount that removes the front wheels instead of trying to accommodate them. ...plenty of room. I need to go track that down and see what bike mounts they're using.

Although I have a Thule hitch mount rack that can hold either 2 or 4 bikes or be a cargo platform. I'll probably still use that a bunch depending on what I want in the bed.
1upUSA is one of the few that will work for longer bikes, because the attachment points are independent of the clamping mechanisms for the bike.
Sponsored