kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

That video gives me trepidation more than stoke. Multiple shots of the car in a garage with wrenches and chipped up paint with shocks as well as the driver talking about getting bounced around on washboard roads. My Range Rover floats like a cloud over washboard roads. I know its a prototype but I damn sure don't want to see videos of a new truck getting worked on. Hopefully there will be some independent test drive reviews of production units before we have to commit to ordering
My time working as a Land Rover North America Mechanical Engineer you have to understand that they took one of their prototype vehicles across a Journey that most Brand New Off Road Capable vehicles would be tough making. The Mechanics and the tools are all there to ensure the vehicle could make the journey but also they used it as a research project to see what is a good configuration for things like compression/rebound rates on the suspension off road. I am guessing they may have not had full Air suspension on their prototype vehicle. If they did they used the trip to decide which rates are good with controllers etc.

There is way more to this whole exercise than just seeing how a prototype vehicle would and could do imho.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I meant from the charging port.
Ah, cool. RJ has also mentioned charging Rivian to Rivian like that so, while it hasn't been publicly discussed before, Rivian to Harley should really be no different.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
My time working as a Land Rover North America Mechanical Engineer you have to understand that they took one of their prototype vehicles across a Journey that most Brand New Off Road Capable vehicles would be tough making. The Mechanics and the tools are all there to ensure the vehicle could make the journey but also they used it as a research project to see what is a good configuration for things like compression/rebound rates on the suspension off road. I am guessing they may have not had full Air suspension on their prototype vehicle. If they did they used the trip to decide which rates are good with controllers etc.

There is way more to this whole exercise than just seeing how a prototype vehicle would and could do imho.
Agree, they did this trip last year with very early prototypes. The trucks were used as backup for the Harley bikes. Personally that video gave me more confidence on the truck specially since they went through a bunch of sand and hot/cold Temps.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
If nothing else, the South and Central America trip was great PR for Rivian. Now on Apple +.

But, as kanundrum says, this journey was a terrific opportunity to test compression/rebound rates, four wheel drive performance, electronic sensors, controls and systems. There were two R1Ts, so comparative data will have been generated, even if the vehicles were prototypes. All of that gets fed back home to various vehicle development programs.

I can't see Long Way Up as anything else but pure gold for Rivian.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Thanks for the link, @Godawgs.

These are the kinds of lessons I'm very glad they're able to learn before the vehicles reach us.

The company learned a lot about the little things that can happen in the field from the experience—from bad 12-volt battery connections, frayed steel braided cables snaking through the suspension—and what it's actually like to service the trucks under severe conditions.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Thanks for the link, @Godawgs.

These are the kinds of lessons I'm very glad they're able to learn before the vehicles reach us.
Another thing Charles told me at Fully Charged Live was skid/component protection. They planned for protection when moving forward, but had an incident when rolling back into something.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
Too bad they didn't have closer to the production suspension. If anyone has traveled the roads in some of those south and central American countries you know how they could really let you know what you might want to make better. I am sure they still learned a lot.
I would like to see what kind of charging network they made on their way. Has to be kind of funky like putting in a special outlet real fast in the front of an old store somewhere in a small town with the whole town gawking at you. There is no doubt though that some guys will retrace that journey when they get their vehicles and make a Youtube out of it. This company is sure doing some smart associating with groups that promote its image. Nice job.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Too bad they didn't have closer to the production suspension. If anyone has traveled the roads in some of those south and central American countries you know how they could really let you know what you might want to make better. I am sure they still learned a lot.
I would like to see what kind of charging network they made on their way. Has to be kind of funky like putting in a special outlet real fast in the front of an old store somewhere in a small town with the whole town gawking at you. There is no doubt though that some guys will retrace that journey when they get their vehicles and make a Youtube out of it. This company is sure doing some smart associating with groups that promote its image. Nice job.
I've read somewhere that they added lvl2 charging Some of them were removed, but the majority stayed.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Wish that trailer had more Rivian. Seemed to be just about the bikes

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Wish that trailer had more Rivian. Seemed to be just about the bikes
The show is primarily about the 2 guys and their trip on the bikes. Support equipment will get some camera time but won't be featured per-se.
Sponsored