Sponsored

Anyone buying the $500 Rivian Wall Charger?

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I have a Juicebox 40 for my Ford C-Max energia. The charger has a terrible wifi subsystem. It will periodically drop off my home wifi for weeks at a time, then spontaneously rejoin weeks later. Unplugging the charger and then re-configuring the wifi interface every time is just ridiculous. I had purchased it last year to take advantage of the tax break on the charger and electrician's installation of the Nema plug, but should have chosen a different vendor

Juicebox support suggested adding a wifi-extender, which didn't change the behavior. And yet the Rachio wifi-sprinkler controller 2 feet away never drops offline. So I can't recommend Juicebox.

I would like to know if the Rivian charger has V2H capabilities at $500 when the ClipperCreek is priced at $329.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
$500 is about an order of magnitude low for V2H (see WallBox Quasar).

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Reply from ClipperCreek about Rivian support:

Thank you for reaching out.
We have not added the Rivian Vehicles to our vehicle selector tool yet, but will be adding them once all information is available.

If you have any questions about charging for the Rivian vehicles I am more than happy to assist.

ClipperCreek, Inc.
Innovative Infrastructure for
Electric and Hybrid Vehicles

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
When I was at the first mile, I specifically asked why the Rivian wall charger was better than the standard charger it came with. She said the Rivian wall charger has wifi capabilities so that you can control the charger with your app or wifi home system where the standard charger you would just plug in and go. The wall charger can be set to only charge at certain times, say off-peak hours for us in lame CA so that your charging costs the least possible. As far as the charging speeds, I think either is the same but based on your electrical supply. Anything less than 60A will charger slower than max the truck can handle.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
As far as the charging speeds, I think either is the same but based on your electrical supply. Anything less than 60A will charger slower than max the truck can handle.
Definitely not the same charging speed.

The portable EVSE supports a maximum of 32A @ 240V, which would give you 16 miles of range gained per hour.

The Wall EVSE supports a maximum of 48A @ 240V, which would give you 24 miles of range gained per hour.

The Rivian R1 platform maxes out at 11.5 kWh charging, which is 48A @ 240V.

Sponsored

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Thanks for the clarification Commodore. I emailed Rivian customer servcie and they said their hope is to be able to send out or make the wall chargers available prior to the R1T deliveries so people have time to get them installed once their truck arrvies.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
My delivery window is "First half of 2023" but I ordered it the day the gear shop opened up for my model Y.
Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 10.04.09 PM.png
Nice! So, direct wired? or NEMA 14-50 plug? Dip switches inside for setting amperage? Can you share the manual?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

jdk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Nice! So, direct wired? or NEMA 14-50 plug? Dip switches inside for setting amperage? Can you share the manual?
It's direct wired. Not sure about switches inside. But it's running 48A to my Tesla no problem

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
It's direct wired. Not sure about switches inside. But it's running 48A to my Tesla no problem
Is it showing up in your Rivian app? If so, what info does it give you when using with a non-Rivian?

jdk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is it showing up in your Rivian app? If so, what info does it give you when using with a non-Rivian?
It shows up and I started to connect it, but at the end it fails. I'm guessing it's because I don't have an actual Rivian. But on the positive side, it works fine without using the app

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Did they send you the wall charger prior to any payment for it? Just asking because I have a LE and have only had to pay the deposit. I have the wall charger added in my configuration but guessing they wouldn't ship anything until the $500 has been paid. If you did pay for it, how did you do that transaction?

jdk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did they send you the wall charger prior to any payment for it? Just asking because I have a LE and have only had to pay the deposit. I have the wall charger added in my configuration but guessing they wouldn't ship anything until the $500 has been paid. If you did pay for it, how did you do that transaction?
No, I purchased it from the gear shop separate from my R1S order. I think they shut down the ordering of it shortly after it went live tho
Sponsored