First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
What CS said makes sense; R1S is not an adventure vehicle if you could not keep going after putting the spare on but I will believe it when I see it. If it is anything like this (which I suspect it is), you can’t go over 50 mph and not for long. If any of you guys see an R1S in person, please check.

1640053388327.jpeg
I asked customer service about this two weeks ago. I specifically asked if there was a mph restriction on the ”compact spare.” I was told no. I asked if there was a mileage restriction on the compact spare. I was told no. I asked if there is any restriction whatsoever for the “compact spare” akin to those you would find applicable to a “donut” tire; again, “no.”

I then asked the obvious question. If I buy the compact spare, have a blowout of a regular tire, can I just use the compact spare - with its no mileage or MPH restrictions - as my new permanent tire. They said, no, I would use use the compact spare until service replaced my “normal“ tire, and they would then ”deflate and return” the compact spare back into the cargo storage.

It is anyone’s guess - because I can’t figure it out - how a spare tire with no mileage or mph restrictions…..is nevertheless incapable of becoming a “permanent” tire.

I think customer service has no clue, tbh.
Sponsored

Reactions: Max

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I asked customer service about this two weeks ago. I specifically asked if there was a mph restriction on the ”compact spare.” I was told no. I asked if there was a mileage restriction on the compact spare. I was told no. I asked if there is any restriction whatsoever for the “compact spare” akin to those you would find applicable to a “donut” tire; again, “no.”

I then asked the obvious question. If I buy the compact spare, have a blowout of a regular tire, can I just use the compact spare - with its no mileage or MPH restrictions - as my new permanent tire. They said, no, I would use use the compact spare until service replaced my “normal“ tire, and they would then ”deflate and return” the compact spare back into the cargo storage.

It is anyone’s guess - because I can’t figure it out - how a spare tire with no mileage or mph restrictions…..is nevertheless incapable of becoming a “permanent” tire.

I think customer service has no clue, tbh.
Anything that can collapse like that probably does not have as much side wall and steel. So it is not as safe to be under stress for extended time (at least not in any country with abundance of lawyers). Then again, I have not seen R1S’s spare. May be there is a new tech I have not seen.

I though may be you need special tools to properly deflate it. But it looks mighty simple on this guy’s tire:

Last edited: