Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Clubs

Rivian to site second manufacturing plant in Georgia

https://rivian.com/newsroom/article/rivian-to-site-second-manufacturing-plant-in-georgia

Rivian R1T R1S ? Official: Rivian Will Build a New Factory in Georgia With 400K / Yr Vehicle Capacity and Employ 7,500 People 16rivian-articleLarge

Dec. 16, 2021

Rivian will expand its manufacturing operations, locating its second U.S. plant in the state of Georgia. A carbon-conscious campus is planned east of Atlanta, in Morgan and Walton Counties. The project represents a $5-billion site development and manufacturing investment.

The plant, which will eventually employ more than 7,500 workers, represents a key next step as Rivian scales aggressively toward higher-capacity production for our future generation of products. Once ramped, the Georgia facility will be capable of producing up to 400,000 vehicles per year. Construction on the facility is expected to begin in summer 2022, and the start of production is slated for 2024. Site considerations included logistics, environmental impact, renewable energy production, availability and quality of talent and fit with Rivian company culture.

“We’re happy to partner with Georgia on our new manufacturing site, which will build our next generation of products that are important for scaling our business. Our work together is driven by a compelling purpose and rooted in building a highly collaborative environment that creates a true sense of belonging. We’re excited for Georgians to bring their creativity and ideas to Rivian. We’re confident that, alongside Illinois, Georgia is the place for Rivian to continue to scale and thrive,” said Rivian Chief People Officer Helen Russell.

Rivian’s almost 2,000-acre parcel will include abundant natural space. As with our facility in Normal, Rivian will develop community engagement and workforce training programs in the area.

Rivian is also scaling its capacity at its existing plant in Normal, Illinois. Rivian’s Normal plant was recently approved for a 623,000-square-foot expansion, which will bring the total footprint of the Normal plant to approximately 4 million square feet, with further plans to extend warehouse, storage, and production capacity onsite. Rivian’s hiring in Normal is scaling rapidly, with plans to hire an additional 800-1,000 employees in Normal by the second quarter of 2022.

Rivian and Georgia are planning 2022 town hall events near the manufacturing site so that area residents can learn more about the company and the site plan.

Rivian employees enjoy industry-leading compensation, generous benefits, and equity in the company for every team member to drive a real sense of ownership. Individuals interested in career opportunities with Rivian are encouraged to search opportunities at rivian.com/careers. New Normal and Georgia-based positions were posted today. Inquiries about project RFIs, RFPs listings, and supply chain outreach can be directed to [email protected].

Rivian R1T R1S ? Official: Rivian Will Build a New Factory in Georgia With 400K / Yr Vehicle Capacity and Employ 7,500 People jjgaeei1dz581

Rivian R1T R1S ? Official: Rivian Will Build a New Factory in Georgia With 400K / Yr Vehicle Capacity and Employ 7,500 People FGwfq7gXwAId8ry
Sponsored

Last edited:

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Bigger factory than expected at twice Normal’s capacity. Hopefully completed in 2023 with some small scale manufacture volume then to allow reasonable production in 2024 and full scale in 2025. This would indicate a new model (2 row SUV I assume) shown by early 2023 to allow preorder ahead of 2024 production. Also indicates aggressive overseas expansion as 500000 volume (taking out 100k for EDV in Normal) for the US and Canada is a lot.

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Bigger factory than expected at twice Normal’s capacity. Hopefully completed in 2023 with some small scale manufacture volume then to allow reasonable production in 2024 and full scale in 2025. This would indicate a new model (2 row SUV I assume) shown by early 2023 to allow preorder ahead of 2024 production. Also indicates aggressive overseas expansion as 500000 volume (taking out 100k for EDV in Normal) for the US and Canada is a lot.
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/rivia...ncentives-british-government-build-uk-factory

Rivian is already looking at a European factory. Looking at the UK and at least two other countries.

If it is in the UK it makes since to service all right hand drive countries plus Europe from the British factory.

That leaves the US factories for the rest of the right hand drive markets. Until there is a China factory I guess.

I see all the English speaking first world countries plus Norway being big markets for Rivian.

US
UK
Canada
Australia
New Zeeland
Ireland

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Georgia? PFFFT! Might as well just come to FL.

STOP TEASING THE FLORIDIANS, RIVIAN!!

?

ds2000

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Aston Martin DBS, 2019 Tesla Model 3
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/rivia...ncentives-british-government-build-uk-factory

Rivian is already looking at a European factory. Looking at the UK and at least two other countries.

If it is in the UK it makes since to service all right hand drive countries plus Europe from the British factory.

That leaves the US factories for the rest of the right hand drive markets. Until there is a China factory I guess.

I see all the English speaking first world countries plus Norway being big markets for Rivian.

US
UK
Canada
Australia
New Zeeland
Ireland
I don't understand why anyone would choose the UK, its not in the EU anymore so you'd be building cars in a 60m populated country with mad export costs vs the EU with 447m and open borders. In the Netherlands there is a rumour they might be coming here.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I don't understand why anyone would choose the UK, its not in the EU anymore so you'd be building cars in a 60m populated country with mad export costs vs the EU with 447m and open borders. In the Netherlands there is a rumour they might be coming here.
There are pros and cons. They could use the old Honda factory in southern England to minimize costs. The UK has a good regulatory and tax regime and experienced workers - given that Honda, Toyota and Nissan all came to the UK and not any European country. Brexit makes it a bit tricker but then exporting from the US to the EU can also be tricky as there is no free trade agreement other than WTO rules. I don’t expect an announcement until at least early 2023.

ds2000

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Aston Martin DBS, 2019 Tesla Model 3
There are pros and cons. They could use the old Honda factory in southern England to minimize costs. The UK has a good regulatory and tax regime and experienced workers - given that Honda, Toyota and Nissan all came to the UK and not any European country. Brexit makes it a bit tricker but then exporting from the US to the EU can also be tricky as there is no free trade agreement other than WTO rules. I don’t expect an announcement until at least early 2023.
Definitely, I'm from the UK myself and know the Honda plant and area pretty well. The UK has a good history with car manufacturing.

If the cars are produced inside the EU, as far as I'm aware, there would be no actual US -> EU export so it allows access to a large market. I believe also the Japanese market because one of the reasons for Honda leaving was that the EU agreed with Japan the tariff free sale of cars. Daft having an agreement for tariff free when you're making the cars at a plant not in the EU. Brexit has really done a number on the UK.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Definitely, I'm from the UK myself and know the Honda plant and area pretty well. The UK has a good history with car manufacturing.

If the cars are produced inside the EU, as far as I'm aware, there would be no actual US -> EU export so it allows access to a large market. I believe also the Japanese market because one of the reasons for Honda leaving was that the EU agreed with Japan the tariff free sale of cars. Daft having an agreement for tariff free when you're making the cars at a plant not in the EU. Brexit has really done a number on the UK.
I mentioned US to EU because initial European supply would come from the Georgia factory.
Honda left I thought because European sales were less than 200k so not viable volume to support a dedicated European factory. Brexit is a challenge but Nissan, Toyota and LR/Jaguar to name a few seem to be doing OK. The wider challenge is just the general election complicated/pandemic situation.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Looks like it may be an up hill battle to get the new plant built in Georgia…

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Looks like it may be an up hill battle to get the new plant built in Georgia…
Eh, I think the state will steamroll those yokels when all is said and done. Georgia state officials know that Rivian can get what they want from Fort Worth or Mesa in a heartbeat and they worked their asses off to make this deal happen. No way they are going to let the locals stand in the way of this project with all the money involved. They will grease the axels if they have to, but it's going to happen.
Sponsored