Sponsored

PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V??

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

They probably won’t tell you if they do. Most companies don’t comment on future product for obvious reasons.
I've previously had companies tell me that they aren't working on X project. They generally won't elaborate if they are or may in the future.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I've previously had companies tell me that they aren't working on X project. They generally won't elaborate if they are or may in the future.
One month later: x project announced. ?

Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 2-Open-Blue-Truck

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
What did the MotorTrend team have with them? Didn't they mention having 2 refrigerators on their TAT trip?

There's definitely enough volume in the frunk for a good size refrigerator and possibly even a dual unit. If there isn't one already on the market that will work, it is absolutely something Dometic needs to make!

Edit: Nevermind on the MotorTrend question. They had an ARB refrigerator in the bed. I guess they didn't have the tonneau closed then.

Edit2: Looks like the DID have the tonneau closed! Looks like an ARB Classic Series II fridge. Based on the specs, the 37QT is 16.9" tall, so it should fit under a closed tonneau. The ARB site lists a 17" height for the 63QT, so it might fit as well, depending on possible rounding by them and/or Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 1633719247926

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

What did the MotorTrend team have with them? Didn't they mention having 2 refrigerators on their TAT trip?

There's definitely enough volume in the frunk for a good size refrigerator and possibly even a dual unit. If there isn't one already on the market that will work, it is absolutely something Dometic needs to make!

Edit: Nevermind on the MotorTrend question. They had an ARB refrigerator in the bed. I guess they didn't have the tonneau closed then.

Edit2: Looks like the DID have the tonneau closed! Looks like an ARB Classic Series II fridge. Based on the specs, the 37QT is 16.9" tall, so it should fit under a closed tonneau. The ARB site lists a 17" height for the 63QT, so it might fit as well, depending on possible rounding by them and/or Rivian.

1633719247926.png
There’s plenty of volume in the frunk, just not enough height. Bummer. It would be a lot more convenient to have the fridge in the frunk and just use the bed for storage.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m holding out for an R1 frunk specific fridge/freezer combo that uses the whole space. Someone’s gotta do one

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I’m holding out for an R1 frunk specific fridge/freezer combo that uses the whole space. Someone’s gotta do one
If someone is designing a fridge just for the R1, I would prefer they leave just enough space on the driver side for the charging cables and a similar space on the other side for other random smaller stuff, but otherwise, yeah, fill nearly the whole volume!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If someone is designing a fridge just for the R1, I would prefer they leave just enough space on the driver side for the charging cables and a similar space on the other side for other random smaller stuff, but otherwise, yeah, fill nearly the whole volume!
There would have to be space at the sides for lifting handles anyhow. Simple enough to keep in mind the necessity of storing the charger etc.
If it was me designing it, it would be a shape which maximizes available volume while providing a usable interior shape(minimal odd angles).

o, to have a CAD model of an R1’s storage spaces…

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
I'm still waiting for an email back from CS with the floor dimensions but will share them when I do.

1633628424278.png
I received the following back.

"Thank you for reaching back out. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact measurements of the front trunk at the bottom with the cargo shelf removed. You are correct though it does narrow a little with the shelf removed. I apologize I don't have those measurements to share. "

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I received the following back.

"Thank you for reaching back out. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact measurements of the front trunk at the bottom with the cargo shelf removed. You are correct though it does narrow a little with the shelf removed. I apologize I don't have those measurements to share. "
We should ask CS to go out and measure it or, better yet, see if we can get someone going to the NY First Drive event or Venice space to measure it. Someone must have a tape measure they can bring with them.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Reviving this thread... It looks like the Dometic CFX3 35 (or, as others noted, the ARB 37/63) will fit, which is nice. I might return my 95DZ in favor of two 35s (fridge/freezer). Not ideal, but would at least get me food and ice in the bed relatively dust-free.

My kingdom for a nice wide/flat 14" fridge that would fit in the frunk ? Anyone aware of anything like this?

Sponsored

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

My kingdom for a nice wide/flat 14" fridge that would fit in the frunk ? Anyone aware of anything like this?
Nope!

Has anyone measured the depth of the frunk without the bottom floor open? The funny shape of the storage area underneath the bottom floor makes it difficult to fit any type of fridge other than something custom made.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Rivian R1T R1S PORTABLE REFRIGERATORS for Rivians -- 12V or 110V?? 40555242-CEE9-42E5-A72E-E4E87A1EF0F5

Maybe Yeti will launch the electric bucket sometime in the near future???

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Pardon my ignorance, but why must the fridge go in the frunk? Wouldn’t it make more sense to put it in the truck bed?

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Pardon my ignorance, but why must the fridge go in the frunk? Wouldn’t it make more sense to put it in the truck bed?
I've seen a few issues thrown around the forum.

Not enough space under the closed cover and only AC outlets in the bed. Those are the 2 that stick out in my memory.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've seen a few issues thrown around the forum.

Not enough space under the closed cover and only AC outlets in the bed. Those are the 2 that stick out in my memory.
Yeah, there are a couple factors for me:
  • Very few fridge models will fit under the tonneau cover. This is a requirement for me (many campsites in grizzly-danger areas require all food to be locked inside a vehicle or bear canister, and an open bed is just begging for lots of dust ingress and potential theft in overland/road tripping).
  • The layout of the bed (particularly the spare tire cover) makes it look like a fridge slide would be pretty tricky. Without that it's going to be a pain to get into a fridge in the bed even assuming you sort out the height issue, especially if e.g. I have a tent on the bed rails.
  • The bed is pretty small - I'd rather be able to fully utilize it for other bulky options like mountain bikes, camping gear, dog crates, etc. without giving up the fridge.
That said, I'd settle for a great solution to either - it just seems like right now we have at best a mediocre solution with small fridges in the bed. Another inch would solve so many problems!
Sponsored