Sponsored

Anyone worried?

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
An 800V system can charge at 400V stations, it just take longer (it is converted internally). All the EA sites have 900V on their 350 kW chargers (no other way to get that power), but their 150 kW handles will be 400V (actually up to 500?)
If that is the case, then I don't know why they would keep the 400V system at all.

Unless, they intend to have multiple charge points to increase the speed of charging. If you could turn one 800V battery into two 400V batteries, you could charge them with two separate charging cables and essentially get near the same rate of charge as an 800V station.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
But, but,.....uh.....have you seen the Cybertruck?
I was about to say the same thing. Cybertruck is by far one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever seen. People want it purely to be different.

OP
OP
Jehorton

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Go buy a halo edition warthog

Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Everything Tesla makes seems rushed to market. I would be fine with some slightly older technology in a more thought out design. Of course, if Rivian doesn't provide for a path to upgrade the batteries, then they lost my sale.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
False dichotemy. I have a lot of concerns about Rivian. But if I don't end up buying a Rivian, I sure as hell am not going to buy a Cybertruck.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
I'll find out before mine is delivered. But Rivian is playing the slow game, and that usually relates to a better product.

Tesla also have a huge following of fanatics that will buy their product even if they have one of the lowest reliability ratings. They don't have the incentive that Rivian has.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
1. What information have you received from Tesla regarding the Cybertruck, since you reserved it?
2. We have received some updates on production. We have gone from late 2020 to 2021. Also, you may have noticed that there is a global pandemic which makes estimating the future very difficult. I don't blame them for not having a firm date, since they could be shut down by the pandemic in the future.
3. I hate to tell you that Tesla has to buy batteries too. They buy them from Panasonic, LG Chem and Catl. It remains to be seen what kind of prices they will get on batteries. Tesla is likely to have an advantage on price, due to their larger scale, but I doubt their will be much difference in the technology. The battery manufactures all make pretty good batteries.
4. Tesla is speculated to have a new battery design. They haven't announced anything, and until they start producing it, it is speculation.
5. I seriously doubt the Cybertruck will beat Rivian to market. They haven't completed the purchase of the land on which they going to build the factory which will have equipment installed to produce the vehicle. It is highly unlikely that the Cybertruck will hit the market in 2021. The Cybertruck is a completely new design, using new materials and it will take extra time for production to start.
Sponsored