Sponsored

Can we be honest with each other - what benefit does a Rivian have over upcoming EVs?

Choqni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rogue hybrid
For us, it's really three criteria. Ground clearance, EV, price. After that it's great there's a 3rd row and great tech. And compared to the other future options, the R1S is the most economical.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I live in Colorado and do a lot of off roading. I have an acre up on a mountain that requires my Jeep or similarly equipped vehicle in order to get there. The F150 Lightning can get to my property but it is very limited in its off road capability. It only has about 8ā€ of ground clearance, which is lower than a even a standard 4x4 F150. The Cybertruck ā€˜shouldā€™ be similarly capable, but that truck will only start trickling out in 2023. I have a late reservation so I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have a shot at a CT until 2025-26 at the earliest.

From a pricing standpoint, the F150 make a lot of sense for a work truck. In most cases, if youā€™re a business and you need an BEV pickup, you would be dumb to go after the R1T. The Pro and XLT models start well below the R1Tā€™s price. The XLTā€™s price advantage becomes much narrower if you get the extended range battery but itā€™s still cheaper. Which brings me to the Lariat. Iā€™ve shown several times, the Lariat is a poor value compared to the R1T. Even the R1T Explore model is MUCH better equipped for a similar price. Of course, the Explore gets 300+ miles of range. You have to spend another $7000 to get 300 miles of range on a Lariat That alone makes it a no brainer to me.

EDIT: Personally, there is a wide card for me. That is the Chevy Siverado/GMC Sierra EVs. I will be giving these serious consideration based on when Rivian gives me a delivery window, pricing, and capability. Both GM and Ford are customers of mine, but GM is responsible for much larger commission checks. Iā€™d be very happy to do a Zoom presentation, in the mountains, from a Sierra EV. That would go over pretty damn good with them.

Last edited:

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I think In the Ford/Rivian comparison the question is do you compare the Lighting extended range to the Rivian 280 miles of range on 20ā€™s or to the Max packā€™s 10K higher price
An 80K vehicle with sub 300 range is a problem for me personally

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The question answers itself; the Rivian is here and now, and it's real. Aside from the much larger F-150 Lightning, all over EV pickups are "upcoming" ā€¦ : )

p.s. they had me at "Tank Mode"

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
The question answers itself; the Rivian is here and now, and it's real. Aside from the much larger F-150 Lightning, all over EV pickups are "upcoming" ā€¦ : )

p.s. they had me at "Tank Mode"
Tank mode is very possibly never going to be released, I fearā€¦. Gas prices are making it much more likely for me to get ev truck sooner than later if I was on the fence about that decision, which Iā€™m not haha.

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Tank mode is very possibly never going to be released, I fearā€¦. Gas prices are making it much more likely for me to get ev truck sooner than later if I was on the fence about that decision, which Iā€™m not haha.
Here's hoping you're wrong. They say it's a late OTA update. I'd like to think that means that it works (I don't know that I've seen a real demo) but they need to write a few more lines of code and debug enough safety into the system that dimwits don't try to do donuts on asphalt and break things.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Real as in promising delivery in July 22 for some LE reservation holders
Well, no, real as in the first production electric pickup, sold and on the road in 2021.
Sure, I ordered in 2018 with a real expectation of delivery in 2020, then 2021, then late 2021 and now Jan 2022, but I think there's going to be only two EV pickups in 2022: Rivian and Ford. The others are "upcoming." : )

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I think In the Ford/Rivian comparison the question is do you compare the Lighting extended range to the Rivian 280 miles of range on 20ā€™s or to the Max packā€™s 10K higher price
An 80K vehicle with sub 300 range is a problem for me personally
Where did you get 280mile of range on the 20s? I just havenā€™t heard any official word on that.

Anyways, Fordā€™s 300+ range is an estimate. There is no official rating on it yet. I guarantee you that range is not on AT tires. If you want like for like, you have to compare the R1Tā€™s 21ā€ all season tires with the Lightning. That is rated at 314 miles. Edmunds got just over that in their testing. Also, Fordā€™s standard battery has an estimated 230 miles of range. You have to get the extended battery to get 300 miles. That extended battery is $10000 extra on the Pro model (for fleet buyers only) and $7000 on the XLT and Lariat. The Lariat, with the extended range battery is still going to cost over $74000. Also, keep in mind that the Lariat doesnā€™t quite have the equipment level the R1T does in either its base form or Adventure trim.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Where did you get 280mile of range on the 20s? I just havenā€™t heard any official word on that.
Rivan.com says 314 EPA estimate for 21" wheels, and a 10-15% reduction for 20" wheels. That would be 267-282 miles estimated for the 20". The ~280 that GaryL mentions is at the top end -- so most favorable for Rivian -- but within the range.

Rivian R1T R1S Can we be honest with each other - what benefit does a Rivian have over upcoming EVs? 1638102149778

Anyways, Fordā€™s 300+ range is an estimate. There is no official rating on it yet. I guarantee you that range is not on AT tires. If you want like for like, you have to compare the R1Tā€™s 21ā€ all season tires with the Lightning. That is rated at 314 miles. Edmunds got just over that in their testing. Also, Fordā€™s standard battery has an estimated 230 miles of range. You have to get the extended battery to get 300 miles. That extended battery is $10000 extra on the Pro model (for fleet buyers only) and $7000 on the XLT and Lariat. The Lariat, with the extended range battery is still going to cost over $74000. Also, keep in mind that the Lariat doesnā€™t quite have the equipment level the R1T does in either its base form or Adventure trim.
Agreed that it's difficult to make mileage comparisons with the Ford, at this time. We don't know what the actual estimate will be. ATs will hurt mileage -- but we don't know that "300" is exactly going to be the EPA estimate. If it comes back at 350, for example, then ATs will reduce that, but perhaps not below 300. We don't know, yet.

As far as equipment goes, it's more complicated. Rivian has some features that Ford does not -- such as air suspension. However, Ford has features that Rivian does not -- such as Pro Power Onboard, CarPlay, operable moonroof. Different consumers will find the "value" of these vehicles to differ, based on their own personal weight on what features each vehicle does provide.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
From Rivian . See above. The 21's do kinda cut into the Adventure thing.

The equipment set of the 2 vehicles are geared toward different use cases. Both have options unavailable on the other. There probably isn't a consistent "winner", It's more a case of which truck fits the job at hand better.

Last edited:

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
As far as I care, it's only real when I can get one. Right now I can't get any of these and there's nothing saying Riv wouldn't delay again though I hope they won't.

Reactions: Max

Toadkillerdog

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo, 2020 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Physician
BTW platinum trim F150 lightning with inefficient 22 inch wheels is projected by Ford to have 280 miles range with large pack.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
BTW platinum trim F150 lightning with inefficient 22 inch wheels is projected by Ford to have 280 miles range with large pack.
I've read that the 21s on the Rivian deliver greatest range and 20s on the Lightning are most efficient. On a Tesla, the 20s are most efficient because they're the lightest (and of course tire compound and rolling resistance are major factors.)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Here's hoping you're wrong. They say it's a late OTA update. I'd like to think that means that it works (I don't know that I've seen a real demo) but they need to write a few more lines of code and debug enough safety into the system that dimwits don't try to do donuts on asphalt and break things.
Up up down down left right left right B A

should turn on tank turn
Sponsored