Max Pack holders: tell me your thoughts

Blackbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Mitsubishi Delica L300
Occupation
Small business owner
Fellow Max pack reservation holders: given all of the info we have now about deliveries for non-max pack vehicles, is anyone considering dropping their reservation? Switching to the smaller battery to try to skip ahead in line? Given that I haven't seen or heard any information about the Max pack even being a physical product that exists yet, it's hard to justify waiting potentially years more for something like this just to get the extra miles. What do Max pack holders think? please sound off.
Sponsored

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner
Fellow Max pack reservation holders: given all of the info we have now about deliveries for non-max pack vehicles, is anyone considering dropping their reservation? Switching to the smaller battery to try to skip ahead in line? Given that I haven't seen or heard any information about the Max pack even being a physical product that exists yet, it's hard to justify waiting potentially years more for something like this just to get the extra miles. What do Max pack holders think? please sound off.
For us we need the max pack battery. We live in rural MN and drive a hundred miles to do real shopping. I think winter with less range or traveling we could not get by with the smaller battery pack. Granted there are starting to be more chargers but part of it is about time too. Limited fast charging. I do not want to think about charging when going on a day trip somewhere.

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
There are and will be battery constraints for all automakers for the foreseeable future. Given a set of battery supplies, they can sell more large pack cars vs max pack cars. It makes business sense for them to prioritize based on battery size. I initially reserved max pack but switched to large pack with the potential BBB ev incentive + EPA range estimate. I don’t plan to do any towing so 315 miles is good enough for most of my use cases.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf (2016), Mustang Mach E (2021)
I am sticking with the Max Pack reservation as the RIT will be our family road trip car/going on forest roads into the mountains car and the extra range matters to us. Two months ago we bought a Mustang Mach E with the extended range so I could be more relaxed about the wait. I am super excited about the R1T but I can be patient.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
While I and my family don't need a Max pack, I am holding firm on it as when we do family trips or camping, having that range is extremely nice. Especially if there are limited charging options or no fast DC options along the way (or worse, those options are offline).

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Like others, we are standing firm. We tow. We road trip. We go off the beaten path in places where it is many miles from the chargers to even get to the start off the path. We will drive this for 15-20 years. Is it frustrating? Yup. Will we manage? Yup. We look to be a one car family for another year. C’est la vie

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I compromised on battery capacity once, won't do it for this one, I want to tow medium sized pop up trailers and I want half of a max pack range not half of a reg range.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Disregarding all around increased usefulness, it is a must for us from October to May because winter. cold hurts range on gas vehicles too.

Not compromising a primary need just to maybe, possibly, but probably not get something sooner.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hemlock

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel, 2016 Honda Civic Touri
Occupation
Lodge host, volunteer firefighter
Max Pack or nothing. From sea-level to the ski hill, I drive long distance routes multiple times a week. I'm on mountain roads in all weather conditions, all year long. And when I get a call-out, there's no time to charge the battery. And my wine-loving wifey and sister-in-law love heading to the interior to hit the Street of Vineyards whenever they can (me too!). It’s so wonderful that our kids don't need babysitters anymore.

There's no R1T for us without the range. We can wait. ?

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Great question, to Max or not? I guess I'm kicking myself now for not picking the LE when I could have. So I originally went with the Max Pack. As I've had way to much time to think about this and play with ABRP on 135 vs 180 kWh, I would guess 98% of the time, as the R1T will be my wife's DD and we live in NC, the Large pack will be plenty. On occasions when when we pull our small camper to the mountains, the Max would be great. But as things change, we now have the possibility of the BBB Bill which for me would make the Max pack a $17,500 upgrade.

I emailed Rivian again to seek clarification, we'll see if they give any real answer as they usually never do. Things like delivery timing. So if I switch to Large pack as they have stated we Adventure holders will hear by the end of December and your configuration will influence your delivery date, am I better to stay Max or go with Large for getting a R1T sooner?

Payload Rating: Still no information on payload rating. What is the payload of R1T Adventure with off road and Max Pack?

Per MT: They weighed their R1T and got 7,150 lbs with off road and 20". So 8,532 GVWR - 7,150 lbs puts Payload at 1,382 lbs. How much does the Max Pack add to wt? 300-400 lbs? Does anyone know this? Let's go with 400 lbs. 1,382 -400 lbs...are we now down to a Payload of 982 lbs for the Max Pack?

These are the type of spec's Rivian needs to provide so customers can make informed decisions.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
How much does the Max Pack add to wt? 300-400 lbs? Does anyone know this? Let's go with 400 lbs.
I haven't seen the truck bed mounted battery pack mentioned in a while:

"Rivian says that its battery pack may be available in several configurations to provide varying amounts of power and weigh "several hundred pounds or more," meaning that the company could theoretically sell 10-kilowatt-hour or 20-kWh packs depending on a customer's needs."​

Even if Rivian doesn't do this - I have to believe an aftermarket solution will emerge. And I bet it would cost less than $17k :)

StormyKnight

First Name
Stormy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt / Silverado Hybrid
We’re undecided. My current ride is an old Silverado that has left us stranded twice since the summer (both times with horses in the trailer behind us). I’ve ABRPed every trip over the last three years and we just couldn’t make it in the smaller pack with the trailer. We have to wait for the Max pack. I’m just not sure the Silverado will make it yet another year. I’d like to see what the delivery schedule looks like next month.
Sponsored