First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have been written off by our government claiming that I make too much money to deserve any EV tax credit, so canceling my R1T and R1S...
As a tax payer, I'm pretty happy that we're not all spending our money buying you (or me) a truck ?‍♂
Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
My ideal R1T costs more than the $80,000 MSRP threshold for the $7,500 tax break. Maybe yours does too?

What are you willing to sacrifice to keep your truck in incentive territory?
My config is$80,050, including the Rivian charging station. Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm hoping there is a way to have the charger cost broken out so it doesn't count towards the MSRP.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I think you're looking at the previous version. The version voted on has 80k
https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/2021/11/18/house-section/article/H6375-4

The only way i was seemingly able to find the text of the version as passed was from finding the link to it in the list of actions.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/5376/all-info
Gah! Whey the heck doesn't congress.gov link the *PASSED* version under the "text" tab? Every other piece of legislation I've looked at had it that way!

Well, that makes me feel better! I can add Forest Edge and the Offroad upgrade back on!

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
At $1700-$3500 upgrade cost I guarantee that Rivian is not giving you ‘credit’ for the value of the stock 21” wheals/tires.
So you're suggesting that when a "20" wheel with AT tire" set is added to the gear shop for later purchase it'll be exactly $1800?

The same as the upgrade when purchasing the truck?

Nah. I'll be way more.

Buying a set of (4) 20"s a la carte may not be $1800 more than buying a set of (4) 21"s a la carte, but it definitely will be more expensive than the 21"s.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
My config is$80,050, including the Rivian charging station. Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm hoping there is a way to have the charger cost broken out so it doesn't count towards the MSRP.
The charger already doesn't count towards the MSRP.

Just like cargo bars, optional spare tires, etc.

You're buying 2 things - a truck and a charger.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

As a tax payer, I'm pretty happy that we're not all spending our money buying you (or me) a truck ?‍♂
Agreed. I live in a high-living-expense city. The income threshold is *PLENTY* high for around here. My wife and I will *JUST* exceed that cap this year, and will drop back below it next year. Even if they use our 2021 income, we'll still qualify for some of the credit, which we don't need. And I'm just fine with it not fully applying to me. The vehicle MSRP cap is more worrying, since it's an all-or-nothing, not a "fade out", and could make things like changing the paint color have a many thousand dollar difference in price. That is something tricky and harder to expect, and doesn't directly relate to the income of the person buying.

Although at the sedan level, for a vehicle that qualifies for the full credit, it could make the difference between someone who is "firmly middle class" being able to afford a vehicle and not - $55,001 vs. $42,499 with a two-dollar drop in MSRP. Someone firmly middle class may be able to scrounge and save and pay $42,499 for an "EV that is exactly what they want", but not afford $55,001 at all, which could bump them out of buying an EV. The MSRP cap should be a fade-out impactor for the benefit, too.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So you're suggesting that when a "20" wheel with AT tire" set is added to the gear shop for later purchase it'll be exactly $1800?

The same as the upgrade when purchasing the truck?

Nah. I'll be way more.

Buying a set of (4) 20"s a la carte may not be $1800 more than buying a set of (4) 21"s a la carte, but it definitely will be more expensive than the 21"s.
Well maybe 1800 is tight for wheels/rims if you include installation costs but it isn't far off. The Pirelli Scorpians are around $213/ea for example in 275/60R20. I can find some nice alloy wheels for a $1000 all day.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
The way it works now (and supposedly if the new one passes, your credit is based off the MSRP of the trim of vehicle you're getting, and the options don't count.

IF they count the Max Pack as a separate "trim", it won't qualify.

If they invoice it as an Adventure Package, with Max Pack as an option, you'll qualify.

Rivian is aware of this and how it will affect us (and their bottom line).

When the law is actually passed, they'll have more info.

(I already emailed customer service about this)

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
If we have to play these silly taxdeer games, I'd be happy if Rivian sold their vehicles software hobbled (100 mile range and FM radio only as the default) and you get the desired feature set via subscription.

Sponsored

orionexp

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure
Occupation
retired
My ideal R1T costs more than the $80,000 MSRP threshold for the $7,500 tax break. Maybe yours does too?

What are you willing to sacrifice to keep your truck in incentive territory?

If prices climb in the new year to keep up with inflation, what more will you put on the fire for free cash?
I'm way over with the Max Pack. Not gonna sacrifice it. too much range anxiety. Who knows, maybe there will be new incentives from legislation under consideration. It doesn't look good for $80k+ vehicles, but it still has to go through the Senate. I've written my senators as if that would do any good.

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Do you all believe that the Senate is going to pass the Inflation Bill as is?

There are two Dems that are opposed currently to go with all Reps. That's 52-48 No.

If it were to pass, there sure would be lots of changes, then it goes back to reconciliation btwn the House and Senate, This will surely take you into next year - mid term coming up.

But if you look at the existing incentive, its a $7500 tax credit without the cost limit on the vehicle. Only the first 200K qualify for the whole amount, then steps down.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I am at 79.xxx so I am good. I already decided against the rivian charger and don't require much else. I believe I have the spare, all weather mats and cross bars.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I believe there’s an income cap on the write off. Which is unfortunate.
Ya, the cap gets me too, but I give the bill 50/50 to pass anyways.
Sponsored