Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

finished watching it. Nothing really new, just a few Easter eggs I hadn't seen.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Wonder how many reservations will cancel when they realize they can't get the $40k version. It's only for commercial/fleet orders. Base price for regular consumers will be around $50k, which is still a good value for people needing a "work" truck.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Wonder how many reservations will cancel when they realize they can't get the $40k version. It's only for commercial/fleet orders. Base price for regular consumers will be around $50k, which is still a good value for people needing a "work" truck.
I feel like that is general knowledge to know that price is entry level. IE fleet

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I feel like that is general knowledge to know that price is entry level. IE fleet
Perhaps, but they don't tell people placing a refundable $100 deposit that might think they will be able to order one at that price point, and when they open orders soon, will find that out.

They've also said that fleet customers haven't jumped in yet to a large degree (playing "wait and see"), so the order numbers are almost entirely retail customers.

Does anyone know of a breakdown of historical F150 sales by time level/price point? I still think there a ton of people saying, "hey my last ICE F150 in XL trim was only $40k, wow I can get an electric version for the same price", when it will actually be more like $50k.

Won't matter much to Ford because they will be supply constrained for at least 5 years anyway.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Does anyone know of a breakdown of historical F150 sales by time level/price point? I still think there a ton of people saying, "hey my last ICE F150 in XL trim was only $40k, wow I can get an electric version for the same price", when it will actually be more like $50k.
Well, $50k - $12.5k (current EV proposed tax credit) brings it back in line with their old $40k work truck.

But yeah, I agree, every time I hear "It's only $40k!" it makes my teeth grind. It's $40k for the fleet only version with the small battery pack and manual roll up windows y0...

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
If the current EV bill goes into law, the Lightling will likely qualify for $12k+ of federal incentives. So for many that will translate to $50k - $12k = $38k. If you're part of the needs/wants Venn diagram where the R1T and Lighting overlap, the Lighting is looking pretty good.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Well, $50k - $12.5k (current EV proposed tax credit) brings it back in line with their old $40k work truck.

But yeah, I agree, every time I hear "It's only $40k!" it makes my teeth grind. It's $40k for the fleet only version with the small battery pack and manual roll up windows y0...
True, that's right. But seriously, the $40k is not just that it's lower range and spartan, you literally can't order it, it doesn't exist to retail customers. It's not even like the Tesla M3 that you had to call a secret number and give them a code word to order, you flat out cannot order it unless you are a business ordering in bulk.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
True, that's right. But seriously, the $40k is not just that it's lower range and spartan, you literally can't order it, it doesn't exist to retail customers. It's not even like the Tesla M3 that you had to call a secret number and give them a code word to order, you flat out cannot order it unless you are a business ordering in bulk.
Yup, I think that's the killer... you literally cannot buy the 40k one.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Yup, I think that's the killer... you literally cannot buy the 40k one.
I don’t think anyone on this forum would be thinking of buying the entry model.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I don’t think anyone on this forum would be thinking of buying the entry model.
I don't think I said that.

My stance (and I think the general conscientious here is) that when Ford and everyone else says "They start at $40k", they don't really start at $40k, closer to $52-$54k for one that Joe Public can buy. So it comes off a bit as false advertising.
Sponsored