Sponsored

Charging curve? - Breckenridge chargers - locals take a peek this week?

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Not much. The fastest they should be able to peak is about 220 kW.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rivian also cranked up the curve just for the race for them and we won't see this. Just tempering expectations (mostly own).
I really hoping for their patent to reconfigure cells for parallel charging with having 400v architecture is a thing and not just a patent but we'll find out eventually. Not holding my breath haha.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
For context, one of the new owners just did 22-81% in 40 minutes, and started at 22% showing approximately 125 kw. Seems like the current "public" software may be very restricted in charging rate. Which may also be why Rivian hasn't let someone like InsideEVS log the charging curve.
The older ABB 150kw chargers used by EA have a 350A current limit. On my Mach E that results in a maximum of 126kw at 360V. I am able to hit 160kw on a 350kw charger with 450A current limit. This is a reason why having 800V charging is better, you do not run up against the current limits of some stations.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The older ABB 150kw chargers used by EA have a 350A current limit. On my Mach E that results in a maximum of 126kw at 360V. I am able to hit 160kw on a 350kw charger with 450A current limit. This is a reason why having 800V charging is better, you do not run up against the current limits of some stations.
I hate those ABB units...

The owner said he was at a 305kW unit.

I really hoping for their patent to reconfigure cells for parallel charging with having 400v architecture is a thing and not just a patent but we'll find out eventually. Not holding my breath haha.
Same. I wonder if they're doing the same thing GM is doing and limiting that to the bigger batteries. I can only imagine how pissed some launch edition holders would be over that. Or they're just holding off for 800v for the next model.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Circling back here, the user I was referencing yesterday says they had a peak of 170 kW, and had said they'd be at a 350kW charger. At that point the truck has been driving on the highway for quite awhile, so I would assume it was warm. Another owner reported 29 minutes go to from 51% to 80%. Other than Emme's data point, it seems like the curve tapers quite a bit for the current owners. Worth noting that you can still achieve Rivian's 140 miles/20 minutes from a low SoC with the curves the current owners seem to be observing.

I'm definitely taking this with a grain of salt, but it would be nice to be able to confirm what Emme saw. I kind of want to ask her if she meant to type in 80kw instead of 180kw. That would more closely match what the owners seem to be seeing.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Maybe not needed for the race, itself... But consider that a custom software build would allow Rivian to test things and gather some great data. The faster charge curve may not be needed to satisfy Emme, but it could give Rivian valuable information about how the truck handles it and what the effect to battery longevity may be.

Not saying it is custom software or stock…. Just saying it is entirely plausible that it is custom.
They absolutely had a custom S/W build for Rebelle Rally. there are various restrictions placed on every vehicle, like not being able to use GPS/map. Rvian had to disable a number of things on the system so its possible they also enabled some other things to track, help the drivers and help Rivian collect data.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
They absolutely had a custom S/W build for Rebelle Rally. there are various restrictions placed on every vehicle, like not being able to use GPS/map. Rvian had to disable a number of things on the system so its possible they also enabled some other things to track, help the drivers and help Rivian collect data.
Agreed. We aren't seeing a similar curve as what Emme had.
Sponsored