Sponsored

Where does the front license plate get mounted?

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Ugh, I live in CA also. Really don't want to install it in the front. Is that a warning only from chp or a ticket?
It’s a fix it ticket. Pain in the rear Why do people invite chaos in their lives?
Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Lived in California my whole life and haven't have a front plate on any car since 2006.

My Mini doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
It did come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.
I asked the dealer to let me do that at home.

My Volvo doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
It did come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.

My Rav4E didn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

My Tesla Model X doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.

I sure as heck hope my Rivian R1T doesn't have a spot for the front plate from the factory.
I expect it to come with a perfectly molded plate mount that would require drilling holes into the bumper.
I have a box at home that I plan to put it in.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I haven't seen front license in plate in most Teslas, my neighborhood is pretty much filled with Model 3/Y and most of them don't have front license plate.
All illegal in Cal.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I know in NY/NJ you need a front license plate. It is definitely a ticket with NJ charging $100 for a violation.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Don't want to hi-jack this thread but VERY curious about your plans to install a winch. Perhaps start a new thread outlining your plan? I was wondering the same thing as I've watched all the videos of the r1t in Colorado...
I typically get a warn zeon with synthetic rope.. I's what I've got on my Wrangler. Which Zeon I get will be based on my mounting options. The Zeon platinum has a wireless controller and clutch. On my Raptor, that was needed due to the location of any winch making the clutch handle unaccessible. For now, I don't know exactly what the mounting situation is, so I can't make a decision yet.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I typically get a warn zeon with synthetic rope.. I's what I've got on my Wrangler. Which Zeon I get will be based on my mounting options. The Zeon platinum has a wireless controller and clutch. On my Raptor, that was needed due to the location of any winch making the clutch handle unaccessible. For now, I don't know exactly what the mounting situation is, so I can't make a decision yet.
Yeah...that's the curious part...how the heck do you attach a winch to the r1t bumper without destroying it and have it still look "right".

And to tag on the license plate question...front plates required in Colorado as well but (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :angel:) my understanding is that it only has to be "visible" from the front. I know lots of folks who put them on their dash and have done okay with LEO. Personally, I've just been playing the odds and taking my chances. Been stopped several times and never had anyone mention it - just try to be polite, not argue and wrap it up as soon as possible. Doesn't mean I haven't gotten a few tickets...just not for the absence of a plate ?. Worth it for me not to drill holes in the bumper...to each his own...

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Tape seems the be their plan at the moment :CWL:

Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 11.04.04 AM

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Yeah...that's the curious part...how the heck do you attach a winch to the r1t bumper without destroying it and have it still look "right".

And to tag on the license plate question...front plates required in Colorado as well but (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :angel:) my understanding is that it only has to be "visible" from the front. I know lots of folks who put them on their dash and have done okay with LEO. Personally, I've just been playing the odds and taking my chances. Been stopped several times and never had anyone mention it - just try to be polite, not argue and wrap it up as soon as possible. Doesn't mean I haven't gotten a few tickets...just not for the absence of a plate ?. Worth it for me not to drill holes in the bumper...to each his own...
yea, I left a plate in the windshield of my Jeep for a while. I got no complaints.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Personally, I've just been playing the odds and taking my chances. Been stopped several times and never had anyone mention it.
Well I have HAD a front plate for many years and haven’t been pulled over in over a decade. Maybe you’re getting pulled over for a reason? :)

I think I’m going to try this sticker thing. Seems like a low cost experiment, unless I get a huge ticket of course… Could even work with a winch; just put it off to one side.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

For those that are curious, this is my fairlead plate mount.

Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? 51109038908_e407fce6e6_b

Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? 51108885594_172e3eaf20_b

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Well I have HAD a front plate for many years and haven’t been pulled over in over a decade. Maybe you’re getting pulled over for a reason? :)

I think I’m going to try this sticker thing. Seems like a low cost experiment, unless I get a huge ticket of course… Could even work with a winch; just put it off to one side.
Oh yeah...there was a reason all right. I was pulled over because I was exceeding the posted limit by a significant amount. Got the ticket, the points and the higher insurance rates to prove it ?. My bad...in too much of a hurry...caught dead to rights. A lack of a plate would have been the least of my worries but fortunately wasn't part of the conversation.
As far as the "sticker thing"...might be a good idea...or might draw even more attention. At least without a plate there, it could appear to be just negligence. A made up sticker indicates deliberate planning and execution. Personally, I hope it works out cause it's still better than drilling...let us know how it goes...Good luck...

Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? 1636077469524

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Spotted an employee owned truck today in SF. License plate had a plastic mount to the bumper.

Rivian R1T R1S Where does the front license plate get mounted? 65902660497__6E61377F-3C46-4B36-9547-EF58BB32F139 copy

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Spotted an employee owned truck today in SF. License plate had a plastic mount to the bumper.

65902660497__6E61377F-3C46-4B36-9547-EF58BB32F139 copy.png
Talked about this with my 1st mile guy. He said that Rivian would provide a bracket/mount that would require drilling the front bumper. I asked him about alternatives like https://customlicenseplates.us/ . He indicated that he uses one on his Tesla and knows a number of people who do and that no one, to his knowledge, has had a problem with that solution in Washington State.
Sponsored