Sponsored

Tranfer of Rivian shares from Morgan Stanley to another brokerage firm

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Tried to get this going for my ETrade account and can't get it to recognize the MS account number.
Same here with Fidelity. They said it was an invalid account number. I'm just going to wait a month for the first statement then try again.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Tried to get this going for my ETrade account and can't get it to recognize the MS account number.
That's because what's on the web site isn't your account number. Try 405 for the first 3 digits.

eTrade will come back and ask for a statement from MS. I guess untill we get one of those the shares stay with MS.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas
That's because what's on the web site isn't your account number. Try 405 for the first 3 digits.

eTrade will come back and ask for a statement from MS. I guess untill we get one of those the shares stay with MS.
Don't forget that Morgan Stanley owns E*Trade! ?

Last edited:

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
Don't forget that Morgan Stanley Owner E*Trade! ?
I had no idea to be honest and then coincidentally I saw an email from them on their upcoming banking changes. MS and Etrade will al be one soon I guess.

GrokTime

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyotas
I had no idea to be honest and then coincidentally I saw an email from them on their upcoming banking changes. MS and Etrade will al be one soon I guess.
I think the current E*Trade platform will be around for the indefinite future, but they are consolidating the underlying banking structures.

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

It shows a truncated account number. Go into settings and select show full account number.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Don't forget that Morgan Stanley owns E*Trade! ?
Owns or not, the start of integration isn't until next year. I want the funds in my etrade account with everything else. I initiated the transfer from etrade but it failed. Etrade said I have to initiate on the Morgan Stanley side. I'll have to call and try that tomorrow.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
It's really annoying. I'm with Commonwealth, and they need a "Letter of Authorization for Stock Transfer form" from Morgan Stanley. Spoke with people at MS and they acted like theyd never heard of someone moving shares to another brokerage before. They had to "escalate my case" to someone else who would get back to me about the form...

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

It's really annoying. I'm with Commonwealth, and they need a "Letter of Authorization for Stock Transfer form" from Morgan Stanley. Spoke with people at MS and they acted like theyd never heard of someone moving shares to another brokerage before. They had to "escalate my case" to someone else who would get back to me about the form...
I called MS last week and they sent me the form (called "Letter of Authorization To Deliver via DTC"); I sent it back to them this week. When you return it, you need to include a scanned copy of a signed driver license or passport. Then, I received an e-mail message from the DSP department to call them in order to confirm my identity; that happened yesterday for me. In theory, all of that is done, but they said it would take 10-14 days to make the transfer.

This is speculation on my part, but I think the extra red tape is because the shares are associated with DSP, so there's an extra layer of verification that's needed. Or something.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
It shows a truncated account number. Go into settings and select show full account number.
My account shows REG - xxx -xxxxxx. REG is not a legit account number. I didn't find out my account number until I got the notification of the share purchase in the mail.

Sponsored

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
My account shows REG - xxx -xxxxxx. REG is not a legit account number. I didn't find out my account number until I got the notification of the share purchase in the mail.
So I had trouble with my transfer (kept getting "there's a restriction on your M.S. account" message from Schwab) because I got the wrong number for my account, ended up calling M.S. and they gave me the actual account number and hopefully this will do it for my transfer. For Schwab, I didn't have to provide any documents at all after I got the correct account number.

SwaziCAR

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 Subaru Legacy Brighton, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Office boy
Clubs

I called MS last week and they sent me the form (called "Letter of Authorization To Deliver via DTC"); I sent it back to them this week. When you return it, you need to include a scanned copy of a signed driver license or passport. Then, I received an e-mail message from the DSP department to call them in order to confirm my identity; that happened yesterday for me. In theory, all of that is done, but they said it would take 10-14 days to make the transfer.
FWIW, form submitted to MS Tuesday, follow-up identity call Wednesday, shares confirmed in receiving account Friday.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

FWIW, form submitted to MS Tuesday, follow-up identity call Wednesday, shares confirmed in receiving account Friday.
Appreciate the update as I'm looking to do the same. Thanks!

Rjalbright3

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 M3P, 2011 Ford F350
I initiated a transfer from MS to TD, and am awaiting the results as well. I noticed the share purchase confirmation that was mailed showed a different account number then that of the web interface so I called TD to make the change. ( I requested the transfer with the wrong number initially)

TD Customer service was very helpful in making the change to the transfer request. We shall see how long this transfer actually takes, but the person I dealt with said it's typically about 3 business days.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Regardless of your take on the whole Gamestop thing, just going to point out here that in January when things were exploding, only two brokers in the US weren't forced to block buys on their apps that I'm aware of. Vanguard and Fidelity. Of the rest, I think only Robinhood was happy to do so and continued to do so when it became clear they didn't need to anymore. Their profit model is almost entirely dependent on an MM/HF/too-many-other-things conglomerate that was/(still is, IMO) hugely short on GME.

I would personally not hold shares through a brokerage owned by a major bank right now. It appears nobody learned anything from 2008 and we are most definitely not isolated from what's happening in China.

And if you've got a lot riding on margin, be very careful about that in the coming months.
Sponsored