Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Does it bother anyone else that Rivian rarely communicates with its pre-order folks?? Is it really all that hard to send out a monthly email to let us know what's going on? Lack of communication makes me feel a bit forgotten. It's probably just me.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They seem to be communicating on a roughly weekly cadence. I got an email from them just today entitled "Watch the R1T take on the Arizona desert" with a link to their latest youtube video highlighting their performance and durability testing. I take it you are either looking for a different kind of information or you aren't receiving the emails being sent?

Perhaps if we fill this thread with information we'd like to know, they will find ways to communicate that to us (as they are able).

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I'm glad they are beating the hell out of the truck and I would like specs and dimensions but until production is finalized that my not be exact. Dont want to put the wrong info in my head. Building a vehicle is a very complicated and difficult task.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Does it bother anyone else that Rivian rarely communicates with its pre-order folks?? Is it really all that hard to send out a monthly email to let us know what's going on? Lack of communication makes me feel a bit forgotten. It's probably just me.
I agree, just a simple email stating a little bit of what they've been working on would be nice. I know everyone is excited about the "late summer" configurator, but I don't think anything official has been communicated regarding this. I believe it was simply a reply to a tweet and everyone has run rampant with the reply. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to do things right the first time and the global pandemic has wreaked havoc on everyone, but how about an email to the reservation holders regarding any updates or progress??

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I know everyone is excited about the "late summer" configurator, but I don't think anything official has been communicated regarding this. I believe it was simply a reply to a tweet and everyone has run rampant with the reply. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to do things right the first time and the global pandemic has wreaked havoc on everyone, but how about an email to the reservation holders regarding any updates or progress??
Just FYI, I received an unsolicited email direct from Rivian about a month ago confirming the “late summer” configurator release.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
What don't we know?
Seriously? You might want to qualify your question or we're going to end up with hundreds of replies ranging from the official exterior colors to the purchase process and delivery, to service and maintenance, pricing, details of purchase options (buy, lease, subscription), etc. Most of this has been by word of mouth (e.g. from Rivian reps at events), speculation, and in some case stale (over a year ago) information that may or may not be still applicable. A lot has occurred since Nov 2018 and not just with Rivian as the competition has heated up. The expectation is the vehicle configurator is going to answer a lot of these questions once it comes online. Until then, yea, there are plenty of unanswered questions IMO.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just FYI, I received an unsolicited email direct from Rivian about a month ago confirming the “late summer” configurator release.
Was this a response from your reservation or just an email? I've saved all my emails from Rivian and don't have anything that mentions the configurator - not to say you didn't receive one, I just think whomever is in charge of PR at Rivian needs to quit playing the adventure, testing, coloring book, etc. angle and give some updates to those that have invested.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Was this a response from your reservation or just an email? I've saved all my emails from Rivian and don't have anything that mentions the configurator - not to say you didn't receive one, I just think whomever is in charge of PR at Rivian needs to quit playing the adventure, testing, coloring book, etc. angle and give some updates to those that have invested.
Well, I guess it was in response to having a reservation, but the email arrived several months after I made my reservation. I received the email below on May 12th.

Hi XXXXXX,

My name is XXXX and I’m on the Community Engagement team here at Rivian. I want to personally congratulate you on your recent preorder and welcome you to the Rivian team.

From now until you take delivery of your R1T, one of the important milestones that we’re eager to share with you is the launch of our configurator in late summer. Within the configurator, you’ll be able to customize your Electric Adventure Vehicle (EAV) with your favorite color, trim level, battery pack options, and more. Until then, keep an eye on your inbox and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have along the way.

Best,
XXXX

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well, I guess it was in response to having a reservation, but the email arrived several months after I made my reservation. I received the email below on May 12th.
Thanks. I definitely didn't get that one, but it doesn't surprise me.

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Thanks. I definitely didn't get that one, but it doesn't surprise me.
Same here. IIRC May 12 is shortly before Rivian announced the Customer Engagement Center was going to be located in Normal and that they would be hiring 40 or so employees by the end of the year. Perhaps with the additional staff they're trying to communicate more or at least with the new and fairly recent pre-orders. Regardless, if Rivian determined the information in that email was important for the new pre-order, why would they not think it would be important to all the previous pre-order holders?

Tony Caravano is the Senior Director, Retail & Customer Experience for Rivian and is located in Plymouth. Now I don't know if the Customer Experience department is moving to Plymouth, and/or being renamed as Customer Engagement or will remain in Plymouth with Customer Engagement being an additional department. Whichever department is responsible for communicating with customers, my impressions are, and have been, they're going through some serious growing pains. I get it, but unfortunately their communications are infrequent, inconsistent across pre-order holders and quite simply lacking in meaningful information. I can deal with the latter and to a degree with the less frequent communication, but they're no longer a small start up company with less than 100 employees. I would really like to see them (Mr. Caravano and his department(s)?) get better organized with their "direct" communications (meaning NOT social media) with their pre-order holders.

FWIW, I've received two emails of substance from Rivian that I can recall since my pre-order well over a year ago. The first, and many months latter, was a Happy New Year email from RJ. The next one took a pandemic to occur to receive a "progress report" email.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Same here. IIRC May 12 is shortly before Rivian announced the Customer Engagement Center was going to be located in Normal and that they would be hiring 40 or so employees by the end of the year. Perhaps with the additional staff they're trying to communicate more or at least with the new and fairly recent pre-orders. Regardless, if Rivian determined the information in that email was important for the new pre-order, why would they not think it would be important to all the previous pre-order holders?

Tony Caravano is the Senior Director, Retail & Customer Experience for Rivian and is located in Plymouth. Now I don't know if the Customer Experience department is moving to Plymouth, and/or being renamed as Customer Engagement or will remain in Plymouth with Customer Engagement being an additional department. Whichever department is responsible for communicating with customers, my impressions are, and have been, they're going through some serious growing pains. I get it, but unfortunately their communications are infrequent, inconsistent across pre-order holders and quite simply lacking in meaningful information. I can deal with the latter and to a degree with the less frequent communication, but they're no longer a small start up company with less than 100 employees. I would really like to see them (Mr. Caravano and his department(s)?) get better organized with their "direct" communications (meaning NOT social media) with their pre-order holders.

FWIW, I've received two emails of substance from Rivian that I can recall since my pre-order well over a year ago. The first, and many months latter, was a Happy New Year email from RJ. The next one took a pandemic to occur to receive a "progress report" email.
I agree 100%!

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
I don't want any communications until I there is firm pricing and delivery dates

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Okay, I can qualify. What don't we know that would make sense to tell us before their first production line is up and running and every part/supply source is nailed down? Until everything is lined up, it's better to hint what colors will be available, than promise them in a press release.

On the financing side, it looks like they're working on providing their own insurance, which only started recently. What can they announce about a subscription plan that's committal before they've sorted that out? Does it make sense to talk about loans/leasing before subscription is sorted out?

When does it sound like they'll be fairly certain about all these details? In late summer when they launch the configurator. They've stayed consistent on that point since after Covid hit. And that doesn't sound crazy. If not for Covid, we'd be getting a test drive in Chicago about two weeks from now.

That said, if the paint has been secured I'd really like to see the for-realz paint jobs on actual vehicles now. We know there's at least a black and a green R1T somewhere.

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Okay, yeah, I'd also like to know when the test drive events will happen now that things are moving again. At least whether hoping for fall test drives would be delusional.
Sponsored