Sponsored

Amazon to Acquire Another AD Company?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Amazon completed their purchase of Zoox for around a $1 billion .

I do wonder/hope that this technology is cutting edge and that we'll see a partnership with Rivian pop up here to enable those cool "meet me at the other end of this hike" autonomous vehicle capabilities.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-acquire-self-driving-startup-zoox-11593183986
It will be interesting if Rivian can leverage the Zoox system, or any other for that matter, considering Rivian has already developed, to a degree, a software infrastructure to support their own level 2 autonomy and the eventual level 3 and higher. It will probably come down to how well these third party systems would integrate with what Rivian has in place. Regardless whether Rivian develops it themselves or goes with Zoox or some other, it's going to be years down the road before it becomes available, so I for one will not be holding my breath on this.

The WSJ article can only be viewed in full if you're a paid subscriber. For those not subscribed, here's another media source (of many) covering the acquisition for ease of reference -
TechCrunch: "Amazon to acquire autonomous driving startup Zoox"

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If the assumption is that Amazon is interested in applying AD for package delivery and Amazon has an order for 100k Rivian delivery vans, I suspect there is an intention for them to work together. But... Amazon could have other plans for the Zoox tech.
Sponsored